Dressing to Beat the Heat

Whatever I wear in the heat, it is always loose on my body. I don't wear synthetics - so it's summer weight linen, silk, cotton, sandals and lots of loose layers. A parasol is better than a hat whenever possible. And finally, a paper fan! :woot: I wear a lot of clothes from India when it's hot and muggy, and I'm usually pretty comfortable.

I'm used to the heat and humidity since I grew up in Singapore and I agree that the best way is to stick to a single loose layer and wear fabrics that allow your skin to breathe. Summer is really a great time to break out the dresses!

^
how do you not sweat buckets wearing boots ale?! :shock:

thankfully where i'm at, at the moment, the weather has been perfect for the past two weeks. Either lightly raining or else 20 degrees so you can pretty much wear what you want. Thats a great suggestion of seersucker and dri-fit active wear tops. I never thought of that.

Summer dressing/Inspiration.

I find it very hard to look truly like 'me' in the summer months. It is hard to truly look chic when it's hot.

Therefore I decided to start this thread as a summer dressing inspiration/discussion.

What fabrics are best for summer?
How do you make your look personal?
Do you spend months before summer getting ready, scrubs, tanning, going to the gym, shopping for it? :ninja:

I often find that people can look the same when it's hot.. are gold/silver sandals a must? I don't think I see anyone not wearing them in summer.:unsure:

Let's discuss.:flower:

i hate summer, style-wise. i only wear dark colours, often head-to-toe in black, boots, and scarves. i usually just dress like its f/w, but end up taking away a few layers. so i'll end up in an oversized cotton tee / plaid shirt, and drainpipes.

i actually prefer spring and summer. i guess i'm not much of a boots girl. i prefer wearing cute flats or heels and skirts with a nice blouse (zara have alot of beautiful blouses this season) or a beautiful dress. just because it's summer it doesnt mean you have to walk around in a&f skirts and havaianas =p (not that it's anything wrong with that, i just dont happen to like it)

i'm not that much of a shorts girl either. so i guess i'm gonna go with lots of skirts and blouses this summer with cute hair accessories =D oh and i love colored tights, so that's def something i'm going to be seen in!

This summer I feel like being a dress girl more. I've been stuck in a jeans/t-shirt rut and I want to wear things that make me feel more feminine.

I don't wear short shorts. I stick to Bermudas. ^_^

I hate tank tops. They are unflattering for my athletic arms. :doh: I stick to t-shirts.

I'm hoping to try out denim skirts this summer.
I've never worn a skirt before because I'm usually too active to worry about who's upskirting me. :lol:

This ought to be the summer of a good change. ^_^

I'm going to change it up a bit; anything kinda loose and light blouses, dresses I hardly wear dresses but I'm trying something new, flats and accessories

Except for lighter colors and materials, my style stays basically the same:

short dresses & skirts, loose tees, cardigans, lightweight scarves, flats or wedges, slouchy leather or straw bags.

colors: white, blue, black, beige, brown, kaki, some pastel and african prints, a few more vibrant ones: orange, violet.

fabrics: coton, linen, silk.

Access': brown / tan leather, gold, straw.

Minimal makeup (light or no foundation, mascara, sheer lipstick) and jewellery during day.

SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE. Even though I am a rather simple dresser in the fall, I pair it down even more for S/S. For me the only way to look good in extreme heat is to be really crisp. I basically dress in a uniform of a crisp, fitted white shirt (I have some ones that have great-mostly tuxedo-detail from Dior Homme, Band of Outsidders, and APC so they aren't boring) with the sleeves rolled, and a pair of black/dark skinny jeans (rolled to ankle often).

Shoes are a little tough, because socks will put your whole entire body on fire. White converses, or Vans slip ons are a must for me. I don't wear flip flops unless at the beach because I think they just look cheap and silly, they automatically take your outfit down a notch. I am excited to do ethnic/gladiator sandals this year (some of you know my dilema with the Balenciagas, which I will prob. end up keeping once get the right size).

I occasionaly wear shorts (I have some really simple ones from Marc by Marc from a few years ago that are just like a basic twill short but cut shorer and with a good cuff in black and khaki), but the rest of the uniform stays the same. I think you have no option but to let your accesoreis do the talking in the summer, without jackets or sweaters, or real shoes, there is not much else. For me its always about sunglasses, and cool bracelets. Gold tones always look good against basics, and on tan skin.

All this being said, I am still slightly uninspired. I will be going to the Caribean in two weeks, so hopefully that will get me in gear for hot weather dressing...

^ You are so right about the accessories part... in winter I usually build my wardrobe around my jackets.. without them I feel a bit lost.

I know what cut I love on dresses so I'm thinking of getting one made... in black.lol. I also need some new sunglasses I update them every summer.

^ Shoes are great to build an outfit around, or a special blouse or skirt ...

Dresses and flats. Lots of colorful and ethnic jewelry. I tend to be more bohemian looking when it's warm.

I'm spending the summer in Rome! :D So I'm packing light and hoping to find lots of great vintage summer dresses and lightweight billowy tops in the open markets there. But I'm def planning on packing tons of silk mini dresses and tops and cotton bandage skirts with a few lightweight shawls/scarves. I have no idea what condition my apartment will be in when I get there so I'm looking forward to hand washing and hanging on laundry lines. And of course leather flats and a cross body handbag.

This past summer i essentially lived in-

- white linin high waisted wide leg slacks
- navy singlet tops with my white skirts or pants
- white linin pin ruffle dresses
- caftan dresses
- plain white short denim skirts with plain white t's
- brightly coloured ballet flats..my faves are my emerald green miu miu's, cherry red bravo's and yellow michael kors'.
- vintage lace party dresses
- gold lace up sandles & silver ballet flats

come summer <3
I am sooo eighties!
im really feelin it right now.

I'm working all summer, so I'm gonna be stuck with black trousers and white shirts. I'll try not to work 14 hours a day this summer :ninja:
Anyway...if I have any time off, there will be bandage skirts, flowy tops, various gladiator sandals, blue jeans and scarves. And tights too. I don't do floral or prints. I have a feeling that I'll be drunk whenever I'm not working, so dress + heels = succes.

serve.asp
serve.asp

americanapparel.net
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

tFS

Attachments

• DSC03673.JPG
    DSC03673.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 6

Users who are viewing this thread