Fashion Is Boring ... Have they Run Out of Ideas?

kitten_77 said:
fascinating thread. I think though to say you hate where fashion is at is like saying you hate art, period.

I disagree- I think someone can hate the current fashion "look" while still loving Fashion itself. It would be akin to someone who hate's abstract expressionism(I don't), but loves renaissance painting. Fashion, like art, moves in broad trends- each decade has it's specific look- and even though there are many variations within that look, they still all are part of the broad general mood.

Each person has their own tastes, and proabably favors a certain style, which may or may not be in fashion at any given moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ i wasnt' talking about people who hate current trends i was talking about people who mentioned they are bored wiht fashion in general. My point was just that its possible, that peopel who are bored with fashion as a whole are probably (or possibly) taking too narrow a view on it.

It's hard to say because it's hard for designers to be revolutionary nowadays.. everything has been experimented with already and now fashion is repeating itself in a more modern way I guess you could say. I think that fashion has already been taken to its extreme - with Leigh Bowery as an icon being at its extreme end of course. I don't think that it's boring now though that's for sure - it's just harder for people to be shocked

i think this constant comparing of designers with other designers makes fashion boring :neutral: surely it's possible to find something interesting in almost each garment if there was some knowledge of clothing construction, textiles, etc beforehand (before judging right away). how else can you understand it

i feel as if the fashion landscape or "mood" changed completely when tom ford left gucci and ysl. correct me if i'm wrong, but while tom ford designed, he sort of reigned over fashion at the time, and his kind of sex appeal trickled over to many other designers. as soon as he left, it was as if everyone was liberated and the mood shifted back to a more reserved, intellectual look. this appears boring on the surface to me, although it may be more interesting and advancing as far as technique, shapes and fabrics. although i have to say i do long for the days circa 2001-2003, there was just a general frivolity in fashion that just led to awesome, beautiful looking looks that i hope we can soon re-discover.

I think you can definetily be bored by the fashion of this time - it is boring and mostly classless. There are some who interest, but not much. I think I have to agree with Alejandro here. I adore fashion, but I don't think there's been anything great going on for a long time. There are multiple reasons for why it is so, but one of the major ones is that recycling has gotten to the point it is no longer exciting. Although there were new, innovative fashions coming up in, say, 20's, there were still influences from other decades. In think every decade of fashion has "recycled" past influences, but we have now gotten to the point where everything is having its 100 time around and there's nothing innovative.

I guess the most innovative of today are those who work with "interactive" clothing, like Hussein Chalayan. But the shapes he works with are old... so nothing too innovative and new there either.

i agree with posts made by alejandro & duttyrock, everything just seems to be the same lately and there is really a lack of "must have" items

I think the only way for fashion to go forward is if more of these 'global citizens' start designing without conforming to their native school of thought.

Also, fashion in general seems to have a lot of elements from the fifties in it. Somehow we reverted back to a time when models walk faceless and emotionless, and the only thing that matters in a collection is a silhouette. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just that we went backwards instead of forward.

^ we can't change the designers, we can't make people change
it is up to us to change :lucky:

We should start to make our own clothes.

I agree with the person who said everything in fashion have been experimented, there is nothing left to shock. I deem the 20th century was the biggest revolutionary century for fashion, and we have came to the end - The End of Fashion.

It may be time for us to make our own clothes; or clothes is not a priority any more, since fashion have gone so diverse, so fast, so exposed, so toned down .... People value comfort more than ever, that high fashion have came to the end.

It would be a lovely idea to make our own clothes, but unfortunately all of us are not blessed with the gift of clothes making and tailoring.

A question for you all, why waist your time on something that bores you so much?

I really don't understand, if people think it's getting so boring, why use all this energy, why not use it on something that excites you!
What really bores me is this constant holding on to these outdated terms as the "new", "moving forward" etc., this nostalgia! what ever happened to the excitement and sensations when you feel the fabric of the cloth touching your body, when you see a certain shape, a silhuette passes you in the street, textures, materials, surfaces, forms, colours, lines ... I feel it! I get excited! I have desires! why do people keep hanging on to these limiting terms, these closed/definable points in fashion? It seems like only few people get aesthetically touched by clothing nowadays!

i think ilaughead nailed it with his comment that fashion has reverted to the fifties. most of the attention now is being paid to designers who are working with silhouette in a very 50's manner. it's very boring IMO. where is the glitz and glamour? at the end of the day, it's just clothes but my god there is no element of fantasy, nothing super dreamy. this is the first season where i see a possible change for the better... considering the wonderful chanel and dior couture collections.

today,everything is fashionable... that is boring... it is like been there,done that...
but as someone said,it is time for next generation of designers... ooooor.we should start walking around naked, like in Pret-A-Porter movie!!!

WhiteLinen said:
^So we should make our own clothes?
yes or find a way to wear the clothes so it's interesting to you, so it's more personal, so it has nothing to do with thinking about innovation and comparison w/ other people, so it is just simply for satisfying your aesthetics and your own pleasure, just like multitudes says...

Multitudes said:
A question for you all, why waist your time on something that bores you so much?

I really don't understand, if people think it's getting so boring, why use all this energy, why not use it on something that excites you!
What really bores me is this constant holding on to these outdated terms as the "new", "moving forward" etc., this nostalgia! what ever happened to the excitement and sensations when you feel the fabric of the cloth touching your body, when you see a certain shape, a silhuette passes you in the street, textures, materials, surfaces, forms, colours, lines ... I feel it! I get excited! I have desires! why do people keep hanging on to these limiting terms, these closed/definable points in fashion? It seems like only few people get aesthetically touched by clothing nowadays!

:clap: from me for your comment - couldn't agree more. Why people log onto a fashion blog to complain that all fashion is boring is a mystery to me. I picked up two fashion/design magaizines at the weekend (Surface and Bon) and found the melding of fashion, design and photography mesmerising. Yes there are a lot of styles which are "in" but surely thats a good thing -it means people can play with different styles and mix them up and be individual? To say you find fashion boring is defeatist in my opinion - if you really love it you will find ways to make it inspire you.

For those who are bored with fashion, what can designers do to un-bore you? Make pants with three legs, shirts with no sleeve holes? Would you wear these clothes? What exactly can they do that hasn't been done already?

Who has said ALL fashion is boring? I think we are only discussing the state of fashion NOW, which means 2007. Of course we should pick clothing that suits to our own aesthetic, but what if our aesthetic dream is to be moving forward? What if we are bored of what is being offered to us right now? I would have no problem dressing like they did in the Fifties, and being all elegance, quality materials and pillbox hats, but I can't do that because I don't like looking like I came out of a costume party.

How many designers produce anything that matches my aesthetic dreams? None at the moment. The likes of Ann Demeulemeester and Hussein Chalayan might make my life with fashion a little bit easier, but it still does not make me think fashion is going to a good direction. I crave the time of Dior and Balenciaga to come back, or then something completely new.

I wish I could sew and make my own clothes, but I can't. That's why I have to rely on people/factories who can do that. Those people are not matching my aesthetics, nor doing anything else than making everything look cheap and recycle trends.

Why can't we go back to time when it was important to dress appropriately and always remember quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe its a little bit boring beacause they repeat on there selfs. i can see clothes from now and they look like clothes from the 60s so...its nothing new. but i still think that the clothe are beautiful and wearabel. i dont really agree with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->