Christian Dior 'J'adore' Fragrance 2024 : Rihanna by Steven Klein

Coco Mademoiselle is the equivalent of Miss Dior, no? I always thought J'Adore was Dior's equivalent of Chanel No. 5?

Either way, the No. 5 advertisements are always superb. I mean they have Marion Cotillard dancing on "the moon" in an advertisement directed by Johan Renck! And even though we know it's CGI, somehow it doesn't look as tacky as what happened here at Versailles with Steven Klein.

CHANEL

The video for N°5 was not filmed with CGI, a set with lunar soil was rebuilt.

At least back in 2015, the looks were giving.
I think her vibe is more in line with that dark sultry glamorous look in the Secret Garden ad than the regal presence required for Jadore. If they really wanted a black female mega star IMO Beyonce or even Jodie Turner Smith for something very unexpected and regal.

g9wtxl9rd9qj-1280x1280-kamxzqjo-1521593967.jpg
JODIE-TURNER-SMITH.-2-jpg-683x1024.jpg

ELLE / somethingaboutrocks

Her profile is very beautiful, they should have gone for three quarters shot or profile.. she looks pig-like in that picture very unflattering!!

I think her vibe is more in line with that dark sultry glamorous look in the Secret Garden ad than the regal presence required for Jadore.
It doesn't even have to be dark. It can just be seductive. Lupita came to mind, Zendaya also.
09c274a21bb7b6882cb0b7fa026b9ae8.jpg
Zendaya.jpg
It's so weird that they had Rihanna be bossy and tell us to make our dreams come true. It's not glamourous.

But then again, I had a look at Natalie Portman's ads with them lately and they're a mess. 'Wake up !' ... Whatever.

1000471202.jpg

Reddit

If the fashion industry wasn't trying to tick boxes (in the most obviously insincere way using the same 5 people to do every job) Elizabeth Debicki would be a great replacement for Charlize. She has a similar regal aura.

If the fashion industry wasn't trying to tick boxes (in the most obviously insincere way using the same 5 people to do every job) Elizabeth Debicki would be a great replacement for Charlize. She has a similar regal aura.
So true !

So true !
View attachment 1304648

Reddit

The bottle has clear African Maasai and especially Asian Kayan long neck ring womans as inspiration, (neck rings are worn usually to create the appearance that the neck has been stretched) if we talking about taking the right boxes lol

Charlize is a south African woman and it makes sense to choose a super talented big celebrity/artist that has bi racial features as a follow up chapter ...Carmen Kass did already the amazing job as the porcelain regal doll , so time to pick another crayon in the box of talent and it happen to have another color & size this time.
She is Dior because she has been wearing it in different ways for years, if Charlize being African can be Hollywood glamour so can RIRI she don't need to be on the beach and in tropical colors because she can do both as well including with extra kilos to her curves.

The let down is the whole production around this latest DIOR J´Adore version, styling and fit and poseare meh!!!! because Rihanna can take striking pictures and she been connected to the house since raf years and with other campaign so it was her turn to take a step up with a bigger campaign.

Elizabeth Debicki is just not big enough to push sales for a fragrance this big, that's the reason only 5 people get to do the job maybe she should do more icons things as well and she will get a ad campaign soon.

Last edited:
she don't need to be on the beach and in tropical colors
That's her roots though. That's probably how she grew up. She's from Barbados. Ain't nothing wrong with chilling by the beach. Ain't nobody talked about something wrong with her curves. Charlize might be African but she's as European looking as it comes. Let's not make this about Africa because Rihanna is not African. She has African roots but she's not African. It's not just the production that's wrong, it's the vibe. I don't need some billionaire celebrity talking to me like some Instagram life coach about making my dreams come true.

Last edited:
In the end it all comes down to the hypocrisy of the industry turning a fragrance ad into a Ted talk and forgetting about the basics like good production. Rihanna is stunning and one of the most recognizable names in the world but her image and the resulting ad just didn't align with the perfume. There are alot more than those 5 people the industry always calls on that are doing big things in different industries and if Chanel could use Whitney Peak (whose career hasnt really taken off post Gossip Girl) then Dior can also use someone thats on the rise. Rihanna today is very different from Rihanna from a few years back. Today's Rihanna is a billionaire businesswoman with a major beauty empire who would want to use the opportunity as chance to maintain her working relationship with one of the world's biggest fashion conglomerates. If it was Rihanna from her music years, am sure the product would be quite different because the Rihanna at that time would think about how the ad will look as opposed to how it will benefit her as a business woman. She would never be seen in that wig for starters.

8bec8b9800399bb07dfaf0f424f1a338.jpg

buzzfeed

The bottle has clear African Maasai and especially Asian Kayan long neck ring womans as inspiration, (neck rings are worn usually to create the appearance that the neck has been stretched) if we talking about taking the right boxes lol

Charlize is a south African woman and it makes sense to choose a super talented big celebrity/artist that has bi racial features as a follow up chapter ...Carmen Kass did already the amazing job as the porcelain regal doll , so time to pick another crayon in the box of talent and it happen to have another color & size this time.
She is Dior because she has been wearing it in different ways for years, if Charlize being African can be Hollywood glamour so can RIRI she don't need to be on the beach and in tropical colors because she can do both as well including with extra kilos to her curves.

The let down is the whole production around this latest DIOR J´Adore version, styling and fit and poseare meh!!!! because Rihanna can take striking pictures and she been connected to the house since raf years and with other campaign so it was her turn to take a step up with a bigger campaign.

Elizabeth Debicki is just not big enough to push sales for a fragrance this big, that's the reason only 5 people get to do the job maybe she should do more icons things as well and she will get a ad campaign soon.

Last edited:
In the end it all comes down to the hypocrisy of the industry turning a fragrance ad into a Ted talk and forgetting about the basics like good production. Rihanna is stunning and one of the most recognizable names in the world but her image and the resulting ad just didn't align with the perfume. There are alot more than those 5 people the industry always calls on that are doing big things in different industries and if Chanel could use Whitney Peak (whose career hasnt really taken off post Gossip Girl) then Dior can also use someone thats on the rise. Rihanna today is very different from Rihanna from a few years back. Today's Rihanna is a billionaire businesswoman with a major beauty empire who would want to use the opportunity as chance to maintain her working relationship with one of the world's biggest fashion conglomerates. If it was Rihanna from her music years, am sure the product would be quite different because the Rihanna at that time would think about how the ad will look as opposed to how it will benefit her as a business woman. She would never be seen in that wig for starters.

8bec8b9800399bb07dfaf0f424f1a338.jpg

buzzfeed
i get what you mean regarding the ted talk /hypocrisy (but beauty ads are cringe and have to be many things to many people and regions non offensive is the motto but yet trying to get attention/buzz ), but it's also a easy assumption to make ...regardless Rihanna moves product and is established modern icon and been with the house for some time now, its like ceo moving up the ranks in LVMH group to get the bigger job at LV or DIOR after some years.

I totally agree the production value and styling let her down or she was not fully present or interested, the outcome is not iconic level i agree 1000 % but that it should have not been her!!! this i totally disagree it makes on many level sense to have her at Dior in this ad by now.

Chanel has a bigger line up of frangesce so they can diversify more with target audiences, young, older or established or new etc etc
J'adore is like the Chanel nr 5 of Dior , and they needed to stay in the now with attracting new customers and still have something that makes for iconic status.

Would not make sense to use a new comer for Jadore now, maybe in the future will be a big rising star and the timing is right to renew/replace the current campaign star.

That's her roots though. That's probably how she grew up. She's from Barbados. Ain't nothing wrong with chilling by the beach. Ain't nobody talked about something wrong with her curves. Charlize might be African but she's as European looking as it comes. Let's not make this about Africa because Rihanna is not African. She has African roots but she's not African. It's not just the production that's wrong, it's the vibe. I don't need some billionaire celebrity talking to me like some Instagram life coach about making my dreams come true.
Roots are for trees, i know her history and that's why i pointed out that Charlize is African on purpose to proof the point regarding how someone looks versus there excepted versatility to be chic or not for a luxury House.

It's like putting Charlize in a box since she got a Oscar for playing a real life serial killer she should only do a edgy brand like Balenciaga lol

How come we don't underline her roots because she looks european ? lol

Rihanna´s vibe is many things she is a artist and actress, Jadore is such a abstract woman any ways.... the bottle is not based on european beauty ideal for once, there is a feature of gold and strength around the campaigns as part of the message..... its a wide open vibe checklist if you ask me !!!! to say Jadore is a set type of woman is just not factual.

Jadore woman is all this and more :
Charlize-Theron-Monster-900x506.jpg
Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 13.55.21.png

For me, the issue is the complete lack of connection.

You hire someone known for having a variety of businesses under their own name, and then you apply the most generic treatment to what should be a spectacular new chapter in the history of a well-known perfume... it has all the magic of Rhianna sitting at a desk, signing this contract as the nth piece of paperwork she's had to get sorted that day, with her own brands as the higher priority because she's got more control over those. She'll turn up, go through the motions for J'adore, and reinvest the money in her own empire.

and reinvest the money in her own empire ...

Fenty Beauty is owned by LVMH, but Rihanna's lingerie brand, Savage X Fenty, has had several investors, including:

• L. Catterton: A private equity firm backed by LVMH's Bernard Arnault

• Avenir: A company founded in 2017

• Sunley House Capital: An investor in Savage X Fenty
    • Advent International: An investor in Savage X Fenty
    • Marcy Venture Partners: A venture capital firm co-founded by Jay-Z
    • LionTree: A New York-based private equity firm that invested in Savage X Fenty

For me, the issue is the complete lack of connection.

You hire someone known for having a variety of businesses under their own name, and then you apply the most generic treatment to what should be a spectacular new chapter in the history of a well-known perfume... it has all the magic of Rhianna sitting at a desk, signing this contract as the nth piece of paperwork she's had to get sorted that day, with her own brands as the higher priority because she's got more control over those. She'll turn up, go through the motions for J'adore, and reinvest the money in her own empire.

And she's got no stakes whatsoever in these brands or the use of her name, and she's doing it all for a monthly salary (not even any overtime!) and a pat on the head - and also out of the goodness of her heart.

She just loves lipstick and perfume, you know. A bit of singing on the side, when she has the time.

I wonder what else she does have going on, because it's bound to be more than underwear and make-up. That's just the stuff we hear about.

I've seen the commercial over and over on TV and I can only say that I miss Charlize Theron a lot. That perfume will have her face forever, although obviously I have nothing against Rihanna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dafraz117
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->