Celebrity Engagement / Wedding Rings

texastess

Reaction score
In many of the other threads some of you refer to how pretty a celebrity's engagement ring is. I thought it may be fun to post pictrues and details about them all in one thread. This is a photo I found of J. Lo's infamous pink diamnond engagement ring, given to her by Affleck. I'm not certain of the cost or the size. I read that it was returned to the jeweler after the engagment was irrevocably broken. If true, I wonder who has it now???

2830629.jpg

:clap: yay! fabulous topic--especially because I was trying to convince my boyfriend last night that Paris (female edition) was flashing around a 24karat ring! now i'll have to hunt down some photos

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate Hudson has quite a rock, not sure how many carats though. I think it's cushion cut.

wow!

I insist that Jessica's Simpson's is the nicest... IMO...

is it true that in Europe a diamond is not common and that instead they give like rings with rubies, or saphires, etc?
I had heard this some time ago...

^ I wouldn't think so, diamonds are always a girl's best friend, even in europe :P
All my friends engagement rings are diamonds.
Although...mine isn't cause I didn't want my ring to be, I guess it's all about
what one prefers. :wink:

Billy zane's fiancé/wife ( ? ) has a nice ring and so does Kate Beckinsale, but it's
a little too big for my liking.

Heidi klum's ring is fantastic ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Diamonds weren't always "involved" when it came to giving rings of love..DeBeers (sp?) the big diamond company, made a hugely successful campaign back in the 50ies I think promoting diamonds as the "love-stone" so to speak.. I'll see if I can't find a link to the story..just goes to show that a advertising ploy can do...

From http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/archives/16/diamonds.html

Engagement, Inc.:
The marketing of diamonds
[ By Robin Edgerton ]

In the late 1800s, the Oppenheimerfamily established a diamond monopoly with its company, De Beers. Around that time, Victorian culture was busy assigning abstract concepts to material objects. For instance, Kate Greenaway’s wildly popular The Language of Flowers (1885) ascribed a meaning to each specie and variety of flower. A yellow rose meant platonic love, for instance. Such assignations applied to stones as well, which sometimes increased a substance’s value.
The idea that diamonds represented "perfect love" evolved during the Victorian era but was reinforced with a vengeance by the market manipulation of De Beers.
In the 1930s, De Beers set out to establish social status for large diamonds through giving a number of starlets hefty stones, arranging for glamorous photo shoots, and script-doctoring Hollywood movies to include scenes of jewelry shopping. The tradition began to be manipulated more closely in one particular aspect–the act of giving. Those starlets told tales of being surprised by their large stones. Movie scenes featured a hero giving his gal a big rock and watching her eyes grow wide with joy. The diamond began to be injected into relationships between men and women as a reproducible act–a script for life, not just film–and an inseparable part of courtship and marriange. In 1947, De Beers’ ad agency came up with the massively successful slogan "A diamond is forever," which implied that diamonds don’t crack, break, or lose value. (They do.) The slogan became so entrenched that the only proper way to "dispose" of diamonds was to hand them down to a female descendant.

Other techniques De Beers used are familiar today; they sent representatives to high school home ec classes to teach girls about the value of diamonds and feed them romantic dreams. The diamond went from being a status symbol to an emotional one–love measured in carats.

Ten-year anniversary rings were created and heavily advertised in the 1960s after De Beers was forced to purchase large stocks of Russian diamonds. Most of these diamonds were small, white gems of less than one-quarter carat. As De Beers had been pushing engagement rings with larger (and mostly South African) stones, they had to adjust their campaigns. Hence the eternity ring–equally expensive but with smaller stones–was marketed specifically for anniversaries.

In 1967, De Beers contacted advertising agency J. Walter Thompson to popularize the diamond engagement ring in Brazil, Germany, and Japan. While De Beers found limited success in the former two countries, Japan far exceeded expectations. By 1978, half of all Japanese brides received a diamond engagement ring. By 1981, the number had grown to 60 percent; the "tradition" had taken hold. Just how did the J. Walter Thompson agency accomplish this? A basic but general ad campaign similar to that in the U.S.–the diamond ring was pitched not as a product but as a symbol.

Well, I'm actually not a huge fan of diamonds just because of the way DeBeers has used its gigantic monoply to manipulate costs and public opinions. I guess when I think diamonds, I think more of how corporate monopolies than romance. So, I guess none of these big diamond rings appeal to me so much. However of the ones shown, I like Sienna's the best.

I aslo like Nicole Richie's pink ring and Heather Mills's blue one....because there's something different about them.

someone should post all 4 of j-lo engagement/wedding rings. and see which man had the best taste:P

UNiQFashionista said:
my 12 Carat sparkler! :smile:

Uniq that is lovley! ^_^
I must ask tho, do people assume its fake... because I have a large ring too (half your size I would say) and people have striaght asked me if its real!
Makes me so mad! :angry:

Us Weekly scan of replica wedding rings of celebrities. You know you can also buy imitation wedding rings of celebrities at http://www.emitations.com (under Shop By Collection, Celebrity Jewelry)

usscan.jpg

I agree with morgan, I think one of my favorites is Nicole's.

Billy Zane's fiance is Kelly brook, she has made some films (tried to break america, and I think she was in smallville), she also presents and models.

Intereseting article Babyjane... I must say tho, Posh Spice's ring is *way* bigger than the 3 ct (fuzzy..?) size stated...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nauseated
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->