Givenchy S/S 2015 by Mert Alas & Marcus Piggott

I haven't been truly impressed by a Givenchy campaign since the sensational fall 2011 set, but I a must admit just the unexpected choice of Julia - and just her instead of a barrage of celebrities - gives this campaign serious edge over the rest. I think it was s smart move to have her wear the more "staples"of the collection/brand as she is quite the epitome timeless.
The Givenchy cast is always good so I look forward to the rest of the images.

Funny how everyone comments on her looks, yet I'm glad she isn't photoshopped to death, She actually looks her age which is a nice thing these days!!

What a tired strawman argument. Literally not a single person has complained about her looking old. Quite to the contrary, a few have expressed their satisfaction with this use of an "older" woman. Nobody has complained about lack of photoshop either. Every one's look in fashion is commented on.

I like the fact they cast Julia Roberts because she's unexpected and that she looks her age even tho this is by M&M

It's unexpected for certain. I wonder if the rest of the cast will also be makeup-less?

i'd argue that it's precisely because julia roberts has shed the "america's sweetheart" label that this campaign can work. she looks tough with a slight kristen mcmenamy vibe. i quite like this. miles and miles better than that madonna schlock, which is just vile and repetitive.

I wouldn't necessarily associate Julia with Givenchy but it really works imo! She looks beautiful and I love that older women are showing up more and more in campaigns. Can't wait for the rest of the cast, hoping for Kristen and Naomi!

I love this! Looking forward to the rest of the images with the other girls.

What a surprising choice for a Givenchy campaign! Never would have expected Julia to front the campaign...but she looks wonderful imo. Can't wait to see the rest of the campaign cast though!

Julia Roberts in my eyes is a very beautiful woman and a sometimes underrated actress and as weird as this pairing might seem, I love it. It all looks very real.

What a surprise than Julia is the face of Givenchy, she fits so well.

what are the chances that Kendall Jenner will be on the campaign again? please not yet another thread filled with "hate" comments -_-:lol:

what are the chances that Kendall Jenner will be on the campaign again? please not yet another thread filled with "hate" comments -_-:lol:

Nah, no chance of that thankfully. Karl's all over her apparently so I trust he's kept her busy. Maybe the rest of the cast will be newbies like Gucci Resort? Hhhmmm......

THANK GOD for the range use of models in the campaign. (I didn't want to use the word "younger" because I'd be accused of agism). I don't oppose to seeing older woman in advertisements at all. But, when the collection is rather youthful (which I found springs to be), it just doesn't fit the collection and doesn't look age appropriate. Fall 2014 with Isabelle Huppert was TERRIFIC, as the collection did have a mature appeal). Also, I just don't understand why Tisci finds her so groundbreaking. She'll always have that America's sweetheart labeled to her. I can think of plenty more groundbreaking and "strong" actresses, such as Cate Blanchett. Also, I just don't find it flattering. Her nose looks weird in the first shot.
That being said,Givenchy has differently rebranded into a total Gimmicky brand anymore. Ricardo's gimmicky decisions don't surprise me anymore.:roll eyes:

(Wonder if he was throwing shade at Kim or Kendall though!)

I love Julia, and think she looks phenomenal here. The reality is though, that it's entirely gimmicky, she's not a Givenchy woman at all.

My problem is that the campaign seems so pointless. Especially since she's not even wearing the S/S collection, feels like they just literally wanted to put her face next to the logo and get some press. Why not integrate her in the "real campaign" like they did with Isabelle Huppert last season? It would be far more interesting.

THANK GOD for the range use of models in the campaign. (I didn't want to use the word "younger" because I'd be accused of agism). I don't oppose to seeing older woman in advertisements at all. But, when the collection is rather youthful (which I found springs to be), it just doesn't fit the collection and doesn't look age appropriate. Fall 2014 with Isabelle Huppert was TERRIFIC, as the collection did have a mature appeal).
I still don't think this argument holds any water, though, because ultimately - who will end up wearing the clothes from the collection in real life, anyway? - most likely grown women, since that generally tends to be who can afford to wear runway designer pieces. Plus, aesthetically, it's often very interesting to have an "older" model wearing something "younger" as it creates a visual tension of sorts...it'd be boring if "young" collections could only be worn by the "young." That's a very one-dimensional way of thinking, and not particularly clever, either.

The same argument popped up in Madonna's Versace campaign thread, too...about how it was such a youthful collection and therefore needed young models...which is just silly, really (especially because what designer ISN'T designing collections that are supposed to come off as looking youthful? Who out there is designing with the intention of making women look as old as possible??). Ultimately, it doesn't matter how old the person is in front of the camera, it just matters if the results look good or not. I'd say in this case, they don't look that good. Uninspired portraits, made even worse with the HORRIBLE addition of the tumblr-esque landscape shot. So pretentious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still don't think this argument holds any water, though, because ultimately - who will end up wearing the clothes from the collection in real life, anyway? - most likely grown women, since that generally tends to be who can afford to wear runway designer pieces. Plus, aesthetically, it's often very interesting to have an "older" model wearing something "younger" as it creates a visual tension of sorts...it'd be boring if "young" collections could only be worn by the "young." That's a very one-dimensional way of thinking, and not particularly clever, either.

The same argument popped up in Madonna's Versace campaign thread, too...about how it was such a youthful collection and therefore needed young models...which is just silly, really (especially because what designer ISN'T designing collections that are supposed to come off as looking youthful? Who out there is designing with the intention of making women look as old as possible??). Ultimately, it doesn't matter how old the person is in front of the camera, it just matters if the results look good or not. I'd say in this case, they don't look that good. Uninspired portraits, made even worse with the HORRIBLE addition of the tumblr-esque landscape shot. So pretentious.

But can you picture someone like Catherine Denueve, or an old socialite wearing tight mini dresses with grommeted lacing between the breast area and peep-toe boots at their age? I highly doubt Julia would, seeing Pretty Woman was 24 years ago. :innocent: Same thing in the Versace thread, most woman Madonna's age or older are not planning to buy the crystal mini skirts. When collections are as sexy as the Givenchy and Versace collections are, it's easier to have someone young represent them, seeing that young people would have a higher tendency to buy and wear items from the collection.

However, I do also agree that the images are uninspiring and that she just doesn't rock the natural hard aesthetic they were trying to achieve.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
franckcl17
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->