GAP - what are your opinions??

selenessecret

Reaction score
I, for one, am loving Gap's current collection (UK) they've got some fabulous pieces and I can't understand how they are still losing profit (though I can understand that with Joss Stone as your fashion frontwoman things must be difficult, I don't exactly look at her as being style savvy)

What do you all think?

I'm off to buy a grey wool pleated skirt from there tmrw. V. Marc Jacobs when worn with a polo neck or pussybow blouse!

selenessecret said:
I, for one, am loving Gap's current collection (UK) they've got some fabulous pieces and I can't understand how they are still losing profit (though I can understand that with Joss Stone as your fashion frontwoman things must be difficult, I don't exactly look at her as being style savvy)

What do you all think?

I'm off to buy a grey wool pleated skirt from there tmrw. V. Marc Jacobs when worn with a polo neck or pussybow blouse!

Yes, Gap has some great collections, although I'm not sure to which one you are referring to.

I like GAP sooo much and for my unfurtune here (in Slovenia) we can't buy it. I always buy something when going out. I liked SJP as testimonial. She was great, stylish and glamorous.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a horrible company with tons of sweatshop abuses in poor countries and they exploit child labor... So no thanks.... :yuk:

I think choosing Joss Stone was a horrible move, marketing wise. A lot of people aren't familiar with her, and the fact they thought she could help sell/promote their product is beyond me.

Overall, Gap has its good collections, but definitely a share of the bad and blah. I'm not digging this season, but as I've noted elsewhere on the board, I totally loved the seasons that SJP just happened to promote.. Fall '04 and Spring '05. They really had some nice, key pieces in those collections.

I'm not so hot on the Gap, everytime i buy something within a week like 3 people at my office have it too. i HATE that. and you cant deny their deplorable human rights violations.

Kimkhuu said:
I think it's a horrible company with tons of sweatshop abuses in poor countries and they exploit child labor... So no thanks.... :yuk:

If we're talking about exploit child labor...it's not the only one.
So, no GAP, no Nike, no almost nothing...only Fair trade cooperatives:o

I think they went away from SJP because having her as a spokesperson would appeal mainly to an aging 30-40 something demographic (also her career is in a bit of a decline now that SATC is over). The idea of utilizing Joss Stone (a "real" up-and- coming artist) as the new face of Gap was, in my opinion, an attempt to make the brand "hipper/appealing" and give it less of such a humdrum mainstream suburban shopping mall vibe...
It didn't work well for sales, but I can see what they were trying to do...

I hate it. I put on an old Gap corduroy jacket I found yesterday. It was marked a size small. The armholes came down practically to the bottom of my ribs, like some crazy size XL armhole, and the chest was surely about a size L or M at best. The arms were almost the right length for me, though, as was the overall length. It's cut for a completely spherical man. I'd hate to meet the person who fits into it well; luckily, I don't think he's been born yet.

^ American fit. :wink:

But if it was old, old, old maybe it was cut in a style you don't expect to find now?

I personally have a bit of trouble with the sizes! Im a UK size 14, and have to go for the XL sizes- which seem to be in short supply in my local store! I also find that the stuff you see the likes of SJP wearing in the ads sells out really quick. Gap things tend to look way better on the mannequins in the stores than they do on me!

I'm not really a fan at all. Their fabrics are really awful and the cuts tend to not fit my figure - too big and wide. It might be cheap, but aside from basic things like tanktops and camisoles I stay away - its just not worth it to me.

Kimkhuu said:
I was just going to post the exact same thing. It's one of the worst corporations for it.
They completly exploit children (and adults) in 'third world countries'.

gap is failing in the uk because they expect our taste to be that of middle america- bland preppy. the uk high street is more trend-led. but i've noticed the men's accessories are quite good- especially the bags and scarves.

i feel bad buying gap because of its sweatshop things

i thought they made a good move a couple years ago when they revamped and made theirstuff nicer. they make a lot of really cute stuff, though with the revamping, they definately raised their prices to way more than i am willing to pay for a lot of that stuff.

boho,well,they and that other American travesty that is Wal-Mart. They're both the same to me. Just that Wal-Mart doesn't have celebs pushing their sweatshop-made crap across the board.

Scott said:
boho,well,they and that other American travesty that is Wal-Mart. They're both the same to me. Just that Wal-Mart doesn't have celebs pushing their sweatshop-made crap across the board.

ugh... just thinking about it make me want to throw up... let's just stay away from gap... There ethics make me so sick, I don't want to buy from such a horrible company!

Kimkhuu said:
ugh... just thinking about it make me want to throw up... let's just stay away from gap... There ethics make me so sick, I don't want to buy from such a horrible company!
same

tott said:
^ American fit. :wink:

But if it was old, old, old maybe it was cut in a style you don't expect to find now?
Nope, definitely just the "American fit" thing. And I'm totally with the last few posts. Screw Gap.

i don't understand how Gap can be so popular... the clothes have an awful fit, among many other things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->