Cyber Punk

Hed_Kandi

Reaction score
I've heard something about Cyber Punk fashion being influenced by movies like the Matrix and Blade Runner.

Anyone know anything about this ?

a guess

the only people I know who were pretentious enough to describe themselves as 'cyber punks' [and I just about broke out laughing in their faces] dressed like bicycle messengers, or in ski clothes, and listened to a lot of DEVO music.

oh, also they said this novelist William Gibson/'Necromancer' [?] was the guy who patented the cyborg schtick about 25 years ago. go figure.

hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
s s s

s s s was more explicitly ELECTRO Punk

cyber punk does look like the matrix but as I said it lloks mostly like bike messenergs & ski clothes & its based on william gibson novels

cyber punks are very much like cyber goths, they both have hair extensions, dreads, plastic lacing, sometimes they wear circuit boards :woot: fun times.

cyber punks tend to listen to industrial. they're kind of annoying.

heynicepants said:
sometimes they wear circuit boards :woot: fun times.
ROFL!!!!!! :lol: :fofl: its so true!

there is a town here called Camden which is like something out of a movie.....the stores are all wierd and gothy and there is a store called CYBER DOG

and its all like wierdo bondagy clothes and glow in the dark things :sick:

I've always considered the term cyber-punk to be synonymous with rivethead.

I can't help but laugh when I hear people refer to themselves as such! :lol: To each their own, I suppose...

Acid said:
there is a town here called Camden which is like something out of a movie.....the stores are all wierd and gothy and there is a store called CYBER DOG

and its all like wierdo bondagy clothes and glow in the dark things :sick:
i like cyberdog... :rofl:

160008.jpg

if anyone even remembers this... :rofl:

Kel said:
I've always considered the term cyber-punk to be synonymous with rivethead.

Well there is a difference. Cyber-punks are built from computer parts and neon synthetic materials. Whereas rivetheads wear black trenchcoats and black combat boots and various other black clothing items and generally avoid wearing spray-on latex...

They're both ridiculous though. :smile:

there are these kids at my school that dress like they are from the matrix.. big black boots and trench coats with spikes chains and of course sunglasses indoors.. It's a hoot.

Cyberpunk? The look was pretty big at raves in London a few years back, still is in some circles.

The Cyberdog label (Camden town, London), is the one that springs to mind. Quite an entertaining shop to visit, whether its your style or not. :P

Cyberdog

hee hee

oh also some people say they dress 'cyber.'

again its hard not to laugh in their face.

Then it sounds like the Matrix is what was referred to as "Rivethead" style above. I thought the Matrix stuff was kinda cool within that context. But I couldn't imagine some kids at school dressed like that.:lol:

A few of my friends are into this, it's quite big in the UK.

Tends to be a crossover between raver and goth styles with a bit of influence from Japanese streetwear, Westwood/McLaren era punk and S&M fashion - lots of black, UV reactive colours, PVC, spikes, chains, zips, masks/goggles, etc.

Cyberdog, Jupiter, S.D.L, Prohibition, Swear and New Rock are a few of the larger designers (last two exclusively designing footwear). As mentioned, all these shops are centred in Camden, London and a couple of designers working out of Germany-ish.

People like Hot Topic and Lip Service try and rip off this style in the US and do it poorly, in my opinion.

I think the style looks incredible when done right, although all the brands mentioned above do have an unfortunate reliance on man-made fibres and almost universally poor construction quality.

http://www.lithiumpicnic.com/portfolio/albums/userpics/aj_silverfixed800.jpg
http://www.lithiumpicnic.com/portfolio/index.php?cat=19

very popular in hard house clubs...

Cyberpunk... have you ever seen the movie "Hackers" with Angelina Jolie? or the 5th Element? that's cyberpunk.

i'd say it often looks like a mating of fetish wear and ultra modern almost utilitarianism. so mix some latex with some helmut lang, put on some new rock boots...and you have cyberpunk.

it can actually done well, but usually its done cheaply. i have a lot of cyber-punk esque pieces that i have picked up over time though...and when i wear them i certainly don't look like i just walked out of hot topic.

-jovana

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apriloneil1987
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->