Fashion Is Boring ... Have they Run Out of Ideas?

Crakk said:
I disagree. Fashion is always boring for those who cant afford it, or fit into the sizes, for those that can, there is always something fresh and exciting to buy.
that's not true, I might fit into it but I certainly CANNOT afford it.. and it's never been boring...

my contribution here is brief, in the words of my much-hated shirley manson :P : you're not looking hard enough.. simple as that.
claudisto8.gif

^haha!

i think we need some kind of distinction though,is fashion boring or is the form of creation and actual style? in the words of ninette murk(sort of a mantra to go by)fashion=fascism,style=originality.

and i don't believe that tripe,crakk. sorry,but i don't ascribe to that kind of thinking. i can't fit into everything nor can i afford everything either,but it certainly doesn't bar me from desiring anything...

Last edited by a moderator:
Crakk said:
I disagree. Fashion is always boring for those who cant afford it, or fit into the sizes, for those that can, there is always something fresh and exciting to buy.
...I really don't think that the size of the person has anything to do with it...

That's really not the nicest way of thinking about it.

Well i cant afford every Givenchy trench coat or Dior Homme cuban heel, im just saying, a lot of people are turned off to things they cannot be a part of, in terms of fashion cannot afford/ fit; weight and financial state can be valid reasons as to why one finds fashion boring. Things are cut so slim nowadays, and pieces are overly expensive, i understand the boredom, but i dont agree. LOL!

^it can also inspire one to try their own things in their own style too. just remember that.

Even if you can afford everything ud be bored of fashion sooner or later. Having more money just delays the inevitable. Fashion is just another part of life, it comes and goes.

Fashion has never been so diversified, and for that it can sometimes seem confusing.
What one wears on the street is rarely if ever what one sees on the runways.
The lack of a youth subculture (or the death of such a thing of the past) only confirms the presence of corporate fashism where we are spoon fed what is and what isn't right. Things like New Rave are simply a collage of past movements and thus are short lived. Mind you, everything has such a short half-life because of instant information that ideas rarely get the chance to properly develop before a reactionary style takes its place and we find ourselves reaching back to the previous because it wasn't properly explored the first (and second and third) time round. At least in my opinion.

fashion is the same as it has always been. Only people's perceptions of it might be different

Scott said:
^it can also inspire one to try their own things in their own style too. just remember that.

I couldn't agree more ... and surely even for men there's more to fashion than Dior Homme :innocent:

fashionista-ta said:
I couldn't agree more ... and surely even for men there's more to fashion than Dior Homme :innocent:

Well when you are a man with the height of a basketball player and build of a small woman, there isnt.:rolleyes:

@Crakk:

You are the height of a Basketball player with the build of a small woman?

That's MAD skinny!

There is just too much anaylization :huh: Fashion is, after all, just fashion. It goes beyond the basic "what you wear" mentality, because what you wear is a reflection of your self, so if fashion is "boring" that seems to be representative of a society marked by conformity and fear. Just enjoy fashion as the simple thing it is; don't destroy it with over-thinking (there is enough of that).

im no expert
but far as i know its not possible for fash being boring

I think that the original poster was really just thinking about this on the surface and we're over-analyzing. Not 'the whole industry and all its parts' are boring, but rather just what was going on on the catwalks in the past seasons.:innocent:

Totally agree. Nothing new at all...maybe coz the designer label concern about making profit...it seems different label but with same style n clothing ......except Hussein Chalayan. But some how he's developing some high tech clothing..though not wearable, it's inspirational~

there's just too much of the same out there, and little things we must have.

I do remember wanting everything I saw on Vogue magazines. There's a lot of different things out there, but I dont know, I don't see that "umph" that I used to get from collections. Now, I just flip through pages to just get through it.

Me 2. I dun find much interesting in seeing those fashion magazine. Even the style of the fashion magazine are also similar. The fashion magazine had different style between them in the past. But now.....seems reading one magazine is enough~

Yea, there is really nothing I want anymore. It's annoying b/c I have coworkers who have truly fabulous sh*t from a loong time ago that is still sooo amazing. And I think...There is nothing like that available anymore, there is nothing I can buy this year that in 20 will still be in great condition and still amazing and fresh. The new fashion has become so consumable, so sellable, noone wants to take risks anymore, and those who do are praised for it because we're so desperate for something interesting.

Too many designers are focusing on the red carpet look and it's really annoying me.

fascinating thread. I think though to say you hate where fashion is at is like saying you hate art, period. Fashion is as broad a term or concept as you want it to be. If fashion just means what the mainstram designers are doing then perhaps it has become a bit stale, or more that people are tiring of it because as someone intellitently pointed out already, its "overexposed". I am really tired of everyone and their mother doing a fashion line and doing collaborations with high street stores and i aslo find red carpet events boring but i still love fashion. Without sounding too philosophical i think fashion can be a statement of self, of individalism and from that perspective i find it fascinating. I was inspired by Hoxton a couple of years ago - cool fashion (and people) with a slightly underground feel. For me whats interesting now is stuff like the sartorialist, and what obsecure small brands are doing rather than the superbrands. Superbrands are too business driven - smaller individual designers are the ones who are really pushing the boundaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->