Erin Wasson x RVCA S/S 10 New York

Horrific. She has not done anything new or fresh, it just seems jumbled and ideas that we have seen everywhere else. Nothing original IMO.

I see I'm in the minority when I say I love this collection....:heart:!

The hair and makeup especially.

^ No I like it too. I'm pretty sure their are others who also like it, but prefer to refrain from joining the hate-fest. From Erin I don't expect to see originality or freshness in her clothes. I'm quite sure she's not trying to offer it either. Instead she designs clothes that she'd probably wear for people who have a similar asthetic in their personal style. Nothing more. It's interesting to see people judging this collection, a collaboration with a non-expensive clothing company, like they would an Alexander McQueen show. Instead it should be judged like the "Miss Sixty", "Kate Moss for Top Shop" or "The Row" brands.

^ No I like it too. I'm pretty sure their are others who also like it, but prefer to refrain from joining the hate-fest. From Erin I don't expect to see originality or freshness in her clothes. I'm quite sure she's not trying to offer it either. Instead she designs clothes that she'd probably wear for people who have a similar asthetic in their personal style. Nothing more. It's interesting to see people judging this collection, a collaboration with a non-expensive clothing company, like they would an Alexander McQueen show. Instead it should be judged like the "Miss Sixty", "Kate Moss for Top Shop" or "The Row" brands.

Personally I just judged it on whether I liked it or not - and I didn't! I love Erin (as you can see from my avatar) but I found this collection to just be too... bitty. It wasn't about being fresh or not - I think when you see a collaboration between a designer and a brand, you expect to see some of the designers personality in it anyway - but for me this collection just didn't work.

I wouldn't call it a 'hate-fest', I think it's just people being honest!

haven't you heard? brooklyn hipsters are rich trendy girls. brooklyn today is like soho was in the eighties. it's the whole let's dress up and look poor game. i know for a fact that this stuff sells not only to that crowd, but to those all over the country who want to act like they're in touch with that.

Last time I checked, those are not real hipsters. Just try-hards... there is nothing 'cool' or original about buying this calculated tripe...

in her defense, she's being paid to do just that. we all know that there's a very limited window in which most models get to make money, why do we want to step on her moment?
She can make all the money she wants; I honestly could not care less. Monetary gain has nothing to with this. It's about the clothes and imo, they are terrible. One of the most ridiculously shameless vanity projects to come around in years...

and honestly, i don't get it either, but we must admit there's something spell-binding about this sort of rock chic right now or this stuff wouldn't be selling.
I have to disagree with you. This look is selling because it's a trend. It's EVERYWHERE and she is capitalizing off those ppl who buy into trends b/c they are unable to think and decide for themselves. These ppl who so desperately want to 'belong' instead of wearing what truly suits them. Frankly, the novelty of this look is wearing thin, so she and her buddy Alex had better put on their thinking caps pronto...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's definitely not a collection I would come close to, but there is one piece that really stuck out for me. That polka dotted silk blouse is actually something I'd spend money on.

Wow. I was expecting so much from this....but its absolutely AWFUL!!!!!!

Last time I checked, those are not real hipsters. Just try-hards... there is nothing 'cool' or original about buying this calculated tripe...

well, we'll have to just go ahead and redefine all of our terms because when "try-hards" get photographed at music festivals and put on the sartorialist or put into nylon magazine, they're universally acknowledged as hipster. these "try-hards" spend more money on clothes than most people imagine and they do that in an attempt to look like they haven't spent anything. it's nothing new. it happened in the eighties. it happened in the nineties. and this brooklyn thing is just the latest iteration.

She can make all the money she wants; I honestly could not care less. Monetary gain has nothing to with this. It's about the clothes and imo, they are terrible. One of the most ridiculously shameless vanity projects to come around in years...
for someone who does not care, there's certainly a lot of passion behind the arguments presented. rvca did not hire a designer. they hired a model. they hired a model to project her personal style not design vision onto their brand. it sold like hotcakes. why? people want to look like this. also, i'm sorry, the fashion business is a vanity business!

I have to disagree with you. This look is selling because it's a trend. It's EVERYWHERE and she is capitalizing off those ppl who buy into trends b/c they are unable to think and decide for themselves. These ppl who so desperately want to 'belong' instead of wearing what truly suits them. Frankly, the novelty of this look is wearing thin, so she and her buddy Alex had better put on their thinking caps pronto...
go ahead sit back in judgement of the consumer who buys this stuff, but the reality is that times are tough. people don't have money like they used to. people have options. they vote with their dollars. people dress this way because they connect with this look. the fact that you do not connect with this look does not mean those people who do have no sense of style and find themselves slave to trend.

once upon a time a little-known new york designer did a collection of tragic messiness called grunge. his name is marc jacobs. i don't think erin wasson nor her buddy alexander wang are going anywhere any time soon.

Mikeijames, you seem to believe that hype and notoriety are synonymous with genuine talent.

The longevity of Marc Jacobs career as well as his talent as a designer are both rather dubious. However, that's another topic in itself... :rolleyes:

These people you speak of are just rich, trendy kids latching onto every trend. They are not setting the bar or doing anything progressive. They're just having fun and being photographed. If they didn't have the money to look as if 'they've spent nothing', I highly doubt you'd be giving them so much credit. That whole concept is just so moronic and ridiculous; paying obscene amounts of money to look homeless?? It's offensive, even, seeing as some ppl have no choice but to dress in such away b/c that can't afford anything else. Again, I don't care about how much money this look is raking in or how well it's faring with the masses, it all comes down to design and aesthetic. Imo, it is substantially lacking here. It is nothing more than hype and fairy dust. Since Erin Wasson is calling herself a 'fashion designer', it's only right that her 'collections' be analyzed from that pt of view. Why should she be given a free pass b/c she is also a model? If she were merely lending her image and personal style, she would be called a creative consultant, NOT a designer.

Also, believe or not, some people actually design clothing for purposes other than money and fame... it's not all about that, thankfully, b/c if it were, we'd have to endure even more nonsense like this...

Mileijames well said. I agree with everything you said and you explained my hipster argument every well.

Mikeijames, you seem to believe that hype and notoriety are synonymous with genuine talent.

The longevity of Marc Jacobs career as well as his talent as a designer are both rather dubious. However, that's another topic in itself... :rolleyes:

again, we'll just have to agree to disagree. i believe marc jacobs a profound talent. if we can't even agree to that, there's little to which we'll ever agree. for me, as well as most, fashion isn't just an intellectual exercise circling around the manipulation of interesting fabrics into innovative shapes. it's more than that. fashion must work in the real world and speak to a real consumer. it's not just some costume in a theatrical production, it's not some soft sculpture to be admired in a gallery. it's real clothing worn by real people that want to project something about their personality out to the world.

These people you speak of are just rich, trendy kids latching onto every trend....
that's a cop-out argument because that can be said of every single piece every where. "oh well that's just some rich people wearing that." fashion is meant to be consumed and rich people do nothing if not that. to sit back and pretend that there's not something covetable here is to close one eyes to a larger trend. this trend has infected not only the low end -- i mean, this is RVCA, she's not going to use costly fabrics and techniques -- but the very high end at houses like phi, elise overland, rodarte and so many others. the consumer responds to that rock chic vibe and this collection has that in spades.

If she were merely lending her image and personal style, she would be called a creative consultant, NOT a designer.
rvca can name her whatever they like. that's not really what we're talking about here. titles come and go. the fact remains, there exist people all over this country that wouldn't mind looking like this which means she has done her job....

(source: gettyimages.com)

Attachments

• rvca.jpg
    rvca.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
  • rvca2.jpg
    rvca2.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1
Her show was packed and she has a following. let's be real here: the I'm not trying too hard, trying too hard laid back down to earth girl -look is very in and I see this going strong for at least 3 more years.

Bloomigdales sponsored the move to the tent= they will order a lot of her clothes. It's not my taste but there ar epeople who want to dress like that and will want to look like Erin Wasson.

I fail to see any connection between this and Rodarte...
The same girl may enjoy the aesthetic of both houses, but that is where the comparisons end. I wouldn't even put Phi in the same boat as this. It's quite insulting, really...

If we all thought about fashion in such a basic, demoralizing sense, it would not be what it is today. We would not have the people at the forefront, the very people influencing and inspiring individuals such as Marc Jacobs and the like. All we'd have is mediocrity and banality. Who dictates what the 'real world' is exactly? A magazine? Business reports? Also, what is a 'real' consumer?? That makes no sense; sounds like nothing more than a blanket statement. You may enjoy Erin Wasson's aesthetic but that does not mean everyone around the world is eating it up, no questions asked.

Idk any truly stylish ppl. taking cues from these silver-spoon sheep you seem to cherish so dearly. It would be silly of me to deny their influence, but it's rather ridiculous to believe that everything going on in 'real fashion' is due to some photos taken at one party or another.

Anyhow, as you said, you and I are two drastically different people. This is a very good thing. I will agree to disagree with you and respectfully so...

I fail to see any connection between this and Rodarte...
The same girl may enjoy the aesthetic of both houses, but that is where the comparisons end. I wouldn't even put Phi in the same boat as this. It's quite insulting, really...

If we all thought about fashion in such a basic, demoralizing sense, it would not be what it is today. We would not have the people at the forefront, the very people influencing and inspiring individuals such as Marc Jacobs and the like. All we'd have is mediocrity and banality. Who dictates what the 'real world' is exactly? A magazine? Business reports? Also, what is a 'real' consumer?? That makes no sense; sounds like nothing more than a blanket statement. You may enjoy Erin Wasson's aesthetic but that does not mean everyone around the world is eating it up, no questions asked.

Idk any truly stylish ppl. taking cues from these silver-spoon sheep you seem to cherish so dearly. It would be silly of me to deny their influence, but it's rather ridiculous to believe that everything going on in 'real fashion' is due to some photos taken at one party or another.

Anyhow, as you said, you and I are two drastically different people. This is a very good thing. I will agree to disagree with you and respectfully so...

I personally have to agree with you, although I wouldn't mind wearing some of the pieces in this collection. It does deliver what it should be, to girls who crave the I-tried-hard-to-look-like-I-didn't-try look or like Wasson's style. However, I also think there is a problem when some consider this to be the forefront of fashion, or put it in the same league as designers who are not in the same league. Like you said, I have not seen anyone who was truly stylish worship these of-the-moment labels, while many "fashionable" girls who dress like any other fashionable girl are very into that sort of thing.

What I'm trying to say is, I agree with your point of view and am glad when I see those who see as you do. Indeed fashion (or the perception of style) would not be what it is today without those in the past who have valued what you value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->