Dior Homme S/S 08 by Karl Lagerfeld

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
Source | WWD | January 4, 2008

2164554567_7826ecf19a.jpg
2164554505_83a662fd5b.jpg

DIOR'S NEW LOOK: Taking Dior Homme back to its couture roots, Kris Van Assche made tailored elegance the theme for his first advertising campaign — albeit with a hint of danger. "They look like young professional killers," joked Karl Lagerfeld, who shot three models in a Parisian apartment wearing Van Assche's ballooning, high-waist pants and pristine white shirts.

Van Assche described the images, which break in February magazines, as the "next step" for the brand — rather than a radical change — in its post-Hedi Slimane era. A budding photographer, Slimane lensed recent Dior Homme campaigns and favored an edgy, artsy approach.

"When one evokes 'elegance,' people tend to think you refer to something old-fashioned, boring," Van Assche said. "I am totally aware that we are living in a sportswear generation, but I feel it is my duty — at Dior Homme even more so than at my own label — to propose an alternative....I prefer to look at it as a challenge: make elegance radical."

That's the reason he selected Lagerfeld, who shoots campaigns for Chanel, Fendi, Dom Perignon and others. "Karl Lagerfeld represents in a very personal way this idea of 'modern elegance,'" Van Assche explained.

One subtle change is that the ads were shot in color, "though one could mistake it for black-and-white," Van Assche allowed. The models, all South American and in their mid-20s, are also slightly older than many recent Dior Homme spots.

Van Assche said his favorite image depicts a model at a window in a black suit with a satin collar detail on the lapels. "It best translates the message of modern noblesse," he said.

Dior declined to reveal budgets for the spring/summer campaign, but Van Assche said the media spend would be on par with a year ago.

MissMagAddict thanks!!! You know it does look very Dior-even considering what Dior was just a year ago-I can see the logo printed right next to them and it makes sense.

I like the concept of these ads and the lighting looks great. I definitely look forward to seeing more. ^_^

I was kind of hoping that the ads would make the collection more interesting, but I guess I was wrong. It's weird that Karl shot it, though, given his previous statements toward Van Assche.

It's looks like dior homme ss 08 fashion show.....
no change

I actually don't find these as radical as Van Assche may think they are. I love the idea of the first shot, with the lone model in the room beyond the door. That could have been very interesting and dark, minus the two models in the foreground, though I still think it works as is. The casting doesn't seem very good, IMO, nor does the hair.

i like them... it's classy and chic...
and yes it was shooted in a Salon Haussmanien, similar to the Salon where the collection were presented... but this one is lighter and more "minimalist"...
the one where the collection was shown was more conservative in a way... with a lot of boiseries etc.

but honestly to me, presented like this... it looks like a fashion editorial and not an ad campain... but i still like it...

Very classic and looks like the show itself.

It looks good. Nice lighting.

Presents the collection perfectly, so appropriate.

The lighting is much better than the show.

Eh. It's so bland. I really miss Hedi, I love his photography and his designs.

More importantly, how did Karl get his hands on this campaign!?

look boring and old, i think are much better with Hedi, David Sims o maybe other photographer this no are good for my opinion.

Eh. It's so bland. I really miss Hedi, I love his photography and his designs.

More importantly, how did Karl get his hands on this campaign!?

Haha I thought the same thing! Karl doing Dior?? :huh:
ah well I quite like them actually ^_^

It's very elegant.

I would've liked it to be a bit darker, literally and figuratively, but they definitely establish a new Dior Homme look.

^ Yes.

This is what pleased me most about the campaign. It reflects the nature of the KvA's interpretation of Dior Homme, it's similar in a way to the womenswear revolution of the 50s instigated by Dior.

well Karl is maybe the Timbaland of the Fashion Photography....
doing whatever you want him to do if there's some money!

but the big difference is that Timbaland is considered to be a good producer in the hip hip hop industry. And Lagerfeld's photography is not always greatly appreciated.

It's terrible IMO...The whole thing is so un-cohesive. Most of the released collection is sportswear, so why is KVA saying he is presenting an alternative? The lighting is too drastically different in each shot...just looks like something you could shoot in your house. I'm suprised Lagerfeld has got involved as well...It just doesn't stand out like the Dior Homme ads usually do. I don't even want to call it Dior Homme anymore.

I miss Hedi :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rakuskoangel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->