Dries Van Noten S/S 2015 Paris

it's garish frankly. just too much.

there are always nice pieces; it's dries after all. but i am disappointed because i feel it lacks his usual elegance and fine balance. he's tipped the scales here, and maybe intentionally. however it doesn't work, not for me anyhow.

Overall, I do like this collection. It's very typical Dries. As always, the mix and play of colors and busy patterns is spot-on.

The collection is very eclectic...combining pinstripes with brocade patterns, etc.

Dries is very much like the opposite of Jil Sander and Calvin Klein. Jil and Calvin very rarely use print and pattern within their collections, solid colors in a head-to-toe presentation....whereas, Dries always uses print and busy patterns.

Obviously...the look is intentional and deliberate.

Dries is one of the very few designers who is capable of mixing and combining so many elements in one presentation...and making it look wearable.

It's very much like putting on a pair of polka-dot pants...and feeling as though one print is simply not enough....the pants need to be worn with a plaid jacket....a striped shirt....a flower-print vest....a paisley handbag, etc etc....all thrown together in a deliberately dizzy effect.

Now 70s is the most horrible decade in fashion to me. The finale is beautiful thou.

Some nice pieces here and there but after the wonderful men's collection, I expected something much better. As a whole, it's almost a mess; there's way too much to look but I am sure over time, I'ld digest it better. I was really expecting him to create a women's version of what he did for his menswear and while there are mild references to it, it doesn't carry the same effortlessness and newness.

Overall, I do like this collection. It's very typical Dries. As always, the mix and play of colors and busy patterns is spot-on.

The collection is very eclectic...combining pinstripes with brocade patterns, etc.

Dries is very much like the opposite of Jil Sander and Calvin Klein. Jil and Calvin very rarely use print and pattern within their collections, solid colors in a head-to-toe presentation....whereas, Dries always uses print and busy patterns.

Obviously...the look is intentional and deliberate.

Dries is one of the very few designers who is capable of mixing and combining so many elements in one presentation...and making it look wearable.

It's very much like putting on a pair of polka-dot pants...and feeling as though one print is simply not enough....the pants need to be worn with a plaid jacket....a striped shirt....a flower-print vest....a paisley handbag, etc etc....all thrown together in a deliberately dizzy effect.

Sounds to me you're referring to someone with no restraint LOL That's not who Dries is to me.

Dries has always reigned in his mix of patterns, textures and colors just at the right moment. I don't believe in codes and rules when it comes to fashion, but those that are successful at going their own way, as Dries has all these times, has always been able to exercise restraint-- and at just the right moment. Sure, one can wear and present patchwork and zany, wacky pattern and colors combos, and then end up looking like a clown. Dries has never come off clownish, even here, but this mix is rather just... typical. And that's not what I expect of him either.

You're absolutely right HeatherAnne: It all comes off very Missoni meets Etro, both brands I'm indifferent towards. So in that sense, Dries hasn't succeeded with this collection for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is nauseating! Bright colors are not a problem on their own but the mixtures and patterns used here are nothing short of assaulting. I love you Dries but the only thing worse than the clothes is that Dr. Seuss carpet.

I've seen the collection for men...Spring/Summer 2015....and for me, personally...it's a bit too basic and boring for me to appreciate.

The collection has some prints and bright colors.....but it's simply not enough for me. The collection is a bit too subtle, too easy, and too safe for me to appreciate. The collection is also a bit too sexy and provocative for me. If I want to appear as sexy and provocative....i'll turn to Dolce and Gabbana or Versace.

I don't believe in the philosophy..."less, is more".

Oh.....Dries certainly exercises at least some restraint.

I do realize that playing with too many patterns and colors and come across as cartoon-ish and clowney....but Dries is one designer who has a knack for combining so many busy patterns....it's actually paletable and no hard to swallow.

This collection looks so comfortable! I really like the colors and the ending is really cute

I don't know what happened with the first half. It felt very Cavalli and I was quite concerned. As the show progressed it advanced to a different level. The striped pant and maxi dresses are quite strong. Brajackets ++

Oh.....Dries certainly exercises at least some restraint.

I do realize that playing with too many patterns and colors and come across as cartoon-ish and clowney....but Dries is one designer who has a knack for combining so many busy patterns....it's actually paletable and no hard to swallow.

Yes, I get the impression you're not at all about "less is more", mike LOL

I completely understand your preference. Although, Dries' brand of sexiness, as well as Prada's, is my preference and in a different stratosphere than Versace's or Dolce's.

It's not the extreme mix of patterns, textures and colors that I don't like here, it's that it's just not so unique anymore-- that it really does come off very Etro and Missoni, and that makes Dries rather pedestrian and common. But I'm sure most customers will love this for S/S: shiny, bright, fresh and colorful patterns and wispy, easy-to-wear pieces. So I'm sure this is a successful collection for the buyers.

After his amazing menswear show, I expected something glorious from him: what a disappointment. I think the collection is very messy, and I'm really not a fan of that sort of boho-hippie vibe of the clothes. The ending, however, with all the models sitted on the green floor was lovely.

After a few stellar seasons and a fantastic menswear show, I expected a lot more. The prints feel a bit all over the place and there isn't much innovation, unless you find those "reinvented" harem pants interesting - I see too many reworked embellished tops and satin bomber jackets.

It just doesn't feel fresh but more like a messy look back at the past.

or worse...some elements actually come off as a bit too boho-trendy anna sui to me. although i'm thrilled we're seeing dries kind of going back to his earthier more ethnic roots it's too homogenized for dries. i wish it were a bit deeper...a little more complex like we all used to see with dries.

i'm going to echo what heatheranne and phuel said ... i do not like this dries/hippie/bohemian hybrid. and the seventies are one of my least favourite periods of style so this is extra disappointing to me. like those really ugly beaded tunics ... some of the brocade patterns are quite pretty but that's about it.

also those white band-aid sandals need to stop! they are so ugly and right now they're even being sold in aldo. there's no place for them on a runway anymore.

I am on the fence here. I've always admire his use of colors and mixed prints but I feel like this collection doesn't match up harmoniously somehow. There are gorgeous pieces as usual. But some silk pieces are very unflattering. Maybe it will grow on me. Maybe..

Sure he's known for his eclectic mix of ethnic prints and embellishment for rich chic "nomads", but it's usually executed with refinement, restraint, taste, tailoring, sense of proportion, colors, etc. underpinned by the modern, Belgian Antwerpen sensibility. With the exception of a few looks, this appears like Haider Ackermann interpreted by Cavali.

I really dislike this collection and I'm a huge supporter of Dries. The prints look all over the place and the colour palette is terrible

I think it's a stellar collection, vibrant and very playful element combination.
and watch this, what a show. definitely will be one of the best moments of 2010s

I hate this so much that I feel like weeping. It's like Missoni and Etro threw up on a Dries Van Noten collection. I'm jealous that the men got an elegant and luxurious Spring collection from him, and us women got this grossness.
:lol::lol::lol:

omg---my sentiments exactly...

:glare:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saucednoods
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->