Demna Gvasalia - Designer, Creative Director of Balenciaga

Balenciaga under Ghesquière was around the same in price, but it seemed more justified as Ghesquière's propositions for Balenciaga were often quite hardcore in terms of ready-to-wear craftsmanship. Balenciaga under Ghesquière was like a Proto-Balmain in a way..
But that was the runway collections. Most of it was made in France, with the Couture-like quality and limited editions.
In a way the runway prices also allowed them to maintain an aura of exclusivity because the commercial collections that were divided in capsules were much more accessible. Balenciaga under NG overall was priced around Lanvin and YSL. Their biggest commercial success was the motorcycle jackets…
And back then, given that NG owned 10% of the brand, his voice was somehow heard in terms of quality of production. The shoes weren’t made in China like they did for Demna…

Those prices are crazy for sure, but what is the problem exactly? They're a private company, producing luxury goods. They're not obligated to make their goods "accessible." It's not a human right to be able to afford a Balenciaga jacket. It's simple supply and demand. They must have the clientele for their goods at those prices if they continue to charge them. People are so entitled these days.

I don't think it's the prices, I think it's how stupid the clothes are. Or rather a combination of both.

His job is pretty safe for 2 years until the new contract I guess. After the recent show Demna even said that he didn't take a bow because that would mean the end and its not the end for him in Balenciaga yet. Maybe its because of Gucci crisis, or kering already invested too much in his vision (first Demna fragnance is on its way) but Pinault seems to protecting him.

It's really simple. They think they can make more money with him than without him.

As soon as that changes, or they think that will change, he's gone.

^ Thank you for posting. I expected a more interesting or honest article from the New Yorker.
Balenciaga is really pushing him forward with the recent interviews/profile stories. Makes me wonder if he's still going to stay at the house for a quite while. I guess the real test will be the next show.

That's.. a 9,857-word article. I do love how these controversies are reformatted.. you warm up the readers with 5 pages of spectacle, finally address the elephant in the room in page 6, and to be frank, that's done well (the controversy started for a good reason but s*it hit the fan when Fox News picked it up and blended it with the Dark Ages content their viewers devour). Instead of getting a smooth landing, though, which would've been riskier but could bring better results, we then get interrupted by long paragraphs on Demna's tragic background, lowest point being the Freudian bit bargaining for the viewer's empathy ("as soon as he could write, he composed a letter to [his parents], “in which I told them that they don’t understand me and they don’t really love me and they don’t know who I am.” [...] “It would have helped me a lot in my adult life if they reacted differently" :woozy:). Then we get Cristobal as some kind of shield and finally the beginning of a new life away from.. toxicity? lol.

Honestly, I would've been in for the ride because the 'scandal' is neither here nor there for me at this point, and I could not care less for his Balenciaga but this is where I drew my line and was like nah, actually I'm not giving you any sympathy, you pretentious little f*ck:

Demna applied to the fashion school at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp, a famously demanding program that was comparatively inexpensive. At his admission interview, someone asked him his favorite designer, and he said Dries Van Noten, because he’d just seen the name in a shopwindow. Fortunately, Van Noten was a member of the Antwerp Six, a group of pioneering designers who came out of the school in the nineteen-eighties. Demna was in.

Okay if the author bought this because she probably doesn't even know (she writes about refugees so she's doing this just for $), but why lie, Demna? so you just randomly thought, of all f*cking fashion schools, the one in Antwerp sounded like it was worth applying for, and you went through the application process and headed to the interview and somewhere, passing by some f*cking store you saw 'Dries Van Something' in a window, it could've been Bebe or Von Dutch for all you know, but somehow Dries' name stuck, you had no designer that you admired at that point, no names you were familiar with or anyone you looked up to in fashion, you just walked into fashion blindfolded and guided by your oh so pure sociological inclination for uniforms, and somehow in that interview, you randomly said "Dries Van Noten", aka. one of the most hyped Belgian designer in the early 00s WHEN YOU WERE INTERVIEWED. Sorry but ?? what's happened here? a never-meet-your-heroes story? too cool to give credit to someone who knows a few things you don't such as building a career with dignity and the kind of creativity that never needed a pool of mud to animate the corporate junk that you unveil for the suits like a clown?. Why even tell this useless piece of your past if you're ashamed of it?.

I just can't with this level of arrogance. Instead of going to Zurich and hiding in a bunker with a sewing machine and thinking about his Georgian past or his parents' neglect (the poor parents that walked for days with children in an effort to provide them a better life and he's still hammering publicly about lack of love :vomiting:), he should've gone somewhere and tried ego reduction, it's a program, you clean floors and stuff like that. He's already doing that for Kering so why not do it for himself.

They should flush him in the summer. It's a quiet time to make necessary changes.

Last edited:
For someone trying to dial it down with the theatrics, the slew of sob stories and social persuasion he and Kering are trying to do is in of itself pretty theatrical. So superfluous and campy, and once again comes across as extremely out of touch.

I'd say just move on and stay quiet, but they seemingly can't because it is now the only talking point they have to maintain relevancy no matter how much it affects sales. No sympathy or empathy from me here, even though I am of a party that thinks the whole scenario was probably blown way way out of proportion by the masses. Someone has failed to take accountability for their actions and are making excuses for themselves. Sounds like several of my students...

The best thing to do is to let the work speak for itself but then they tried that last show and all it revealed is his Balenciaga is built on nothing but theatrics.

Should I feel sorry with this mea culpa from a designer and [they’re so intertwined at this point] brand that sold and continues to sell in even higher prices basic merchandise cloaked in gimmick and nothing else? This is not working for them time to pull the plug.

Demna’s fashion doesn’t rely in theatrics per se.
Or didn’t use to. The first collections, AW16, SS17,AWA7 were my favorite from him.
Great tailoring, no hoodies, no sneakers. Classic set designs for the shows.

The hype turned him into a showman sadly. And I hope that now he will be back to his roots and focus more into clothes than set designs. Even if the last collection is tepid, I hope he will bring new ideas.

In the Vogue interview in the April 2023 issue he claims he is "never on shoots". Does anyone believe this claim?

In the Vogue interview in the April 2023 issue he claims he is "never on shoots". Does anyone believe this claim?
It’s believable because it’s possible. There are designers who aren’t present during yhe shoots of some of their campaigns but they are heavily involved in everything pre and post-production.
If you have a photographer, a stylist and close collaborators you trust, they can do the work that might satisfy you. But the beauty of today is that the designer can be send all the shots almost immediately wherever he is..

So maybe Demna should stop trying to avoid any kind of responsability in this. Not being in the shoot doesn’t mean anything as those campaigns were totally on brand and he validated them at some points.

Balenciaga is not that big of a house to claim that it was done without his knowledge. Nicolas doesn’t have a say when Carine does the Vuitton campaigns with Meisel but Carine still has people who have to validate her work before it appears on magazine…

The aftermath of this controversy is even more annoying than the controversy itself. If the campaign was well received he would have been more than happy to receive the praises…For something he claims to not have been involved with.

On a busy Saturday, I noticed the Balenciaga boutique was empty as it was the previous week , at least in the US, this brand seems to have been canceled and shunned by the American public.
In Paris too, empty shops ... I mean there are "riots" and some garbage in the streets but last Saturday people were still queuing or waiting for their appointment at Chanel, Goyard, LV, Loewe, Celine (perfume shop or flagship), YSL (Rive Droite), Hermès, even Bottega Veneta, but yes the Balenciaga ones were very empty.

On a busy Saturday, I noticed the Balenciaga boutique was empty as it was the previous week , at least in the US, this brand seems to have been canceled and shunned by the American public.

They are doing fine here in the middle east

In Paris too, empty shops ... I mean there are "riots" and some garbage in the streets but last Saturday people were still queuing or waiting for their appointment at Chanel, Goyard, LV, Loewe, Celine (perfume shop or flagship), YSL (Rive Droite), Hermès, even Bottega Veneta, but yes the Balenciaga ones were very empty.
Lots of the multi-brand stores in Geneva (not sure about the rest of Switzerland) still sell Balenciaga, but the floor layouts have changed a lot. Balenciaga has been pushed near the back of the store with Jacquemus and Valentino for womenswear, and Off-White for menswear taking up the old spaces. The womenswear selection has shrunken too, with most of the offering being floral print dresses or discreet black clothes. The menswear selection is still the same.

These lines are so humiliating, why is it even seen as good PR :lol:.. waiting for a table is fine, but lining up on a sidewalk for fashion, or carbs (like for something grotesque like a circular croissant)? have some self-respect and just order online where no one can see you!

I see the Balenciaga logo at least once a day in ny, to the point it's made me wonder if it's all on discount somewhere, this and that Marc Jacobs' 'the tote bag'.. I swear people are getting this for less than $50 somewhere, where? I don't know. I actually saw someone at the gym rolling on the floor in a Balenciaga w-h-i-t-e sweatshirt over the weekend. What's up with that? can't imagine ever taking Ghesquière's Balenciaga to a gym and wiping all the candida auris with it.

Lots of the multi-brand stores in Geneva (not sure about the rest of Switzerland) still sell Balenciaga, but the floor layouts have changed a lot. Balenciaga has been pushed near the back of the store with Jacquemus and Valentino for womenswear, and Off-White for menswear taking up the old spaces. The womenswear selection has shrunken too, with most of the offering being floral print dresses or discreet black clothes. The menswear selection is still the same.
That's what I take back from Mr Pinault statements; they suffered in North America and Europe, not so much in the rest of the world. And the heavily branded merchandise (it's difficult to call it clothes or shoes) has been removed.

Not a lot of queuing in general at nyc boutiques.

Balenciaga has been completely empty though but who knows based off of our personal observations how they are really doing. I would be interested to see the numbers and hear from their analysts.

Of course you will see balenciaga in NYC but it’s hard to know if they are new purchases since they have released the same merch for how many years now.

It would also be worthwhile to see if prices are dropping on the resale market. People will still buy but what is the demand.

This was the perfect time to reset the brand even if they wanted to keep Demna. Yesterday on the Demna Instagram page, they posted images of balenciaga scrunchies and hair clips that one would find at the beauty supply store for 99 cents but balenciaga branded of course. It feels weird now when the brand no longer has that hype.

At this point he needs to do something actually elevated kind of like his earlier collections

It would also be worthwhile to see if prices are dropping on the resale market. People will still buy but what is the demand.
This was my (not so clear) point, not really the frequency or means to acquire but the contradiction of this narrative using some wildly informal sources (‘my friend overheard another friend whispering..’) that Balenciaga is so cancelled no one is wearing it and that it’s been positively annihilated in the US and like.. has it? clearly a lot of people have zero qualms wearing it out there. It’s nowhere near a MAGA hat lol, it just doesn’t have the stigma or any of the stigma at all that the people who follow fashion think it has.

It can totally recover but please do flush the man not for a tragic ad but for his gen x s*it (‘wouldn’t be able to tell you who Madonna is because I only listen to Nirvana’.. anyone remembers when elevating yourself like this was a thing? :rofllaughing:).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skinnybackstage
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->