Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

Chanel is tired and tiring they need to be safe/radical
Its useless to think of the brand in terms "of a new Karl", it's over
and the 'old school' is over as well

Lutz Huelle or Joseph Font are perfect choices for them
Stefano Pilati could be great, even Hedi is OK

still I'd love to see a brave girl at Chanel
eg Julie Pelipas of BETTER.US or Chitose Abe

Chitose Abe
I love her but she can't command a couture business.
I pre-ordered some of her creations lately and the execution was poor. how does a piece of deconstructed garment fall on the body (does it balance? does it slant front/back or left/right?)? One has to be thoughtful about it. She is not there yet. (And her business is now more commercial so I'm not sure if she will ever be that meticulous?)

They have lots of Karl dolls to choose from, actually... I'm rooting for the teddy bear.

View attachment 1313449
ebay
They could use Choupette as a vessel too! A cute version of Lagerfeld...Cat Lagerfeld!!
large_landscape_249487.jpg

slate.fr

The best choice — traditionalist but with a sense of experimentation, and very skilled with couture-level craftsmanship — was just taken off the market and out of contention. Sarah Burton could have done great things at Chanel.

We will probably have to accredit that to Karl Lagerfeld but those insane show productions with elaborate stages have without doubt raised the standards how runway shows are being presented today and I can't help but feel it's extremely ill in taste in the context of the difficult times we find ourselves in that these insane budgets and resources are pulverized for the duration of two less than 30 minute performances.

While I understand shows are nowadays a multimedia experience to a large degree for the broadcast, I don't think a production that costly is needed to convey emotion - Some of Dries Van Noten’s shows come to mind, like the beautiful show in which guests were seated at a huge dinner table with chandeliers that then turned into a runway or Olivier Theyskens' debut for Nina Ricci in which the backdrop of the foggy Tuilleries served as the perfect backdrop to his collection. I believe these show productions cost but a fraction of what Chanel pays without a cut in impact.

At this point i will candidate myself for the role...calling Bruno now... hahaha ...and i will choose my creative team from TFS of course! lol

Jokes aside, i think the same as it was with Celine...CD is already been chosen, and working now on fw collection...the official announce will be just a mere formality...

At this point i will candidate myself for the role...calling Bruno now... hahaha ...and i will choose my creative team from TFS of course! lol

Jokes aside, i think the same as it was with Celine...CD is already been chosen, and working now on fw collection...the official announce will be just a mere formality...
WWD's review of the latest collection already implies that Spring HC will be designed by the new CD.

The question shouldn’t be around Karl but around someone with a strong POV.
Chanel failed for 11 years between 1971 to 1982 trying to be about Coco. They will fail if they are trying to be about Karl.
The reality is there: Chanel is now about Coco as much as it is about Karl.

They needs someone who has a strong POV that will play, go against, embrace, contradict everything about it.

See at Fendi, they tried to pass Mr Jones as a new Karl. He was the new « Renaissance man ». We are still waiting for the Hit collection…
Very good point but don’t you think with social media it’s harder now? Everybody has an opinion, if you do something that’s not “Chanel” people would eat him up.

You know, it’s like a kind of a Met Gala thing… people that know nothing about fashion and about the themes feel very entitled to have an opinion, to say if the person is on theme or not on theme… and they have literally no clue.

I feel like in these days, when there are no real voices anymore, everything has like a bully approach from people in social media… I find it super hard to have a public job. You need to be all sugar like Jacquemus. He is a product of today.

Sadly, I feel no one could go now against what Chanel is in people’s mind, even if the current Chanel has very little to do with the original Chanel. I feel like top management would not even want that. In fact, if Hedi goes there id want him to give personal vision, but I’m afraid it will be like what people expect , something like his last two Céline collections… 60s, black and white and eyeliner. Is that Chanel though? Not even.

I hate denim but would love a denim collection, skinny jeans again, something very 2006 Kate Moss, idk, something with more vibe and less image curator.

I see everybody mentioning Galliano and Marc Jacobs when Pierpaolo Piccioli is right there and quite frankly the most obvious choice they could make imo.

I thought he was going to Fendi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->