Catwalk Trends F/W 04.05

kittycomplex

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a newbie to these boards :flower: I was given an assignment at work today that involves forecasting the Fall trends. This is all new to me, so I'm kind of freaked out :blush: I spent some time looking through fashion week pics, and I'm having a hard time finding common themes between the shows :blush: Here's what I've noticed (and of course I could be wrong) Minis are out and skirt that fall below the knee are in with a fit and flare shape...purple seems to be popular...everything looks very lady-like...I also noticed a lot of fur collars on jackets and flowy wide leg pants. Could someone please help me out?
My boss also suggested looking for trend forecasting services, like wgsn.com. Does anyone know of any other? Should I check out the library at FIT?
Thanks so much for helping me :heart: :heart: :heart:

You can try FIT's library.. it may be a little help... I dunno. I guess I would just pay close attention to fashion week... read your WWD, you'll find lots of info on this board, I think.. but in general, I think you're doing pretty well with what you've got so far. I've also noticed the lady-like thing happening. I haven't been able to watch the metro channel to see FFF.. tonight I caught Luca Luca and Tracy Reese... both very nice lines.

my aunt's a fashion designer, and she orders these "Collections" books...one from Paris, Milan, New York, and London. she usually gets it around March, and it shows the fall collections, you could look into that

ummm...yeah minis have been out for a while now. high waists on skirts

There seems to be this trend of the suit look and fur is everywhere. :huh: That's just my observation :blush:

Originally posted by Salvatore@Feb 12th, 2004 - 2:04 pm
There seems to be this trend of the suit look and fur is everywhere. :huh: That's just my observation :blush:
yes, u r so right. :wink: YSL has done so many suits for ladies and fur is everywhere too :flower:

These hats are EVERYWHERE :ninja:
12.jpg

The territory where Tom Ford was treading, mapped out by Thierry Mugler and Azzedine Alaïa in the ’80s, in his Fall 2003 collection.

100095996.jpg
100096004.jpg

they're like the vagina skirt by tom for YSL a few season ago...i loved it!!!

i think that besides going to the FIT library, you would probably do best if you waited until some of the more directional trends from the paris and milan shows emerged because while new york fashion does weigh heavily on future trends (esp. houses like donna, marc, ralph, et al) a lot of them shift around whatever occurs in paris and milan

with that said, the strongest trends i found in new york fashion for fall of 2004 came from the extension of the suiting and ladylike trend this dying winter and budding spring...while there are no "total looks" i feel that there's a very clear and particular idea of the "put together" outfit. several houses put out coordinating skirt sets and matched the accessories to the textures in the outfit and then tied it together with bold coats. not that dresses ever went out, but the dress (as typified by zac posen) in unique but somber colors are a must for fall/winter. suiting also will carry over into fall/winter, but instead of the somewhat minimalist and squeezing offerings of spring, the suit lets out a little and gets an energy and detail all its own...we saw it from proenza's smart and colorful to oscars balmain-like evening suits all the way to the young tuleh who pair suiting with a logoed tee. finally, to top off every look in the coming fall, the strong, tailored coat, with the fur scarf, and ever-ready glove, quickly and thoughtlessly add the flavor of prim and proper to any ensemble.

Definitely color. They're not just sticking to black and browns. While I like the different colors, I still favor black.

Fur seems to be big as well :cry: :angry: I want it to go away! Or at least see more faux then real. :innocent:

to uncode fall/winter 04.05 trends you need to have a look at the shows
(try FS's designers & collection section).
main trends will not be stabilised until the end of Paris shows (mid March)

my own predictions based on NY fashion week fw04.05
*v-necks
*knee lengths
*satin (again)
*tweeds (again)
*green&brown&blue
*powdery colours
*pale fur

rising:
*diamond motifs
*leaves

i think seeing a lot of jade greens colors and different variations of green.
interesting use of shapes...more circle hems and circle cuttings.
a few animals embroided onto clothes...sorta folling on from last season.
fur...i'm hopin it's not all real...but i hate hate HATE fur...hehe...it better go away and stay at the high end of fashion.
there's a sorta laying of fabrics...it's interesting, i've seen it at two particular collections.
gold colors
use of tuelle...reemerging again since it didn't have enough air time...last time.
a lot of knits...but i don't think it's a trend
triangle breast shapes... | |
/\/\
sorta like that... :wacko:
i really want old skool to come back...a la libertine.
and the big one...40's

tiny jackets:
as seen in kate moss's ad with chanel
100124734.jpg
100124725.jpg

100124728.jpg
100122493.jpg

BOW on the shoes!

MARC JACOBS
100124521.jpg
100124517.jpg

LUELLA
100124782.jpg
100124786.jpg

B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L!! :woot:

TIE THE BOWS

It's even seen in OSCAR DE LA RENTA FALL 2004

100124046.jpg
100124051.jpg
100124045.jpg

*even on the arms as seen in the last pic from what it looks like

Wear it around the neck, around the waist, above bust, under the bust, around the ankle and even on the shoes!
It's everywhere!

well...i think it's safe to say that the poncho craze that started this fall is shaping up into a full blown trend with capes seen on many runways for the fall '04 season... from burberry to junya watanabe to a.f. vandervoorst

i'm also thinking that vests are looking very new and fresh for the first time in a long time... they work well with the blouse trend that's happening and are a nice alternative to a jacket...they look cute cropped or long, fitted or loosely belted...it's also something that alot of women don't already own, so it gives them something to go out and purchase...

these are just my observations...it will be interesting to see what actually happens...

any thoughts? :flower:do you see any trends developing?...

Moccasin flats.

So yes, when the weather in NY hits above 50 degrees, I will SO be sporting those with some nice capris and a bright Lacoste Polo.

ETA: Also..I like the vests, but I'm hoping to get a nice one for the fall of 04. I hope their still around by then. :unsure:

I think..I'd wear a poncho to a late afternoon beach event with a mini and some flip flops, but I think thats a trend i'll hold off on until fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->