Dry Skin - in general / combating the effects of winter

i've had very dry peely red skin around my nose and lips for about a month now...any suggestions..I am moisturising with bio oil at night and normal day cream in the day but it won't go away...

Dry Skin

Couldn't help but start this thread after reading part of an article about NMF (natural moisturizing factor).
The intercellular matrix is the skin’s first line of defense against water loss. When the lipid and NMF content of skin is reduced, we experience surface roughness, flaking, fine lines, and a tight, uncomfortable feeling. The longer the skin’s surface layer (stratum corneum) is impaired, the less effective the skin’s intercellular matrix becomes (Sources: Skin Research and Technology, August 2000, pages 128–134; and Dermatologic Therapy, 2004, volume 17, Supplement 1, pages 43–48). Moreover, the skin’s healing process is impaired. NMFs make up an expansive group of ingredients that include amino acids, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, cholesterol, fatty acids, triglycerides, phospholipids, glycosphingolipids, urea, linoleic acid, glycosaminoglycans, glycerin, mucopolysaccharide, and sodium PCA (pyrrolidone carboxylic acid). Ingredients that mimic the lipid content of skin include apricot oil, canola oil, coconut oil, corn oil, jojoba oil, jojoba wax, lanolin, lecithin, olive oil, safflower oil, sesame oil, shea butter, soybean oil, squalane, and sweet almond oil, all of which can be extremely helpful in making dry skin look and feel better.

Not surprised that jojoba oil is in the list. :lol: What are your favorite products and recommendations for dry skin? My personal faves are Nuxe Creme Fraiche for the face and Mario Badescu Olive Body Lotion for the body.

My sister uses vaseline for her skin in the winter. It seems to work so well

Removes all the flakes, etc
I don't think she puts it on her face

Aquaphor from Eucerin Healing Ointment is fantastic. It's incredibly thick but applies really well. I'm an avid hand-washer so my hands are always cracking on the front. After just a few days, the cracking went away, even the redness!

Vaseline is great too. I just wish Vaseline came in an easy to carry bottle. :lol: Vaseline takes too long to dry though.

Aquaphor from Eucerin Healing Ointment is fantastic. It's incredibly thick but applies really well. I'm an avid hand-washer so my hands are always cracking on the front. After just a few days, the cracking went away, even the redness!

Vaseline is great too. I just wish Vaseline came in an easy to carry bottle. :lol: Vaseline takes too long to dry though.

I KNOW RIGHT! It makes me mad because Vaseline is affordable and actually works better than most expensive brands, but since it takes forever to dry it tends to get wiped off by clothing and sheets (when I go to bed).

It's hard to apply too since you have to use your fingers. Everything gets "tainted" with the Vaseline, and it's a b*tch to try and wipe off.

Aquaphor is the next best thing though. It didn't cost me a fortune though it does cost a tad more than just lotion alone. At Wal-Mart, I paid more than $5 for it.

^Yes, I wish the Vaseline packaging were a bit more hygienic too. I remember owning a bottle when I was young... Within a few months there were little hairs and filth in the Vaseline. I think Jojoba Oil is a better alternative - cheap, nutritious and dries very fast!

It's f-f-f-f-f-freeeeeeeeezing in Ireland at the moment AND I have had a cold for two weeks so my skin is in shreds! Bio Oil at night usually helps - 2 layers of it and spend 3-4 minutes massaging the first layer in. Am also hoping to try out this Manuka Honey cream that Liberty London Girl recommended on her blog - Manuka Honey is incredible and the cream sounds great.

For my body in the winter I tend to use Nivea Soft as it's easily absorbed and very moisturising. Any thoughts on more expensive body lotions? Is Kiehls's Creme de Corps amazing, like everyone says it is??

^I have never had any problems with cheap body lotions. Right now I'm using a strawberry scented one from Avon,and it keeps my skin really soft,even against the harsh north sea winds.

I'm getting terribly chapped skin on the piece of skin between my thumb and finger :ninja: No amount of hand cream seems to have any effect.

I'm getting terribly chapped skin on the piece of skin between my thumb and finger :ninja: No amount of hand cream seems to have any effect.

I think that could be to do with the hardness or softness of the water. I NEVER get chapped hands in Ireland no matter how cold the weather but when I lived in London, my hands were scaly and dry. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derekz7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->