"Girl Model" - Documentary

PBS is airing girl model now in the states.

you can view it here.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2343930481

I saw this last night and it is very depressing. The model scout Ashley doesn't come off well at all. She's obviously conflicted. She hates the modeling industry but it has also provided her financial independence and the ability to buy a home. The fact that she approached the documentary makers with the idea of doing "Girl Model" as a movie about the intersection of modeling with prostitution tells you everything you need to know about how much she detests the industry she is now part of but can't seem to pull herself away from.
But ultimately the industry comes looking the worst, with the lies agencies tell to lure the girls, cheat them out of their pay, and break the laws that seek to protect the girls.
And the one modeling agent who actually says that he was a military officer who killed people and now is in the modeling business to give back to humanity was absolutely delusion defined.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this last night and it is very depressing. The model scout Ashley doesn't come off well at all. She's obviously conflicted. She hates the modeling industry but it has also provided her financial independence and the ability to buy a home. The fact that she approached the documentary makers with the idea of doing "Girl Model" as a movie about the intersection of modeling with prostitution tells you everything you need to know about how much she detests the industry she is now part of but can't seem to pull herself away from.
But ultimately the industry comes looking the worst, with the lies agencies tell to lure the girls, cheat them out of their pay, and break the laws that seek to protect the girls.
And the one modeling agent who actually says that he was a military officer who killed people and now is in the modeling business to give back to humanity was absolutely delusion defined.

i watched this today and i was in the bathroom while ashley was explaining how she got her 2 million dollar house in Connecticut...did she get it from modeling or selling stocks or something? or did she marry some rich guy she met while modeling?

was the modeling agent trying to say he was a military officer in a past life?

For those in the US (and maybe elsewhere?) this has just been added to Netflix!

Wow. It just got real.

I watched this documentary. And I felt that most of the people in it were skeevy, except for Nadia. I'm sorry that she had a terrible experience with the release of this film.

I watched this movie today. That's great that Nadya has happy life now and she enjoyed her modelling life

You actually believe that?! :blink: She's clearly still a young girl who's being manipulated exactly like she was in the movie. I won't discredit her statements about Raymon as I have no knowledge or right to, but for her to praise her her agency/the Japanese modeling industry, and to say everything that happened in the film was an exaggeration or misportrayal is ridiculous.

All of the adults in this film were despicable -- her parents first and foremost (I realize they come from poverty, but to send a 13 year old kid off on their own to another country is completely irresponsible), the agents,

and man, Ashley Arbaugh is such a sad and hollow human being, although I guess you'd have to be to do her job (to destroy girls lives the way hers was destroyed), I found her mental state to be incredibly disturbing.

It really reminds you that a lot of the girls in this industry are just that, girls, not women, who shouldn't be looked at in the way they are or dealt the extra burdens that come with a working in such a unregulated (and often smutty) industry.

I just watched this yesterday and found it so interesting. I see that Ashley got married, had a kid, and runs an ethical clothing line now, so maybe that documentary finally forced her to take some responsibility for what she was doing.

I know she was very weird, but she still had an alluring quality to her. Are there any more photos from her modeling days around? All I could find was this.

6cDMS6F.jpg

tokyoweekender

2nd. Feb, 2001.

Not all of the girls, though, visit Tokyo for monetary or marketability reasons. Ashley Holland Arbaugh, who graces our front page, came to soak in Japan’s culture. “I am taking tea ceremony lessons on the weekends while I am here,” she says. “I have already bought my house, so I before I start university, I wanted to see more of the world.”

She has seen quite a bit already. Born in Michigan, she has spent the better part of the last three years modeling in Paris, London and Milan. She now resides and models in New York. When asked about her goals for modeling, she laughs.

“I don’t really have any. I started modeling a bit late at 17 and in the past three years have got a lot from it. I am looking forward to studying design and ceramics,” she says.

i watched this today and i was in the bathroom while ashley was explaining how she got her 2 million dollar house in Connecticut...did she get it from modeling or selling stocks or something? or did she marry some rich guy she met while modeling?

She said it was just real estate. She bought a small house and made money every time she sold her houses consequently. She was also the NY booker for Elite models, which they didn't mention and she was also working as a fashion designer, so I guess she was making money from that as well.

For those in Australia it is currently streaming free on SBS On Demand.

Well, I think it's a touching and in parts really honest documentary: it is irresponsible to send a 13 year old child off alone to another continent (although in this case the documentary team was with her, obviously).

But the conclusion that Nadya went out in debt is rather stupid: no agency will make their models actually pay their debts; it just goes to their account and they will try to find work for the model so the account is balanced again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->