Dior Homme AW 05-06

drexl said:
It means autumn-winter.

After checking out the whole collection, I must say that I like most of it. Take away the gold shoes, huge bows around the necks and you've got alot of nice wearable pieces.
Heh. I think I like the f*ck up parts more than the regular Dior stuff. This sort of mismatch is what makes some downtown looks in NYC fresh to me, because there's a weird disjoint that somehow...works. In fact, I sometimes don't post outfits of mine in the "What are you wearing today" thread because they run this gamut more than the general designer-centric looks on TFS. I always love a designer POV here and there, but I'm certainly not a strict Dior customer (but I appreciate the look on others). After so many seasons of the Dior Homme look being the 'It' look, it no longer looked fresh to me, and as far as I was concerned, I started to rebel against it. I suppose that when a look 'mainstreams,' even among people as forward as fashionistas, then I feel like it's time to find and adobt something new. I suppose that's the real appeal for me here with this collection - it's something fresher than what one expects to see from Dior. If I 'expect' to see something, I feel then that a designer gets predictable, and at least Hedi is trying something different here. Does it work over all? Well, who can say - we'll have to see the actual pieces too... that can do a lot to sway one unconvinced by the runway shots.

I don't love it, but I like it. I think a lot of you just hate that its not shiny and Hollywoodised enough as most collections tend to be. I think its a huge improvement in comparison to the whole Rasta and Hardcore Dior nonsense. I see actual vision, albeit not exciting, its still different and actually wearable!

Sometimes I wonder why people seem to applaud a designer deliberately feminizing little boys as some kind of stand against menswear being masculine... Isn't this just as horrible since he's doing the exact same thing in the opposite direction? What's wrong with the middle ground? At the same time, Hedi's tricks are remotely tolerable as they're all in the styling, it's all fake, the tie neck blouses seem to really be just scarves that can be loosened, the makeup can be washed off. If I saw any of the kids from the show strutting down the street, I'd think it was sorta-kinda-a little cool that they were living happily in their own world. I would still wonder, however, if it really captures any real sense of modernity for a grown man living in our times, which may be an unfair question since I don't really know if modernity has ever been a part of Mr. Slimane's goal at Dior, especially since the house really didn't have a set standard for menswear to begin with...

softgrey said:
haha... I SAID THAT...at the beginning of the thread....
ZIGGY MEETS IGGY... :wink: :lol:

Girl, you just get it! :flower:

On a related note, the whole Rudolph Nureyev reference of the slightly fey, elegant man seen both in Costume National and Louis Vuitton's collections echo some of the cross-dressy elements Hedi showed here. It must be in the air - the zeitgeist may be going somewhat sexually ambiguous again...

thanks for the link bakla..i still think it's a bunch of crap...
but i have to say...it does seem like some people are having trouble seeing the pieces pulled apart as they might actually be worn on the street...

perhaps the dior customer wants to be spoon fed?...
what happened to personal syle and creating your OWN look?!? !... :innocent:

:ninja:

I think when we idolize a designer to the point of collecting the brand just because it's from the brand, then yeah, we end up acting like we're spoonfed. I did that with Cloak for the past three seasons, picking up things I liked left and right, but realizing that with some items, regardless of how much I liked the design, it wasn't really me and I couldn't make them work (I've since given most of them away, although I have a pair of pants in my wardrobe that are driving me insane with guilt that I fell for them! :P). Thankfully, I'm more selective with what I purchase from them now that they no longer leave me starstruck!:blush:

I love this collection! Very me, romantic rock and roll.:heart:

and Gold shoes!:woot:

I love the gold make up to.

I'm glad to see heidi doing some thing diffrent and throwing people off a bit.

I don't like all the styling though, and it seems very 'influenced' by Xavier.

I lvoe the low slung pants with the bow tops:heart:

birdofparadise said:
Sometimes I wonder why people seem to applaud a designer deliberately feminizing little boys as some kind of stand against menswear being masculine... Isn't this just as horrible since he's doing the exact same thing in the opposite direction? What's wrong with the middle ground? At the same time, Hedi's tricks are remotely tolerable as they're all in the styling, it's all fake, the tie neck blouses seem to really be just scarves that can be loosened, the makeup can be washed off. If I saw any of the kids from the show strutting down the street, I'd think it was sorta-kinda-a little cool that they were living happily in their own world. I would still wonder, however, if it really captures any real sense of modernity for a grown man living in our times, which may be an unfair question since I don't really know if modernity has ever been a part of Mr. Slimane's goal at Dior, especially since the house really didn't have a set standard for menswear to begin with...
Very well said. I think that Hedi is at least treating this like a show, just like Galliano and McQueen do theatrics for their womenswear (and increasing for their menswear) that are never really meant to be worn on the street. I suppose that it's sexism in a way to not expect menswear shows to have their own crazy show qualitites, because we often can easily accept the theatrics of a women's show much more readily and know that, "no, we're not gonna wear that 4 foot headress out to the party - it's just for the show!^_^

Well it is not nearly as bad as I had orginally thought. I would almost say it is good if it weren't so DONE. I am dissapointed.

i love this collection.
i've already got several pieces picked out... :innocent:

I am not crazy over Slimane's theatric...Galliano's threatic is fun and extreme...although sometimes it can be vulgar and ugly, it is true to his roots. On the other hand, I just don't feel this vibe from Hedi...like he tries to shock or to be extreme but he never quite achieves it. With that said, I still like his attemp to change.

Honestly,there is no such thing as an ideal modern man anymore. At least I hope there isn't. I know in America it might be a different matter but generally I think men are much more open to things than they used to be. I went to Europe and no one even bats an eye if a guy wear's something intended for a woman. In fact,some of the shop people were a bit taken aback about my reluctance to buy some of the women's pieces I bought. I think this kind of mixing is very much what European style is about.

Actually,you know what this collection reminds me of? I saw Dave Gahan last year,I think, promoting his solo debut and this is very much in vein of the way he dresses.

hollyslookingdry said:
I don't love it, but I like it. I think a lot of you just hate that its not shiny and Hollywoodised enough as most collections tend to be. I think its a huge improvement in comparison to the whole Rasta and Hardcore Dior nonsense. I see actual vision, albeit not exciting, its still different and actually wearable!
The collections you're referring to are the women's Dior collections designed by John Galliano. This show is Dior Homme, the men's collection designed by Hedi Slimane, but utilizing female models in addition to male. :flower:

00400m.jpg
00150m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
as karen walker would say, 'honey, what? . . . what's going on here?'

for the people that don't like where hedi has gone, what theme would you liked to have seen?

wow..looks like I'm with Fade to black on this one on speaking too soon. I really like most of this collection now, more than S/S 2005. I'm glad I just bought some gold shoes as well :smile:

To me, this is nothing more than a collection of clothes. When I look at them, I feel nothing. Like Fade to Black, I have/had an emotional connection to the Dior Homme aesthetic. However, my connection was very narrow, basically restricted to that of the Luster collection, from which my sole Dior Homme piece came. It is one of my all-time favorite collections, and the clothes really mean something to me. From that collection onward, the DH aesthetic has gradually become less and less appealing to me. And now here we are. In a rather confused state. As Raijin pointed out, Hedi Slimane seems to be a one-trick pony. He is the "Dior Homme look". And why do most people seem to buy Dior Homme? For that look. Now, I'm all for trying new things, but to me, DH isn't DH if it doesn't look like DH. Whatever that means...

Last edited by a moderator:
after the past dior homme shows with very high reputation, i thought i may get disappointed with this show, but finally the collection is still very great...good job hedi.B)

To be honest I was so dissapointed with the show I coundn't force myself to see the clothes up close. I think they are "not that bad":-) But I am never a fan of David Bowie:-P and I think the over styling and makeup makes the boys look depressely horrible.

I much more like the freshness and "strength" at Raf Simons show:-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redspot
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->