Styling: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Jawara
Make Up: Sir John
Nails: Miho Okawara
Celeb: Beyoncé, Tina Knowles
Models: Alex, Hewan Asfaw, Vivica Dehi, Kat

crfashionbook.com

Last edited:
Trying to do something but failing here. Sometimes simplicity really is the answer. What a missed opportunity to make something great with Beyonce.

P
I liked the previous Beyonce CRFB issue. It was chic…A bit contrived but chic.

Beyonce is an interesting case for me with fashion. She is a natural, timeless beauty. I think that Testino has perfectly captured that side of her.

Then, there’s another side, which is the performer that I think nobody has captured perfectly yet. Her connection to fashion comes from her stage presence. Her fashion icon status comes through that. Nobody cares about her off-stage looks. Her stylists do her wrong everytime anyway…

And so here, Carine missed the mark. Beyonce don’t have to be edgy.
Put her on the hottest looks of the season, have a fan on set, capture her in movement and there you go.

Carine needs to call Fabien Baron. Really or a seasoned Art Director. This magazine doesn’t have any ounce of vision.
So far, she can attract the biggest stars because of her connections but without top fashion talents, this is useless

Perfect critique. i think Carine should have given her the 'Carine' more chic upmarket glamorous like she does best. She looks really beautiful with the natural makeup but the edgy style seems contrived on her. I like the pic of her with the black wig though. Her mother killed it here.

Reactions: KoV
Tina did not have to eat up her own daughter like that.

One thing about this shoot does deserve credit, though. Beyoncé’s magazine shoots can recently feel indistinguishable from other promo for her work (this Vogue UK’s July 2022 issue) whereas this shoot doesn’t feel like it is aesthetically 100% in service of her upcoming country album. I fully expected leather fringe jackets, cowboy boots and cowboy hats. So I do appreciate that aspect.

Its safe to say that ESSENCE understood the assignment. They beat Vogue, CR and other huge publications at their job.

GGyQFr2XQAAT_AL.jpg:large

ESSENCE-MarchApril-CoverStory-IG-01-1-scaled.jpg
ESSENCEMAGAZINE-0324-ES-CVS-002-WATERMARK-1-scaled.jpg
ESSENCEMAGAZINE-0324-ES-CVS-003-WATERMARK-1-scaled.jpg
ESSENCEMAGAZINE-0324-ES-CVS-005-WATERMARK-3-scaled.jpg

Beyonce-Essence-Magazine.jpg

essence

Well, Mama Tina is the star, I'm sorry Bey!

Beyoncé is not Kelela or Solange, either. She didn't need to try to capture an essence that's not hers.

They could've booked Nadia Lee Cohen since she's working with her...

This kind of styling suits better with Solange. Beyonce is more a pop queen than an indie darling.

I like Pamela, and more power to her, if she wants to waltz about with a bare face - there are worse ways for a person to sustain public interest in themselves. Or to promote their new skincare brand.

But for someone who was once so honest about their surgical procedures, Pamela is failing to sell me the idea of "I want to challenge beauty" with her minimal-to-no make-up look, when she's had procedures done to her mid-fifties face to look as 'minimal' as she does.

Make-up washes off, but the effects of these procedures last for months. Is this like a small print thing, where someone gets to claim, "I never said I was natural."

You can't sh*t someone who's not far off the same age themselves.

And 'not wearing make-up' isn't challenging beauty when it's the default for a huge number of people. The average of young, middle, old is a person who doesn't bother much with it.

PAMELA ANDERSON: “I JUST WANT TO FLIP THE SCRIPT; I WANT TO CHALLENGE BEAUTY.”
Photographer: Roe Ethridge
Styling: Elly McGaw
Hair: Matt Bens
Make Up: Cyndle Komarovski
Nails: Honey
Celeb: Pamela Anderson

crfashionbook.com

I think that these are a great set of photographs of Pamela Anderson. She is makeup-free but is also shown in a good light. This makes a difference to me.

Last edited:
BEYONCÉ: “BEING SAFE IS BORING.”
Photographer: Louise & Maria Thornfeldt
Styling: Carine Roitfeld
Hair: Jawara
Make Up: Sir John
Nails: Miho Okawara
Celeb: Beyoncé, Tina Knowles
Models: Alex, Hewan Asfaw, Vivica Dehi, Kat

crfashionbook.com
Catastrophe! Nope, skip, next!!!

I like Pamela, and more power to her, if she wants to waltz about with a bare face - there are worse ways for a person to sustain public interest in themselves. Or to promote their new skincare brand.

But for someone who was once so honest about their surgical procedures, Pamela is failing to sell me the idea of "I want to challenge beauty" with her minimal-to-no make-up look, when she's had procedures done to her mid-fifties face to look as 'minimal' as she does.

Make-up washes off, but the effects of these procedures last for months. Is this like a small print thing, where someone gets to claim, "I never said I was natural."

You can't sh*t someone who's not far off the same age themselves.

And 'not wearing make-up' isn't challenging beauty when it's the default for a huge number of people. The average of young, middle, old is a person who doesn't bother much with it.

Is Pamela still having procedures? If she does, it absolutely looks less intrusive than the majority of 20yo and Bella already deep in filler/botox/cosmetic surgeries. Some of these 20yo with their pinched and still swollen frozen faces that look like the 45yo women with too many procedures in a desperate attempt to look 20. Pamela is more than convincing with this so fresh/so clean new image. She still resembles Charlize’s Aileen Wuromos in some angles, but that’s not a slight on her. Not sure about authenticity, as celebs and authenticity is the equivalent of oil and water; always like the mean girls that attempt to appear kinder, more generous, more empathetic— just to win the minions over. However, Pamela's leagues way more convincing than anything Beyonce’s selling. The again, who isn’t remotely more authentic next to the Queen of fembots???

What I can’t tolerate is the most basic, test-shot-esque effort of these shoots. Flat test-lighting; random wardrobe changes; and lazy compositions, etc …It’s all so amateur glamour shots at the local mall effort. Even Walmart puts more of an effort in storytelling.

(The only solid image is the profile portrait with the headpiece/hat. Unintentional of course because why would they put in any effort for reference in 2024— resembling a Flemish painting. These uncreatives really don’t even hide the slightest that they don’t care anymore. CR aways look like these shoots were taken in the changing room of a department store. Such a budget-looking rag.)

At the very least, forehead - especially the 11s - absolutely under control in some way. Eyelids, potentially, gravity is a b*tch when the 50s come calling, although targeted botox on her forehead is probably hoisting that area a bit, if nothing else has. The lips - potentially permanent remnants of her former filler, in which case, she might not need to touch them up these days.

Wrinkles present but not permitted to be too deep. All that time outdoors in the sun and only lightly kissed by it, in the long-term. It's a nice skin to be in, but it's taken work.

Like I say, she's recently become co-founder of a skincare brand, so this bare-faced persona is all part of the big commercial machine. I fully expect her to claim in interviews that she's had nothing done (perhaps leaving out 'within the last three months'). Skincare, it works wonders. Honestly! Buy it!

Having obvious plastic surgery has become the remit of the young, who want to show they can afford to make the effort. Helena Rubenstein was attributed as saying "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones” which has since been updated to "There are no ugly women, only poor ones".

It all involves having something to sell, whether its lies lipstick, skincare or procedures.

PORTRAIT OF A LADY
Photography: Sebastián Faena
Styling: Carine Roitfeild
Hair: Matt Bens
Make-up: Cyndle Komarovski
Model: Amelia Gray

crfashionbook.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member