Crocs

Try as I might, I cannot quite wrap my mind around this fact:

There are people who are active members of tfs who own Crocs and wear them proudly.

Seriously, it makes my head hurt. :blink:

The flats look better, but the originals are awful. If they're so comfortable you're only going to wear them at home, can they really beat a high-quality supercushy pair of slippers?

I saw a super pregnant woman wearing them today and decided that may be the only segment of the population I can forgive for wearing them in a fancy mall :rofl:

^ Haha, I agree. But still...arent a nice pair of flats comfortable enough. I think the toll taken on my pride (whilst wearing crocs) would make them equally as painful!!!

OMG, an old man (probably in his 70's) just walked by my office and he has on PURPLE crocs, with a yellow shirt and purple hat.

It is so funny!

Well I'm from Israel and EVERYONE has these... and if you don't own a pair your soo not "in". a pair of crocs is definately a"must" over here.

To be honest with you, those flats are wonderful because im sure they are absolutely comfortable.

StyleSnob said:
I will cancel my subscription to any magazine that makes crocs look trendy or praises them in any way :yuk:

AHHHHHH I might have to eat my words!! I kid you not, in this week's issue of "In touch" magazine, there is a 1/4 page article on them in the Style Section!! It shows a picture of Terry Hatcher and her daughter sporting green crocs! Noooooo! Haha i never thought the day would come. :lol: :yuk: :sick:

Well, I think they look cute on toddlers and little kids...but other than that, I find them extremely UGLY. :P

from boston.com

and please, keep in mind that is the 2nd time this summer that the Boston Globe has devoted print space in the Thursday Style section to articles on crocs, enough already :doh:

Cut the clown shoes

1155212296_0175.jpg

"Crocs" shoes, available at Whole Foods for $29.99. (Photo by Dina Rudick/Globe Staff)

By Christopher Muther, Globe Staff | August 10, 2006

August 10, 2006
Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a glimpse of something giant and orange, and was quite certain that Mickey Mouse had arrived for a day at the beach. Because who, but a giant cartoon rodent, would be interested in strutting publicly in orange foam clogs? The answer is this summer's most depressing fashion trend (and I'm using the term fashion quite loosely). The giant orange shoes at the beach were not attached to a registered trademark of the Disney company, but a 50-something-year-old dad who was wearing Crocs.

For those who have had the good fortune to miss them, Crocs are the foam shoes that resemble the clogs my sister wore in fifth grade, cross-bred with an Ikea cheese grater. Crocs are the Merrells of 2006, only squishier and, not to mince words, even more repugnant. But this has been the summer of Crocs. Much like David Hasselhoff and West Nile Virus, I can't get away from them. People wear them at the beach, to the convenience store, and in restaurants (cut to me losing my appetite). Shop for tabouli, and there are Crocs for sale at Whole Foods. Look for a birthday card for your grandmother, and there are more Crocs selling at the Hallmark store next to the over scented lavender candles. I'm flummoxed that people are eagerly paying $35 to enrobe their feet in Crocs when they could be spending their money on more aesthetically pleasing fashion options, such as the stretch pants sold in the back of Parade magazine.

Nurses, sous chefs, professional gardeners, children under the age of 8, and anyone with an employee ID from Barnum & Bailey are fine to wear Crocs. If you fall into one of these categories, please don't write me an angry letter. If you don't fall into one of these categories, I encourage you to unite with other Crocs owners, light a bonfire, and melt those homely things into beer can cozies for the needy. The company sold 6 million pairs last year -- that's a lot of beer can cozies for the needy.

Normally I'm Teflon to these fashion trends. But Crocs have stirred a rare emotion inside me, the same feeling I experience when I see people wearing sweat pants in the grocery store or Paris Hilton's quivering little dog on E!. I understand that no one is immune from bad fashion decisions -- just ask me about my unfortunate bolo tie phase in high school -- so consider this rant to be nothing more than kind advice from a friend, a friend who can't stand to see any more people walking around in Grandma the Clown's footwear this summer.
And the BEST part is that this little ditty topped the most-emailed list today, it was forwarded 567 times. Clearly, people feel strongly about crocs :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never say clogs are out of fashion. They are a more comfortable fashion despite the fact that mules are sort of all the rage nowadays. These crocs are probably going to be challenging flip-flops in terms of a suitable, casual fashion. I would imagine that they are pretty popular. I kind of like these better than some of those slippers with the little flowers on them that most casual types wear. These are going to be a hit with ladies young and old.

I also noticed that Ellonasty brought up in Post #16. They don't look bad. Those may catch on like some of the regular flats popular now. I'll give these Crocs some credit. I'm okay with these shoes.

i didn't know they had a name...!...
my upstairs neighbor has an orange pair he got in puerto rico that look adorable on him...

he's five years old...:innocent:...

:lol:...

They look like rubber duck beaks. People wearing duck beaks on their feet.

Wouldn't your feet get really smelly in them because they're made of rubber/plastic/whatever?

I don't like them :yuk:

^I agree, I can't stand them. They look like something you can break rocks with.....no offence.

omg everyone in Hong Kong wears them!!! argh i really dont like them. everytime i see them i feel like melting them. The only people i dont mind wearing them are little children. They look adorable in them! esp. in really bright colours like hot pink.

All these crocs are killing me. If you're going to wear a hideous but ugly shoe, why not find a classic neutral that blends in with the floor instead of retina-searing neons? I see everyone in these, and there are so many comfortable, practical shoes that AREN'T crocs that I know a large number are just trying to make a fashion statement. I live with my grandma, who buys nothing but comfort shoes, and even she won't touch these with a 10-foot-pole. And I won't even get started on those little pins you stick in there. Why not go with a nice, old-fashioned charm bracelet instead?

OK, I'm stopping now before I start ranting. I work with people, so I see this stuff all the time.

I worked at a wedding today, and a guest was wearing red crocs. Granted, it was a total hippie wedding, but still...

These are catching on here o.O I cannot fathom why someone would buy these ridiculously ugly shoes. If you're going for comfort, wear some sneakers! I twitch involuntarily whenever I see someone sporting these. They couldn't have invented an uglier shoe if they tried.

:shock: the next pair of 'house&garden' shoes on the streets. And I thought it would be over with the death of uggs.

They're in the shops here too, but I havn't seen anyone on the street wearing them yet. I thought they would be for the beach until I read this thread!!! Reminded me of this cute little jellie shoes I had as a child for the beach.

I give them max. 2 years then it will be over and some new ugly shoe will replace them....

I'm sort of okay with these shoes. I wouldn't get any, but I guess I'm okay with these shoes. I don't like them as much as I like traditional mary janes on ladies, or even wedge sandals. They'd probably be best with beach wear. And I guess in defense of these Crocs clogs, at least they aren't those Ugg ankle boots that all the girls wanted to tuck pants into (and were arrested by the fashion police). Do you think these Crocs will end up being the next gaucho pants as being an all-year fashion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->