Fashion Gets Political

some ads from kenneth cole...not nessecarily political but questioning issues in our society...for example
plastic surgery
kc_05.jpg

prison sentencing
kc_07.jpg

HIV Aids
kc_09.jpg

Also HIV Aids
nyaidswalk.gif

:flower: In my earlier post on this subject i mentioned growing up and some the fashion that revovled
politics at the time. I grew up in Oakland CA and actually attended Tai Kwan Do classes thru a program
started by the Black Panther Party. Their unmistakable style of dress set a very powerful presence across the country. Here
are a few photos taken from Photographer and film maker Roz Paynes Achichive. 2 are set in my hometown, I was 2 years old at the time. But the style endured for years.

Attachments

• panters1.jpg
    panters1.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 4
the black panthers were indeed a very very stylish group...though i may not have agreed with all of their methods...they certainly were very striking in their style... :flower: :heart:

I don't know if anyone has posted it yet, but here is an NY Times article about fashion getting political in a Marc Jacobs store:

Store for Designer Clothing Displays Political Leanings
By RUTH LA FERLA

Published: June 4, 2004

Liz Ehrlich stood transfixed at the window of the Marc by Marc Jacobs store on Bleecker Street on Wednesday. Instead of a tableau of flirty spring dresses and chic round-toed pumps, it displayed a 2-foot-by-3-foot cardboard ace of spades with the image of President Bush.

Beneath that was a caption with the words, "I'm the commander - see, I don't need to explain - I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being the president."

The longer she stared, the more she was put off. "Is this a joke?" asked Ms. Ehrlich, who works in marketing at Wired magazine.

It is not. The entire window display has been given over to partisan sentiment of an intensity that seems highly unusual for a major American fashion designer. It includes blown-up playing cards of several members of the administration, reminiscent of the United States military's deck showing members of the old Iraqi regime. The caption under Colin L. Powell's card reads, "My colleagues, every statement I make today is backed up by sources, solid sources.''

Retailing experts called the display a risky strategy. Although the designer Kenneth Cole has created advertising meant to raise awareness of social issues like AIDS, and Diane von Furstenberg and others have raised money for Democrats, retail consultants could not recall a major designer expressing political opinions so provocatively.

"A store is supposed to be a place where you escape reality, lose yourself in the fun of fashion, buy yourself a treat," said Candace Corlett, a partner in WSL Strategic Retail, a New York consulting company. "Smacking customers in the face with a political issue - it's breaking the shopping karma."

Robert Duffy, the president of Marc Jacobs International, in which LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton has a majority stake, said he came up with the idea for the display, with Mr. Jacobs's blessing. "We're fashion people, and we have a voice," he said.

Since the windows went up on May 24, they have not hurt sales, Mr. Duffy said, and they have drawn more praise than ire. "We've gotten thousands of positive messages, some from people coming into the store," he said. "We've gotten only three negative messages.''

The store, in the West Village, sells the actual playing cards for $8 a pack, as well as 92-cent buttons and bumper stickers with slogans like "G.O.P.: Greed, Oil and Plunder," "Nobody Died When Clinton Lied" and "Hail to the Thief."

Mr. Duffy said proceeds from the sales would go to Downtown for Democracy, an organization that describes itself as a political action committee mobilizing the creative community. He said the company had no immediate plans for similar displays at other stores.

Reaction from people passing the store was mixed. Meghan Sharigian, a garden designer who stopped to look on Wednesday, was all smiles. "People don't respond to the news," Ms. Sharigian said. "But they do respond to fashion."

But one middle-aged West Village resident, who identified himself only as Joe, stared sourly at a portrait of Condoleezza Rice, with a caption claiming she had an oil tanker named after her. "This may be a Democratic neighborhood," he said, "but I think the message is insulting to some people."

Ms. Ehrlich, the Wired marketer, said that the windows riled her enough to make her think twice about shopping inside. "We're in a sensitive world right now," she said. "And fanning the fires on our own street is not a good idea."

The window elicited only a shrug from Lisa Mayo, a hairdresser who works in the East Village. "It's interesting marketing," she said. "I guess they can voice their opinion. You don't necessarily have to agree."

She added, "I'm here to shop." Slung on her arm was a brand-new purchase from another of Mr. Jacobs's stores. "I couldn't help myself," she said. "I love their bags."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/04/nyregion/04marc.html

I LOVE Marc Jacobs!!!! B)

i don't love marc jacobs...but i love that people are talking about politics in general...if it promotes some healthy debates and raises some questions...i'm all for it...

now i fonly he had a store in IOWA...where we really need to get out the message...and texas... :ninja:

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 9th, 2004 - 6:09 pm
i don't love marc jacobs...but i love that people are talking about politics in general...if it promotes some healthy debates and raises some questions...i'm all for it...

now i fonly he had a store in IOWA...where we really need to get out the message...and texas... :ninja:
i agree completely...i enjoy these shirts not because of their brash politics but because they are conversation starters which is more than i can say for most clothes i wear.

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 9th, 2004 - 4:09 pm

exactly

but then again there are plenty of republican buisness people in NYC

Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 9th, 2004 - 10:10 am
the black panthers were indeed a very very stylish group...though i may not have agreed with all of their methods...they certainly were very striking in their style... :flower: :heart:
Thanks SG, I understand, but at least they stood up for their beliefs and did it with a whole lot of style. :wink: . :flower:
:flower:

FUNDING THE VOTE: Patricia Field is ready to sign the check — and it will go to Russell Simmons, sort of. The celebrity stylist has chosen Simmons’ Hip Hop Summit Action Network-Team Vote as the charity where 100 percent of the proceeds from the sales of her “Let’s Vote” T-shirts will go. Simmons joined Field in her New York store, Hotel Venus, on Tuesday to announce the news. “Getting young people to vote is very important,” Simmons said. “It is the young people who must pick the president. The old people have already twisted everything up.” Field thought of no other charity when she chose this one. “My respect for Russell has gone back a long time and it continues to grow,” she said. “To me he is number one and there was no other choice to be made.”

The “Let’s Vote” T-shirts and tanks are available for men, women and children for $25 at Hotel Venus and at patriciafield.com

from wwd :flower:

gotta love russel simmons...get those kids to vote!!!...they are going to make or break this election...

since puffy's tring so hard to be like russell...why doesn't he contribute to the effort...if puffy took a stand...you can bet folks would listen...what about 50 cent and eminem...or snoop...

nice role models we've got right now... :wacko: :shock:

:ninja:

thx for the post lena...

hehe...i luv it in aus because everyone has to vote, it's compulsory universal franchaise 18+...i think our system is working well...

it would be interesting to see how outcomes in say UK and Us would come out if eveyrone had to vote...

Originally posted by banana@Jun 28th, 2004 - 1:31 pm
Everyone in Canada: PLEASE VOTE TODAY!!

Thank you. :flower:
i did and i couldn't be more satisfied with the results :flower:

the Star reported today that since its a minority Martin will have to work closely with the NDP in order to achieve any sort of mandate. that means that the government will more than likely have to lean towards the left so that they can overcome the Conservative voting block.

pretty good since a day ago we were imagining what Canada would be like with a Conservative leader. More money to the military and Canadian kids in Iraq???
no thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->