Discussion: Who Should Be The Creative Director of Chanel?

When you say “a designer followers” I think you don’t understand how the real business works. 95% of the clients don’t even know and don’t even care about who the creative director of the brand is.

If Hedi goes to Chanel it will work because he gets a lot of hype wherever he goes. It’s not because he has followers. Of course, maybe a few ones, very into fashion, do so, but that’s not how brands work.

i think you didnt get the sentiment of the comment... let me break it down for you since apparently you understand the business but have low comprehension skills/critical thinking. he gets hype because of his followers but most of them already cannot afford it in Celine other than the t-shirts so how can they afford Chanel.

As you said... that 95% clientele don't/won't care about Hedi or whoever is placed at Chanel. Him "designing" basics that these 95% already have in their wardrobe wont work specially at Chanel price points. That Chanel woman/client need something more than the well-made basic clothes hedi offers in every tenure. Otherwise why do they need to hire a big-name designer for something their atelier is already making for their non-runway pieces.

i think you didnt get the sentiment of the comment... let me break it down for you since apparently you understand the business but have low comprehension skills/critical thinking. he gets hype because of his followers but most of them already cannot afford it in Celine other than the t-shirts so how can they afford Chanel.

As you said... that 95% clientele don't/won't care about Hedi or whoever is placed at Chanel. Him "designing" basics that these 95% already have in their wardrobe wont work specially at Chanel price points. That Chanel woman/client need something more than the well-made basic clothes hedi offers in every tenure. Otherwise why do they need to hire a big-name designer for something their atelier is already making for their non-runway pieces.
Don't worry, your status symbol is safe. Chanel suits will ensure it.

Not really… Chanel clients don’t need anything. Nobody needs anything. Fashion, and luxury specifically, is completely aspirational. Chanel customers will buy whatever. They had Virginie and it was a success retail wise, even the fugly bags. Clients don’t buy Chanel for the products. Luxury is not a product, luxury is not quality, luxury is just an idea. If clients would want products they would go somewhere else.

If Hedi goes to Chanel it will be a major success. China would eat it up. Influencers as well. And the rest will follow.

Maybe some non-clients, and guys with a lot of <<dignity>> and lot of <<fashion knowledge >> will criticize it and say it’s not Chanel, because they are so s!lly they think what Karl did was Chanel.

So yeah, luxury clients have 0 saying. They don’t have an opinion. They are sheeps. Pure followers that will buy whatever a few like.

As far as I heard, Chanel was struggling to sell RTW in some locations… with Hedi they will sell a lot of RTW.

The shoes and the bag offer atm is terrible… super corny, terribly designed and quite cheap. Imagine with an art director like him. Everything will be much more sleek and refined.

And I agree it can get boring… but everybody always said Chanel under Karl was boring and sometimes I even thought the same (and I love Karl as I much as I love my best friend :lol). Chanel has so many offerings that it’s maybe the way to go, to be boring and just be there. Although I also wonder how will they deal in the long term with the hype of the first two years…

I also feel top management is letting the brand “sink” a little bit so when someone new comes, people are craving for a little bit of energy and newness from the brand and the new designer has it easier… because otherwise I just don’t get how people getting millions of Euros per year are making those decisions.

I would also love to know the astronomical amount of money Chanel is going to pay Hedi…

I think it’s a fact that he is going to Chanel. It’s either him or Jacquemus. There is no other option. I also feel Jacquemus is maybe too now for them… yes, he surfed the Instagram trend amazingly, but that’s kind of over already… Hedi is a diva and a legend himself, Chanel should go for someone like him.

Last edited:
She’s 13 now and an old lady who has deserved her retirement :

That’s how I imagine Virginie Viard now, frolicking in the grass, basking in the sun, and checking her bank account every time she needs a mood booster.

Yes...but Virginie is not half as cute as Choupette!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pickledpear53
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->