Designers Switching Houses & Moving to New Brands

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by Psylocke, Sep 18, 2011.

1. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

That would mean that Della Valle has decided what to do with Schiaparelli.
    I have a feeling that the whole Schiap operation was motivated more by vanity - as in: not to look less than other fashion groups busily involved in heritage houses acquisitions - than by real motivation or an accurate business plan. The brand survives on marketing fluff and red carpet, they have not turned it into a believable RTW business (let alone a HC one), neither have accessories or perfumes (once upon a time a thriving business) made a step into relevance.
    I wouldn't be surprised if DDV sold the house at this point (provided he found a suitable buyer).

2. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have little confidence in Marc's ability to do justice to an important historic house like Schiaparelli ...

3. JohannesL

JohannesL Active Member

In order to become one of the top-tier brands and have the gut to compete with them, Schiaparelli needs more than a strong vision and personality, Galliano or Theyskens could have done wonders if they have the necessary support. Otherwise, Schiaparelli is another than another dormant house or another sleeping beauty. I always thought that this brand has all the potentials: the heritage, the identity, and the prestige. But time flies, today who can still remember the MET theme 2012? All are passe! I don't think they can still make it happen in the 2020s.

4. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

They had Lacroix. Unfortunately, Della Valle decided to do a stunt, produce a collection, held an exhibition and that’s it. The clothes never made it to the clients closets or even on RC.

Lacroix was in fact a good idea. Schiaparelli has an amazing potential with the right strategy. Unfortunately, nothing seems to make sense.

avonlea002 and dior_couture1245 like this.
  5. Mathewthew

Mathewthew Active Member

Oh My God, Gabrielle is the perfect choice, her aesthetic is very Chloe and she is there since Claire...I would love her to be the CD of Chloe !!!

Lola701 likes this.
  6. JohannesL

JohannesL Active Member

Lola, you are right! How could I forget they had le maestro Lacroix at the very beginning. In that case, Schiaparelli is hopeless indeed!

ecnerretneerg and YohjiAddict like this.
  7. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

Pierre Cardin has passed away today (the last living disciple of Cristóbal Balenciaga).

Will his brand get the interest of fashion industry´s biggest predators (LVMH and Kering)?...

8. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

He wanted to sell his group for years! He asked for 1billion but it was too much for any potential buyer.

The biggest asset of his group is not necessarly the biggest asset overall. I think the Arnault and Pinault would be more interested in his restaurants, homes or Space than his fashion empire composed of an awful number of licences...

9. velvetandsilk

velvetandsilk Active Member

Cardin has too much licence make business valuation and takeover is complicated.

10. jeanclaude

jeanclaude Well-Known Member

Yes, his licences are a big problem. I have seen matresses and even home appliances bearing his name...the image of his brand is totally devaluated because of this (and for the new generations Cardin as a brand or as a designer is totally unknown).

reloj_radio_bluetooth_swing_pierre_cardin_promocional_ref_z296_cifra-05.jpg
    font: www.reclamospublicitariosonline.com

entten, Lola701 and GERGIN like this.
  11. fakeawake

fakeawake Active Member

Marc at Schiaparelli?

If they couldn't make LaCroix would at Schiaparelli they should just let the brand die.

And Pierre Cardin is not important enough to revive, we are already slogging through the Marnis' and Schiaparelli's of the world. Not another Zombie house.

jeanclaude likes this.
  12. bc collector

bc collector Well-Known Member

All of the above and moreover: his style is, I'm afraid, irreparably dated:

do we need another Courreges disaster?

jeanclaude likes this.