Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

I can't be bothered to repost all these looks in jpg, but it is worth checking the link out

Hedi's designs = something for everyone
He can do timeless red carpet gowns, amazing tailoring, sexy dresses, killer bags, basic jeans and logo t-shirts
He is perfect for the job
His only weakness is the presentation format, but this is easy to fix
cant see any of these as a whole under the Chanel brand.... maybe Gucci. His body of work when shown like that in the red carpet (without all the hedi visuals) looks like a random american designer's portfolio who joined project runway and is now discreetly making looks for celebs. They are probably well made and embroidered by angels but my god are they ever so basic.

Chanel is a monster of a brand, an institution. It has traditions, of course, but...I think it's important to realize that Chanel is not a traditional brand. Chanel was not founded on the spirit of tradition, but of modernity. The next CD needs to be aware of that and while working with the traditions of the house, inject a dose of newness into it.

I can't be bothered to repost all these looks in jpg, but it is worth checking the link out

He can do timeless red carpet gowns, amazing tailoring, sexy dresses, killer bags, basic jeans and logo t-shirts
Very interesting to see it as a compilation. He can do gowns! With glamour and elegance. I like the red one Gaga wore. His weakness is in draping (Katy Perry one), but Chanel is not a draping house.

I also recommend his couture show for SL. Very beautiful and yes, over the top. Lol

We need just need to take these references and imagine it with more Chanel type of shapes.

I can discern some Chanel potential in the looks on Allison Williams, Kaia, Reese, Lupita, and Gerwig, mainly because the designs are pretty non-descript I would believe if you told me it came from any brand

That article shows an almost linear improvement in womenswear from "I would wear that but not to an awards show" straight through to "oh hell yeah!"

Hedi really took womenswear as a distinct discipline seriously at Celine and noticeably improved over his tenure.

The men and menswear-inspired women's looks are excellent, as always.

I mean I feel Chanel has always had those things... cheap and vulgar for ages. And then you have the pieces that are more elevated. It's why I think Chanel is so successful - they literally have something for everyone and are somehow able to maintain brand cache
See? That´s why I said Chanel is now like fast-fashion for the rich. There are a lot of pieces in that video which don´t belong at Chanel at all (from a DNA perspective...because from a marketing perspective you can add the kitchen sink with a CC logo, as long as it makes money).

Also I think in the past this wasn´t as blatant as nowadays (even if Karl loved to add pop culture to the brand).

Just announce Jacquemus at this point.
I was walking through Soho (in NYC) today, and passed by the future Jacquemus store on Spring Street, which is currently under construction. I look directly across the street, and there is a new Chanel store, also under construction (or renovation). Coincidence? Lol.

See? That´s why I said Chanel is now like fast-fashion for the rich. There are a lot of pieces in that video which don´t belong at Chanel at all (from a DNA perspective...because from a marketing perspective you can add the kitchen sink with a CC logo, as long as it makes money).
Ew. I can't believe I've become some sort of Chanel-stan, but I don't reeeeaally think it's fast-fashion for the rich. I think with girls and young women it really holds a place of fantasy across many socioeconomic statuses. Whether someone wants to treat themselves (sorry to trigger you @tourbillions) with a nice purse because they got their first "adult" job or buying couture at the other end of the spectrum. I mean, that's what I've personally noticed with regards to Chanel. I know, the idea of bourgeoise existing and buying high fashion is triggering to certain users because we're all rich on tFS (on the internet, no one knows you're a dog), but... still.

(Not to mention makeup, perfumes, etc.)

cant see any of these as a whole under the Chanel brand.... maybe Gucci. His body of work when shown like that in the red carpet (without all the hedi visuals) looks like a random american designer's portfolio who joined project runway and is now discreetly making looks for celebs. They are probably well made and embroidered by angels but my god are they ever so basic.
Works perfectly. Would be nuts if anyone else gets it.

Ew. I can't believe I've become some sort of Chanel-stan, but I don't reeeeaally think it's fast-fashion for the rich. I think with girls and young women it really holds a place of fantasy across many socioeconomic statuses. Whether someone wants to treat themselves (sorry to trigger you @tourbillions) with a nice purse because they got their first "adult" job or buying couture at the other end of the spectrum. I mean, that's what I've personally noticed with regards to Chanel. I know, the idea of bourgeoise existing and buying high fashion is triggering to certain users because we're all rich on tFS (on the internet, no one knows you're a dog), but... still.

(Not to mention makeup, perfumes, etc.)
That´s the idea of Chanel: a special brand, the highest one, nothing like the rest...but that is the past, because now it feels more totally like fast-fashion (not because of the prices nor the quality...although the quality has decreased indeed); but because it feels totally rushed, disposable, vulgar, trying to reach anyone without a defined POV (although not having a POV is also a POV if you think about it).

Is it working? Yes! They are making tons of money...but they are tarnishing the venerable image of Chanel, so in the long run this will be a problem.

I miss that class Chanel had decades ago (even when Karl was playing on the edge of vulgarity, it still retained some sort of class).

The "idea" of Chanel may be even more detached from the company's recent reality than Hedi's reputation is from his clothes. When we were all talking about how Chanel-like Hedi's last two women's shows are, we weren't referring to Viard or the recent show.

Hedi's Chanel woman would be an improvement over the recent past. No designer will live up to the abstraction of a 'Chanel' archetype we each have in our imaginations, though.

That´s the idea of Chanel: a special brand, the highest one, nothing like the rest...but that is the past, because now it feels more totally like fast-fashion (not because of the prices nor the quality...although the quality has decreased indeed); but because it feels totally rushed, disposable, vulgar, trying to reach anyone without a defined POV (although not having a POV is also a POV if you think about it).

Is it working? Yes! They are making tons of money...but they are tarnishing the venerable image of Chanel, so in the long run this will be a problem.

I miss that class Chanel had decades ago (even when Karl was playing on the edge of vulgarity, it still retained some sort of class).
but chanel items were always very commercial and understandable its also because the Channel silhouette is basically square/boxy cut suits/The H-line silhouette apart from the 1920-1930´s flou rest is very normal.

Yes KL did remix it even into Dior new look in one HC show he did & other ideas not originally Chanel silhouette etc but the constancy of the styles are grounded in the original chanel

but chanel items were always very commercial and understandable its also because the Channel silhouette is basically square/boxy cut suits/The H-line silhouette apart from the 1920-1930´s flou rest is very normal.

Yes KL did remix it even into Dior new look in one HC show he did & other ideas not originally Chanel silhouette etc but the constancy of the styles are grounded in the original chanel
Yes, I know...the problem is not it being commercial, the problem is it being vulgar,cheap-looking and souless.

The difference between other brands is that chanel should be dressing royals in mind not celebrities. When I saw past Chanel collections, it always had the vibe of royalty and bourgeoisie. The cut, the workmanship, the hardware used on clothes. Even the simplest baby doll dress from Chanel had that feel even at its craziest color combinations.

Out of all the names, Hedi is the best choice. But he seems like such a wet blanket, no personalty. What does he even sound like? I imagine him making squeaking sounds. Karl is hard to live up to but everyone so dull now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Zephyr Deng
    Back
    monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
    <-- Admiral -->