GAP - what are your opinions??

I rechecked my post after your surprise at the gap bringing in the most revenue, and the sales figures for North America for the three stores in 2006, showed Old Navy bringing in $6 billion, the Gap bringing in $5 billion and BR bringing in $2 billion in sales. This makes sense if sales volumes were larger in the store (Old Navy) that typically had the lower prices.

I think the stress of making that first-ever post had me wrapped up in a misread of the numbers!!

Considering their sales numbers for all three stores are in the billions, it may be safe to say that all their stores are surviving. (I could personally make do with even a mere $1 billion, if I were forced to!)

In Long Beach, all three stores are lined up within one block on 2nd Street. Invariably, it's the compelling BR window display that draws me there first, passing over the other two.

I enjoyed your post. I'm not surprised that ON would have the largest volume because of pricing. ON is not my favorite of the three chains; I also prefer Banana (now that they killed off Forth & Towne because it was allegedly a resource drain. IMO, they should have kept it, but what do I know?)

$100 for 2 pairs of jeans seems like a steal, but that's just me...
in that age of sevens, jet, jbrand, etc. jeans where you can't even get one pair for that price...
at least their jeans come in lengths and i don't have to get them hemmed (which saves another $10-$20)...

yes, some of their tops & dresses are cut a bit wide, but i think the pants sizing is spot on...
straight and curvy fits and different lengths (which old navy now does)...
you'd be hard pressed to find that in H&M, topshop, etc.

actually, when you think about it, there isn't much difference between old navy's work clothing and the gap's...
it's button down shirts, wide leg or straight leg pants in navy, brown and black...

i was in there again this weekend and i am sorry...
but i just cannot stand that store...
the only thing it is good for is baby clothes imo...

i have a $70 credit which i am finding simply impossible to spend...
:(

I think Gap's primary issues is their marketing. People are losing a lot of faith in Gap, and their clothes in the United States seem to be getting simpler and simpler (for the better or worse.) The clothes are a bit out of fashion and never seem to change >.<

you might want to hold on to that gift card soft...
from fashionista.com

Guess what we heard?

Three AsFour is doing a new line for Gap!

The design collective follows in the footsteps of Rodarte, Thakoon, Doo.Ri, and Roland Mouret, all of whom created past collaborations with the retail brand - including a line of crisp white shirts that landed smack on the cover of Vogue, directly after Gap made a million-dollar donation to the CFDA / Vogue Fashion Fund.

You should be able to get the clothes starting this Spring, and they're not the only Gap arrival we're anticipating:

That GapBody collaboration with Marie-Amelie Sauve, of Balenciaga fame, should also be just around the corner...

not to mention the pierre hardy collaboration should be in stores in early spring...

thanks miss kim...:P

i thought the pierre hardy thing was europe only and was over already...:huh:..

marie-amelie sauve...
she is GOOD...
maybe i can find something there..

as four...:yuk:...

:ninja:

I really like GAP for basic pieces and there clothes also fit very nicely. I have trouble with there jeans though, they all seem to be too short in the legs for me. :cry: Although I love how they have different types of jeans to fit different body types.

I do agree though that GAP seems to be coming out with simpler and simpler clothing. -_-

usually I wear a 0 but their xs and 0 sometimes swallows me! Their sizes are way off.
I'm usually not fond of their fabric either. A lot of their dressy items and buttons downs are made of this certain fabric. I'm not sure what it is called but I call it "slightly stretchy Mom broadcloth", it is this weird fabric that doesn't look like it should be stretchy...but it is, and it has a slight sheen. Does anyone know what I mean? :unsure:
As far as style goes, I guess they are a little less frat/ sorority style than they used to be but still not my taste.

i thought the pierre hardy thing was europe only and was over already...:huh:..
Not sure if it's Europe only but there will be a Pierre Hardy S/S 2008 collection as well. I think it comes out around 25 March in the UK, no clue about the rest of the world though. There's a pair of platforms I've seen featured in a couple of magazines that I really like the look of, so think this collection might be an improvement on the winter one.

I've quite liked Gap lately, a few of their designs have seemed very APC-esque. That is the European collection though, which I thought was very good decision on their part, as I never really shopped there when they were selling the same things as in the US.

They're size 2 jeans seem like a size 6. Same old clothes. I was reading in WWD that they're buisness is going down because of that. That's the main reason for their new campaign ads and urge to get new designers to "reinvent" the clothes, but still the same old same old.

I can't help but echo the choruses of "simple" and "same old." Banana Republic was a favorite of mine from about 2000 to 2003 or so... but the clothing is so similar to what you find at H&M and Express, that it just doesn't have the oomph factor for me. What I liked recently was the "Luxe" collection of tailored pieces, unique fabrics, and elegant styling. Admittedly, the only things I purchased from the "Luxe" collection were an attache, camera bag, and a couple belts, but nonetheless I appreciated and (falsely) anticipated that it would be a trend towards bigger and better things. The Spring line is currently out and I'm a bit bored already. We'll see if there will be an influx in the U.S. with the designer line later this Spring, but I won't hold my breath.

Recognizing that BR/Gap/Old Navy are trying to sell a commercial product to a significant demographic, I can appreciate from a business standpoint that being conservative from season to season will maintain customers, and that keeping prices reasonable in conjunction with slightly trendy clothing will continue to attract additional consumers. It's a personal thing, but I'd rather not be wearing jeans, a shirt, or a jacket that 10 other people are wearing at the mall when I look around.

As it stands now, you can shop around at other stores and find similar quality/trend and lower price points on clothing. Hopefully the Gap will realize that being the Walmart of clothing isn't enough...

I love the Gap. I think their prices are a bit higher but the quality is usually very good - everything I've ever bought from there lasts forever and a day. You could wear a pair of Gap jeans through a monsoon and it would still be good the next day. I have stuff from the Gap thats five or six years old that is still as good as new. I feel the distinctions in quality for the Gap Inc brands is large enough that I'd rather spend extra for the Gap than get it at Old Navy. Especially for certain things. If I need a tank top or something I buy in bulk like that I'd go to Old Navy - if I want something that will last longer than a month I go to Gap.

As for being the Walmart of clothing, I can't say I agree. I mean isn't Walmart already the Walmart of clothing?

I went into the Gap today and already you can see Patrick Robinson's touch - there is a lot of interesting stuff there - basic but not dull. Great things you could pair with anything from a plain white tee to a pair of Louboutins and still look good in. Anyone can walk into the Gap and find something and I think thats the genius of it.

As for fashion forward - I have to say that I don't necessarily even WANT the Gap to turn into some super trendy place. Granted, the market has shifted towards more specialized shopping experiences and niche stores but I don't like the idea of Gap becoming increasingly trend focused. They shoud update the concept of basics and include more modernized versions of those stock items well need in our closets but I don't see them as a trendy company. Every other store has rotating disposable clothes that go in and out of style as quickly as they can restock the racks and thats all well and good but sometimes I just want a decent cardigan at a reasonable price.

Besides, I really think it all amounts to styling. You can take items from the Gap or Old Navy, or hell Walmart and you can style them in a way that looks interesting - or you can wear them as is. I think the recent Gap runway presentation was a testament to this - everything shown was fairly basic in nature but it was all styled in unique ways. For me anyway

One problem I think Gap does have is fit - either the clothing is too large (I hear this complaint often with people in the smaller size ranges) or the clothing is too long (I swear to god that I always have to get my pants at the Gap hemmed and I am 5'6) if these fit issues were resolved I think more people would be able to enjoy the Gap. They should bring their plus size range to the store and off the website but thats a separate issue. :flower:

But yes I really enjoy Gap and I have to say I saw quite a few things I want to get there today. There was this cream leather jacket that was just to die for. So buttery soft!

I have a special place in my heart for the Gap. The whole aesthetic is just so preppy and All American, it brings to mind so many things I enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the Gap. I think their prices are a bit higher but the quality is usually very good - everything I've ever bought from there lasts forever and a day. You could wear a pair of Gap jeans through a monsoon and it would still be good the next day. I have stuff from the Gap thats five or six years old that is still as good as new. I feel the distinctions in quality for the Gap Inc brands is large enough that I'd rather spend extra for the Gap than get it at Old Navy. Especially for certain things. If I need a tank top or something I buy in bulk like that I'd go to Old Navy - if I want something that will last longer than a month I go to Gap.

As for being the Walmart of clothing, I can't say I agree. I mean isn't Walmart already the Walmart of clothing?

I went into the Gap today and already you can see Patrick Robinson's touch - there is a lot of interesting stuff there - basic but not dull. Great things you could pair with anything from a plain white tee to a pair of Louboutins and still look good in. Anyone can walk into the Gap and find something and I think thats the genius of it.

As for fashion forward - I have to say that I don't necessarily even WANT the Gap to turn into some super trendy place. Granted, the market has shifted towards more specialized shopping experiences and niche stores but I don't like the idea of Gap becoming increasingly trend focused. They shoud update the concept of basics and include more modernized versions of those stock items well need in our closets but I don't see them as a trendy company. Every other store has rotating disposable clothes that go in and out of style as quickly as they can restock the racks and thats all well and good but sometimes I just want a decent cardigan at a reasonable price.

Besides, I really think it all amounts to styling. You can take items from the Gap or Old Navy, or hell Walmart and you can style them in a way that looks interesting - or you can wear them as is. I think the recent Gap runway presentation was a testament to this - everything shown was fairly basic in nature but it was all styled in unique ways. For me anyway

One problem I think Gap does have is fit - either the clothing is too large (I hear this complaint often with people in the smaller size ranges) or the clothing is too long (I swear to god that I always have to get my pants at the Gap hemmed and I am 5'6) if these fit issues were resolved I think more people would be able to enjoy the Gap. They should bring their plus size range to the store and off the website but thats a separate issue. :flower:

But yes I really enjoy Gap and I have to say I saw quite a few things I want to get there today. There was this cream leather jacket that was just to die for. So buttery soft!

I have a special place in my heart for the Gap. The whole aesthetic is just so preppy and All American, it brings to mind so many things I enjoy.

I agree with you whole heartedly. You make some strong, valid points.

A person with a unique, creative style can take an item that they see 10 other people are wearing and turn it to something of their own.

I think Gap's primary issues is their marketing. People are losing a lot of faith in Gap, and their clothes in the United States seem to be getting simpler and simpler (for the better or worse.) The clothes are a bit out of fashion and never seem to change >.<

the gap just switched designers, so you'll be seeing a lot of changes in styles and fits, especially in the current collection. the upcoming collection is okay, but nothing to brag about. it's very, very colorful and pastel, but i think the men's gap collection will be better liked than the woman's for what is to be sold in stores as soon as the new clothes is launched. (if i remember correctly, it'll be out within the next week or so!)

I enjoyed your post. I'm not surprised that ON would have the largest volume because of pricing. ON is not my favorite of the three chains; I also prefer Banana (now that they killed off Forth & Towne because it was allegedly a resource drain. IMO, they should have kept it, but what do I know?)

forth & towne closed because it wasn't producing any money. i know that it was often compared to banana republic, but it was actually made to target women 35 and over, while banana republic is made to target women in their twenties and early thirties.

forth & towne was all about their customer service, a notch above the good customer service that should be received at banana republic. (if you ever went to one of their stores, you'll notice that their fitting rooms were beautiful, and the reason why they were designed in that manner was in order to make the customer feel welcome, at home, comfortable, and etc.!) nonetheless, not even that high level of customer service was helping them making any money.

I just noticed their spring collection isn't really something to write home about. It kinda looks like Old Navy's. Even Banana's, not that good.

I just noticed their spring collection isn't really something to write home about. It kinda looks like Old Navy's. Even Banana's, not that good.

the current collection that is out isn't really their actual "big spring" collection. it's called trans/spring i. their actual spring collection, "spring ii," comes out soon, but is not in stores yet.

GAP = nothing more than "basique". And that is why we love GAP!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->