Designers with diffusion lines

ignitioned32

Mannikin
Reaction score
When you buy clothes from designers with secondary lines, even third lines, up to fourth lines does it really take the desirability out of the mainline? Probably except for Miu Miu and Marc by Marc Jacobs 'cause the designers take good care of them and make them equally hip, but for the likes of Armani who has Emporio, Armani Jeans and A|X does it make the mainline still desirable?

Even more for the likes of Gaultier and Versace who has haute couture lines, I mean they have jean lines like JPG by Gaultier Jeans or Versace Jeans Couture so does it really make the one-of-a-kind-too-expensive-couture-clothes worth their price?

Wanna get your guys opinion?

For me, it doesn't take away from the desirability of a main line. In general, I'd much rather buy one gorgeous piece from the house line than 3 or 4 from a watered-down diffusion label.

But in a general scope, I definitely think it cheapens the name of, say, Versace as a whole when you see some logoed faux python print tacky-as-hell miniskirt in the Versace Jeans Couture line. Same with KORS, GFF, and Emporio. The only really successful and well-done diffusions I can think of are Marc, Miu, and D&G.

If a house goes to the trouble to set up a diffusion, they need to realize the importance of maintaining it. I remember when Marc originally launched back in about '98 or so. It was pretty bland and boring and I think it just disappeared for awhile until the 2001 relaunch. But I think the success of Marc will inspire more designers to launch their own diffusions and hopefully, maintain them well.

i hate some side lines with a passion.......

those being......Versace jeans couture, anything with 'jeans' on the end......like polo jeans and all that money making crap identical to 90% of high street gear with a label in the back.

the worst thing of all is when people in my school tell me they have some versace jeans......and im like 'yeah nice' and they tell me they cost them like £100 and im standing there thinking.......i could get cheaper gear from the main line than that :shock:

its like.......people buy them because they think they're buying into a brand......but all they're actually doing is getting a 3x4 label in the back :rolleyes: when i try and explain that to people they think im saying their clothes are fake........they cant understand what the 'cheap but expensive jeans label' is

i would rather buy from the main line than the side line....definately!
but what i usually do is buy some clothes and customise them. much cheaper and you can make them to your own spesifications :innocent:

I think it depnds on the designer. Like if the diffusion line is diffrent but queally good i wills till whant the stuff from both companys. But if it is watterd down cheaper versions than I real would not whant the stuff

I also think it depends on the line and the piece. If you really like something it doesn't matter if it's a diffusion or mainline. A lot of the time diffusion lines are made to allow other people to access the brand who can not afford the mainline. I don't think it's all crap. Granted some of it is, but not every mainline is amazing either. I think sometimes it goes a little overboard, mainly Ralph Lauren who has a line for practically everything but still. Not all diffusion is crap.

Think about this what if the likes of Louis Vuitton made diffusion lines like . . .

LV by Vuitton
G by Gucci
Marc Jacobs jeans
YSL jeans
Chanel jeans . . .ewwwwwwwwwwwww :sick:

there already is Marc by Marc jacobs

and YSL jeans :lol:

no kidding.......everybody in my school wears it :lol:

but i dont think they sell it in the US :unsure:

Does the Margiela 6 line count as diffusion as well? Cuz I like that line...

Originally posted by Acid@Jun 6th, 2003 - 9:35 am

are you sure . .stop messing with me I love YSL! :P :wink:

Originally posted by ignitioned32+Jun 6th, 2003 - 5:06 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ignitioned32 @ Jun 6th, 2003 - 5:06 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Acid@Jun 6th, 2003 - 9:35 am

are you sure . .stop messing with me I love YSL! :P :wink: [/b][/quote]
im being absolutely serious.....

havent u seen the shirts with the YSL logo? :lol: plain ugly, just like the ralph lauren ones!

hmm i agree about versace jeans :sick: never
or a/x :yuk: but some diffusion lines i like.

for example marc :blush: now and then are some cute pieces
and his jeans @$150 are not that expensive and cool- his jackets are and shoes i like as well. and believe it or not once in a while i will like a piece or 2 from just cavalli :shock: but to be honest i cannot afford chanel or ysl i wish i could :cry: except for maybe an accssessorie :lol: thats usually sold out :angry: [ i.e chanel crossbones necklace! im soooooooo bitter :angry:

Originally posted by Acid+Jun 6th, 2003 - 12:15 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Acid @ Jun 6th, 2003 - 12:15 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by ignitioned32@Jun 6th, 2003 - 5:06 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Acid
@Jun 6th, 2003 - 9:35 am
no kidding.......everybody in my school wears it  :lol:

but i dont think they sell it in the US  :unsure:

are you sure . .stop messing with me I love YSL! :P :wink:
im being absolutely serious.....

havent u seen the shirts with the YSL logo? :lol: plain ugly, just like the ralph lauren ones! [/b][/quote]
Ya i know about the RL ones but are'nt the YSL logo shirts fake?

marc jacobs also have Baby Doll by Marc Jacobs... the quality isn't exactly amazing but they've got some cute stuff :rolleyes: ... don't know for sure but I don't think they're sold outside of Australia...

What up with that? Baby doll by MJ . . . . :sick:

You'll never guess who has 5 diffusion lines: Oscar de la Renta! :o

For Women:
Pink Label
Oscar Jeans
Oscar
For men:
Suits and Formal
Oscar sports
Oscar Jeans
Oscar Boys
but it's only sold in the central america?

That's disgusting a society designer with Sports and Jeans label? Much better to hear from a hip designer!

What's up with that? Are designers trying to trick us or something, by selling diffusion labels outside their country? Suddenly Manolo Blahnik has a diffusion line called Manolo Blahnik sport which makes patent leather rubber shoes with heels, and is sold only Botswana or any other non-fashion country?

We are not getting are money's worth! :angry:

hmm... I always thought Pink Label was a diffusion of Paul Smith, London... or does Paul Smith have the Pink Label too?

igni: yeap, MJ has Baby Doll and I guess the name sounds better than adding a "sport" or "jeans" to his name (i.e. Marc Jacob Sports)

Yeah, Baby Doll souns much better than Sport/Jeans. But he shoud'nt have place he's name, he could just own it without putting his name!

Like there's this upcoming Parisian designer I talked to and he said if he makes a diffusion label it would be like Miu Miu(not that watered down cause intrested in maknig beautiful clothes rather than earning money) and it would not include his name cause he is much more so the mainline would be terated supreme.?Smart idea!

Originally posted by LolitaLuxe@Jun 6th, 2003 - 12:17 pm

hmm i agree about versace jeans :sick: never
or a/x :yuk: but some diffusion lines i like.

for example marc :blush: now and then are some cute pieces
and his jeans @$150 are not that expensive and cool- his jackets are and shoes i like as well. and believe it or not once in a while i will like a piece or 2 from just cavalli :shock: but to be honest i cannot afford chanel or ysl i wish i could :cry: except for maybe an accssessorie :lol: thats usually sold out :angry: [ i.e chanel crossbones necklace! im soooooooo bitter :angry:
hehe I see stuff from just cavali I liek to onec in a while :shock: !

I completely in lvoe with teh chanel cross bones necklace and pi, I woudl absolutely love to have the pin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimsplayhard
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->