Caring for Curls: Curly Hair Care

Originally posted by Mask OF Life@Mar 13 2004, 07:49 AM
my curly hair goes all frizzy and uncurly when i comb it. that swartzcof (sp?) stay in moisturiser is useless. do u ppl know any think that will define my curls? my dove shampoo and conditioner seem to work for 2 minutes then when my hair drys it goes boofy curls :lol:

You should use a large wood comb while your hair is still wet - preferably right after you rinse. Combing curly hair when it's dry is big no-no.

Originally posted by twilight fairy@Oct 8 2004, 08:16 AM
I wish I had the perfect curls. Mine are wavyish and weird.

BUTTTT there's this awesome product that I just got and it makes curly hair WONDERFUL! It's called Rockin' Ringlets..you can buy it at www.jessicurl.com
[snapback]390141[/snapback]​

I read a curly hair message board, and a lot of people there use Rockin ringlets and LOVE it...def worth a try.

Like others have said, don't shampoo your hair everyday, and when you do only put the shampoo on your scalp- don't pile all your hair up in a sudsy mess. Leave your conditioner in for a few minutes. This is a good time to comb through your hair. Rinse, and put your product in fairly wet hair..when you don't towel dry your hair you don't muss it up and cause frizz.

I take my showers at night, so when I go to bed I "plop" my hair onto an old t shirt and tie it at the nape of my neck. This keeps my hair from getting all wild and messy when I sleep on it. When I get up, I take the t shirt off and shake out my hair a bit.

I hope I could help a bit! Curly hair is so beautiful...it does take some work but when you get down a set routine it's not so bad. :flower:

Originally posted by fortezza@Mar 15 2004, 02:52 PM
I suggest you use gel while your hair is still wet. When it's dry it stays curly without looking wild. (p.s. don't use super strengh gel 'cause then your wair will look wet and stiff all day long)
[snapback]188753[/snapback]​

Fortezza,

I love your hair when its down and curly. And I happen to like the wet look throughout the day. Its a bit different seeing that when everyone else has super straight blow dried hair.

Ok. Well, if you want stiff, curly hair, go for gel or mousse and apply it when its wet.

I have curly hair. Its fabulous. I love it. I use a salt water spray when its dry and Frizz ease when its wet.
(NEVER WHEN IT IS DRY! N E V E R !)

I comb it with a wide tooth comb when it is fully saturated with water and a super-thick conditioner (I have tried everything, and I swear by Pantene Pro-V Hydrating Curls) Once a month I apply a bit of vitamin E oil to the ends. I shampoo my scalp once a week. Get it cut by someone who KNOWS curly hair, and dont get behind in your appointments. Frizzy ends aren't masked well by gel.

If your curls are frizzing a bit, then use a water spritzer, tousle your hair, then spritz with a bit of hair spray. a bit, not a shower.

Originally posted by fortezza@Mar 15 2004, 03:52 PM
I suggest you use gel while your hair is still wet. When it's dry it stays curly without looking wild. (p.s. don't use super strengh gel 'cause then your wair will look wet and stiff all day long)
[snapback]188753[/snapback]​

it also gets crusty after a while ;/

purplelucrezia said:
I really can't give tips, but I badly wanted to post this picture... Curls are just so yummy to me. I guess it's a case of me wanting what I don't have! :lol:
:crush: More very juicy curls.

Well my cousin has really curly hair, one thing that works great for her is using Biolage's Gelee hairgel, she washes her hair, uses the hairgel when the hair is wet, and goes to sleep with her hair laying somewhere but under her head :lol: ... in the morning the hair will be amazingly curly, set, no frizz, no super wet shine...

Another thing that works also is using Biosilk's Silk treatment when your hair is wet, or dry, and using a diffuser to define the curls...a light hairgel spray will do to set those f**kers in place :lol:

I never understood how going to bed with your hair wet produces beautiful curls. I have naturally wavy/curly hair, and when I go to bed with it wet, I end up with some sort of nasty dent in my hair when I wake up!

Well, you have to be religious about it, sleep on your chest, so your hair is practically laying over you, or just throw it over your head, and lay it over your pillow... the hairgel will dry without any tease, so when you get up, your hair will look awesome :heart:

hair question

so my problem is, when i wash my hair and it is wet, it is nice curly and when i let it dry it is still a bit wavy but when combing it, the waves are gone. does that mean my hair is slightly wavy by nature and how can i make the curls stay (a hairdresser even meant once it seems i have a light wavy hair by nature..)

dont brush or comb it just use conditioner and brush it through before hand so it wont be knotty, or try an afro comb or a wide toothed one which wont tugg the curls out

I have curly hair and my advice is never to brush the hair when it´s dry. I don´t even own a brush! lol :P

If you want the waves/curls to stay, comb it after washing (while it´s wet) and then apply some curl cream or gel. Then scruch your hair a bit with your hands and leave it to dry naturally or if you need to use an hairdryer use it with a diffuser. But whatever you do, try to keep your hands off your hair.
Then, when it´s dry, don´t comb it or brush it, or if you really have to, just pass your fingers trough it, like AlmostFamous said. :wink:

Brushes and combs or curly dry hair ruin the curls and destroy the form of the curls, making the hair look like a fuzzball! ^_^

i have natural wavy hair and it doesnt look good if i just air dry it because its not curly or anything like. i always flat iron it after drying but i was wondering if there was another style that i could do because i do have a litle wave to it and i want to not damage it that much anymore with flat iron and hair dryer.

lprocks said:
i have natural wavy hair and it doesnt look good if i just air dry it because its not curly or anything like. i always flat iron it after drying but i was wondering if there was another style that i could do because i do have a litle wave to it and i want to not damage it that much anymore with flat iron and hair dryer.

I have wavy hair, but I love it because I can easily make it curly or blow it straight (which I rarely do:P )

After the shower, either run your fingers through your hair or use a wide toothed comb. Don't rub your head with a towel, as it can make your hair "frizz up". If you want it drier before you blow-dry, use a towel over your hands to scunch the hair. Apply some kind of hair product specific for curls ( I love Sebastian Texturizer-- it is not made for curls, but it works really well on mine) from roots to ends and scrunch the hair while applying. Use a diffuser or a diffusing attachment on a low setting to dry/set the curls.

I find it is better to touch the hair as little as possible while drying. If I have the time, I put product on while my hair is pretty wet and diffuse it dry. With this method, I can turn my wavy hair into pretty ringlet curls:flower:

paprika_hiccup said:
I have wavy hair, but I love it because I can easily make it curly or blow it straight (which I rarely do:P )

After the shower, either run your fingers through your hair or use a wide toothed comb. Don't rub your head with a towel, as it can make your hair "frizz up". If you want it drier before you blow-dry, use a towel over your hands to scunch the hair. Apply some kind of hair product specific for curls ( I love Sebastian Texturizer-- it is not made for curls, but it works really well on mine) from roots to ends and scrunch the hair while applying. Use a diffuser or a diffusing attachment on a low setting to dry/set the curls.

I find it is better to touch the hair as little as possible while drying. If I have the time, I put product on while my hair is pretty wet and diffuse it dry. With this method, I can turn my wavy hair into pretty ringlet curls:flower:

thanks so much ..i will have to try that. i need to find something else to do with my hair because i just dont want to damage my hair when i always dry and flat iron it.

This works for my really curly hair: Run your hand through your hair from the bottom up and hold your hair out away from the root by making a fist. Dry the roots only. Keep doing this all over your head. This way, the roots dry but your curl is maintained. Let the rest dry naturally.

More techniques that work for me:
--Keep your hair in a towel as long as possible so most of the moisture is absorbed, then follow my tips above.
--Put my hair up in a ponytail on top of my head with the elastics or barrettes that won't tear my hair, add few rollers and let my hair dry. Gently remove the rollers and take your hair down, finger combing it into place.
--I also have used the Scrunci bun gadget to roll my wet hair into a bun, dried it with the blow dryer, then released it and finger combed out the curls.

Hope this helps,
Amy

woot people thanks a lot! i tried yesterday with letting hair dry and putting styling mouse for curls in it and really it is a bit curly today ^^ i also found some serum i bought some time ago for curly hair which i will put in today after washing it and than doing as you said and not touching my hair....see how it'll turn out ^_^

again thank you all :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"