Caring for Curls: Curly Hair Care

Mask OF Life

Reaction score
my curly hair goes all frizzy and uncurly when i comb it. that swartzcof (sp?) stay in moisturiser is useless. do u ppl know any think that will define my curls? my dove shampoo and conditioner seem to work for 2 minutes then when my hair drys it goes boofy curls :lol:

Well, my hair is pretty obnoxiously curly, so I'll give you my routine. I wash and condition it at night and go to bed with wet hair and when I wake up it's dry and cutely curled up. Then I shake it out and fluff a little and that's it. Combing it breaks up the curls and makes it into a bigger mass than I like, so I usually only do it about once a month. Curly hair tends to be drier and more brittle than straight hair and can't stand up to a lot of brushing; I don't comb it often because, well, I have other priorities. Hope that helps.

I'm confused
you only comb your hair once a month.
I have curly hair and if I did that i'd have dreads my first week of not combing.
Try brushing it while it's wet with conditioner in it. Also to keep the frizzies at a low, I like mousse. Separate the hair into three sections and mousse away :smile:

I suggest you use gel while your hair is still wet. When it's dry it stays curly without looking wild. (p.s. don't use super strengh gel 'cause then your wair will look wet and stiff all day long)

Oh, good point. I forgot to mention that my hair is only about shoulder length. It used to be longer, but you're right, I got sick of trying to comb the dreads out. I don't bother to fight frizz because where I live is very humid. Damn, I'm lazy.... :wink:

you want to talk about lazy?
my trademark hairstyle is a bun
THAT'S laziness.
And in the summer, if I don't feel like gelling the front down, I jsut wear a scarf

I have extremely curly hair. Even when it is behaving, I still look like I have dreads because the curl is so tight! I feel your pain, sistah!

First of all, do not shampoo everyday and make sure you condition everytime you take a shower. Comb it when it is wet. Find a good heavy conditioner to use once a week (I like the All Soft one by Redken!) and let it soak in your hair for a good while.

I would also suggest a gel. Biolage makes a fantastic one. You only need a little bit to go a long way. If you're short on cash, the curly line by Pantene Pro-v works lovely. When applying the gel, start at the ends and work your way up to your roots to avoid the dreaded helmet hair (you know, when it sticks to you head at the roots and then BAM! poofyness!). Flip your hair to the front, side, and back to further combat the evil Helmet Hair denom. I would also suggest buying a hairdryer WITH a diffuser. They aren't too expensive; I picked mine up from Wal-Mart for under $20 and it works lovely.

Curly Hair Care

I'm using Garnier Fructis right now, and I like the smell and the softness, but it just doesnt last all day.
What do you like to use?

Thanks for the help! :heart:

I would apply some Hair serum( i prefurm hair serum by hjohn freida) and you put a little in your hair after your shower and it hodl the style of you hair :smile:

Herbal Essences Mousse I find to be good at giving definition without crunch.
Also, I like the Sally's version of Paul Mitchell Super Clean Sculpting gel. Both are fairly cheap, too!

This website helped me a lot with questions about taking care of my curly hair.
www.naturallycurly.com

Herbal Essences Mousse I find to be good at giving definition without crunch.

i used HE mousse for years until i fell in love with the Paul Mitchell Super Sculpt
soft sleek curls with no frizz and no crunch!

I use Garnier Fructis too!!! I love the conditioner that comes in the little tub. And when I don't blowdry it straight I use their mousse to keep the curls frizzless and not weighed down. Mousse is so great...so much better for curly hair than gel. I find that gel weighs down the curls and makes them look disgusting rather than bouncy and cute. Umm yeah I could write a book about the trials and tribulations of curly hair so I'll just stop here!

Originally posted by college girl@Jun 12th, 2004 - 11:29 am
I'm a john frieda anti frizz products addict :flower:
Me too! My medicine cabinet is filled with just about every product of that line.

I'm also a sucker for Neutrogena's new moisture-something-or-other line. Look for a yellowish-orange packaging, the line includes a creamy shampoo, think conditioner, and genius leave-in that I use waaaay to often. During the summer my curls really take a beating being in the sun and chlorine as often as I am, and the more conditioner I use, the better. I've been meaning to buy Infusium 20-something (is it infusium 21?) leave-in spray... anyone use that?

Originally posted by StyleTeenie+Jun 15th, 2004 - 1:01 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StyleTeenie @ Jun 15th, 2004 - 1:01 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-college girl@Jun 12th, 2004 - 11:29 am
I'm a john frieda anti frizz products addict :flower:
Me too! My medicine cabinet is filled with just about every product of that line.

I'm also a sucker for Neutrogena's new moisture-something-or-other line. Look for a yellowish-orange packaging, the line includes a creamy shampoo, think conditioner, and genius leave-in that I use waaaay to often. During the summer my curls really take a beating being in the sun and chlorine as often as I am, and the more conditioner I use, the better. I've been meaning to buy Infusium 20-something (is it infusium 21?) leave-in spray... anyone use that? [/b][/quote]
my friend has gorgeous curls and she loves infusium (23..or something) and like I said her hair is very pretty :flower:

I have the new neutrogena leave in stuff.. i love it.. I have wavy hair, I want it to be wavier but I don't know how

I really can't give tips, but I badly wanted to post this picture... Curls are just so yummy to me. I guess it's a case of me wanting what I don't have! :lol:

I wish I had the perfect curls. Mine are wavyish and weird.

BUTTTT there's this awesome product that I just got and it makes curly hair WONDERFUL! It's called Rockin' Ringlets..you can buy it at www.jessicurl.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nationalsalt
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->