Christian Dior S/S 2012 Paris

I love how they brought back the Bar jacket. Its a perfect match for this dropped shoulders/cocoon shape trend that we are seeing.

And the collection does pay an homage to the heritage of the house of Christian Dior.

Still, I feel like Gaytten is stuck on rigurous colour palette and somehow his dresses are a bit off.

I give this show a solid seven.

IDK, seeing the show start reminded me of all those old Galliano/Dior shows, the dramatic lighting and the way it traveled down the runway...John should be here

Amazing introduction, this collection was better than expected. That's a plus, an unexpected plus. But it still feels very naked....I miss seeing an oversized coat, plumes of feathers wrapped around someones head, sheer fabric slipping away, something to really slap the viewer in the face with something fantastic (something that only fashion, specifically Dior's identity in the 2000s, can offer and nothing else)....hmm........

I think it if Mr. Gayten does get to hold on and really head Dior
we'll get a hard time first with the changes, this looks very underwhelming when we got used to Galliano's flamboyant designs, exaggerated silhouettes
and of course the trademark color palettes.

hope for another improvement next season
its too much red, dry colors and ruffles make some of it look like Valentino collection.

I noticed Gayten's new Dior trademark has those colored checkered
metallic like mosaic embeds, I don't like it :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
The real tragedy of the whole collection is that there was no climax or drama to speak of, which has become a norm for Gallianos collections. The collection was just there just for the sake of being there.

If it wasn't obvious enough that LVMH only cared about selling perfumes and handbags, this made it even more obvious at how poorly made and poorly designed this collection was.

the collection is lovely but it lacks excitement and that show-stopper pieces. And the palette itself is pretty yawn.

Accessories! (style.com)

00020m.jpg
00050m.jpg

00080m.jpg
00140m.jpg

00170m.jpg
00210m.jpg

Those shoes looks wildly uncomfortable, even if they weren't too small for the models!

Nothing special here.

Woah...seeing close up photos of this collection.........it looks really awkward : /......

I think another thing that needs to be pointed out here is the fact that this is essentially a winter collection; what with the palette and quite a few dresses being made entirely of leather.
It seems that some sheer dresses (which, to be honest, appeared in every Galliano collection towards the end) and sleeves cropped just below the elbow on every jacket are the only points that makes this a spring show.
I'd also like to mention how awfully hard the models were instructed to 'fierce'-up the looks, as with Olde Dior collections, though it seems quite ridiculous when all the model has to work with is a plain bar-jacket and a tulle skirt. In fact, the whole show was reminiscent of the mid-noughties collection.
Compare: Dior F/W 03-04

This feels very appropriate for Dior, though it would be nice to see a little more flamboyance - such was the case under Galliano. Galliano has developed the brand into a dreamy, eccentric fashion house, with a unique vision of femininity. I just don't see any of the theatrics in the collection, which is a pity. But it certainly isn't a disaster collection as some have said.

Today I was in a big bookstore and found Roxanne Lowit's Backstage Dior book, which is backstage moments from every John Galliano for Dior show. I was quite emotional seeing all these iconic clothes and models amd I realised that this era is officially over, giving it's place to a stale and old-fashioned Dior. This collection might be tasteful and commercial, but it looks like it could be a high-street brand's expensive line. Not only it lacks Galliano's wow factor, but also the techniques and fabrics used look really cheap. I just have to accept that if this going to be Dior from now on, I'll have to abandon the brand that made me fall in love with fashion.

You can definitely see this new dude really put a lot of efforts to make it "DIOR", but it looks like a mix of Jason Wu, Alberta Ferreti, a tiny bit of Valentino and even tinnier bit of Dior. IDK, this man needs some time. Or Dior needs Galliano back :smile:

I guess the only good thing about collection is that Dior is now your one stop shopping time saver. You can buy the whole entire collection in one store and the rest of the world would probably think you went to several stores and bought some Versace shoes, a few Jason Wu, Valentino, Miu miu etc.

These are horrible frocks, but then Galliano was doing just marginally better for the recent collections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marinamelolp
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->