Comme Des Garcons: "Body meet dress, dress meet body" S/S 1997

Hmmm, The pictures that were posted werent from the Lumps and Bumps collection i dont think. The lumps and bumps collection had a way diffrent feel to it. Hmmm, maybe its lost forever. :(

Hmmm, The pictures that were posted werent from the Lumps and Bumps collection i dont think. The lumps and bumps collection had a way diffrent feel to it. Hmmm, maybe its lost forever. :(
i think you are referring to the show with the models wearing all black, am i right?
same idea though
with the lumps
i remember it was more of a performance because the models seemed to be dancing

the pictures here, the clothes in colour and in various fabrics, i think it's "Body meets Dress; Dress meets Body" collection than Lumps & Bumps...

^ I was so sure that SS07 was the "lumps and bumps" collection, so I searched and came up with this via wikipedia

The 1997 spring/summer collection, often referred to the 'lumps and bumps' collection, was a much talked about show in Paris that season. It featured predominately tight tops and skirts that were swollen by goosedown-filled lumps which distorted the body shape. This led to a collaboration, also in 1997, between Rei Kawakubo and New York-based choreographer Merce Cunningham called 'Scenario'.

wikipedia

Then I found this article in The NewYork Times

Horyn introduces Japanese fashion designer Rei Kawakubo, the mastermind behind the innovative Comme Des Garcons house. Kawakubo, a clothier for nearly 40 years, is known for grappling with "problems of consciousness" through collections like her 1996 Lumps and Bumps, whose Quasimodo-like pieces challenged the boundaries of female form, volume and space. Kawakubo has also helped reinvent the fashion business, granting proteges Junya Watanabe and Tao Kurihara the freedom to develop distinct brands under the Garcons umbrella. Horyn paints a colorful, even awesome portrait of the designer, who maintains control in her studios while fostering creative autonomy.

brijit.com

Maybe we need another confirmation???:unsure: cause gius, you really made me doubt myself:blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
ah !

here you go, this is where i got the title body meets dress; dress meets body
http://collectionsonline.lacma.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=jump;dtype=i;startat=13
it's also s/s 97
& the clothes/theme seems the same

hmm, maybe the books will be able to confirm it...
if i go downtown tomorrow, i'll see if the library has the book that might have this collection in it

Jambakindy are you sure it was a different collection? how was it different?

Yes the lumps and bumps col.. is the body became dress became body coll. back in ss97 - as said above, NOT the all black coll.

i think it wasn't a -fashion- show ^
it was more like a performance
maybe a ballet ?
i am pretty sure the lumps were used as costumes...

the SS97 show took place in 1996 - that might be the case :-)

i think it wasn't a -fashion- show ^
it was more like a performance
maybe a ballet ?
i am pretty sure the lumps were used as costumes...

Gius, it was a show. the clothes had kind of pockets for paddings so they could be pulled off, if a client could not wear them :-)

I think, going back to the original request, it can only have been the summer 2005 collection, which someone else has already suggested, especially after the mention of tutus. I think I read somewhere that this collection was called 'Advanced America' can anyone else confirm this?

there was this recent one... fall / winter 2007

2r27rza.jpg

2aam0z4.jpg

4dopqx5.jpg

getty

nice but weird... the fall/winter 07 is nice!! very creative and uh somehow wearable... the one shown in the previous page is very revealing!! and uh weird!!

The lumps and bumps was definitely the spring/summer 1997 collection.

You can watch shots from the show here as well as an extensive reference on her collaboration with Cunningham and commenst on how the whole thing was perceived by the fashion world tback hen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k72OBYBlnus&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
So they are the same t hen, thanks melt :lucky:

i wonder what jambakindy is referring to then

O.k, ive done some more research. Style.com reffered to the lumps and bumps collection as being from the late 80's. The one I'm trying to find was a lot more exagerated. The models walked down, and turned from side to side to show off their distorted figures. UUGGGHH, this is going to kill me!. Oh, and a picture I once saw from it, I think the dress was polka dot. hmm.......

oh, I'm intrigued now...

I found these:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dress Spring/Summer 1997[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Rei Kawakubo (born 1942), Japan, for Comme des Garçons (established 1969), Japan [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]stretch nylon-urethane fabric with printed decoration; goose-down pad[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On loan from the Kyoto Costume Institute[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This dress forms part of Kawakubo’s controversial ‘Lumps’ collection, which featured padded lumps that exaggerate or change the female form, challenging our idea of what is ‘normal’. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To create this collection, Kawakubo was inspired by images from the natural world as well as devices from the past such as bustles or corsets that were used to accentuate different parts of the body. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kawakubo puts odd-shaped lumps in new and unusual places. Some critics considered the lumps disturbing, finding them suggestive of either pregnancy or cancerous tumours[/FONT]

source: japonism in fashion

[/FONT]

Attachments

• AC9412_lrg.jpg
    AC9412_lrg.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 269

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->