Grace Jones dislikes Lady Gaga

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by Leeroi, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

source: http://www.accesshollywood.com/grac...h-someone-who-is-not-copying-me_article_31294

2. before

before Active Member

Of course she copied you Grace, she copies everyone. Lady Gaga is a mediocre artist at best, and a marketing machine at most.

She's manufactured for people who are, you know, so avant-garde that they've never heard a song charting on itunes top 10.

Whatever. She is a popstar. And god knows that popstars are an enduring source of creativity and originality.

There's been a dozen gagas and there will be many more. Let this one have her moment.

3. amour_amour363

amour_amour363 New Member

I can't stand Lady Gaga. She's great at promoting her product, and it seems people are willing to buy it. But I personally can't view her as an "artist" or innovative.

4. NakedIfIWantTo

NakedIfIWantTo on the come up

someone who's not copying me!!

5. jun3machina

jun3machina New Member

lady gaga is only popular because her fan base is to young and un-educated to know about real innovators from decades past....it's only original if your fans dont know what your ripping from...

6. CharlottefromCA

CharlottefromCA User Friendly

i don't get all the lady gaga hate.. when did she ever say she invented what she does.. she admits she is influenced by david bowie and such.. and Grace Jones is a legend but she loses points for me here.. this type of vitriol is just NOT needed.

7. clocked

clocked Active Member

haha i LOVE Grace for saying that!!!

8. Urban Stylin

Urban Stylin ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

ya right..jealousy perharps

9. NakedIfIWantTo

NakedIfIWantTo on the come up

^clearly, but Grace has a point.

10. mrsjamesdean

mrsjamesdean New Member

I like Lady GaGa but I know she obviously being 'influenced' by many artists. But c'mon the ratio of 'originals' artist to other artists who is supposedly 'copies' is 1:100000000

11. Working Girl

Working Girl New Member

Everybody is hating on Gaga like they hated on Britney early in her career. Everybody said Britney coped Janet Jackson and Madonna. Now people are saying Gaga is copying Grace and Madonna. When I listen to Britney I don't expect to get enlightened or expect any deep sh!t from her. I just like to dance. Same with Gaga I imagine.

Why are female artists so mean to each other. :unsure:

12. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

^because people blindly and ignorantly put gaga on this pedestal as if she's so original and she's that innovative. even she herself with her pretentious "art" attitude thinks she's doing something so revolutionary. sorry but she's not and i can understand why people want to put it out there like that. i mean grace is obviously somebody she tries to emulate.

and i think grace is in a position to critique anybody she wants to in my eyes because she is that influential. you hear any pop artist today-goldfrapp,lcd soundsystem,ladytron,hot chip,the shortwave set,santigold etc.-and most have and will acknowledge grace jones as an influence. the biggest difference i see however is that many of these artists truly know how to interpret that influence rather than directly trying to copy it.

and i wouldn't have such a problem with it myself if she would actually admit that she does take sounds from other artists. i've often said her music sounds nothing more than peaches and miss kittin.

#12 Scott, Apr 18, 2010
    Last edited by moderator cin: Apr 18, 2010
  13. Salvatore

Salvatore Wanderlust

Exactly everything you said !!

14. La bordélique

La bordélique earthbound

I LOVE YOU GRACE!

Totally agree with what Scott said.

'Dislike' is quite a strong word though... I'd say she only seems uninterested in such projects. I don't think that Lady Gaga is someone who would push her creativity, artistically or musically.

Anyway, Gaga's music to me sounds like 90s euro trash while Jones is timeless yet always avant garde.

15. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

^except for being pissed off about her ripping off her style :lol: certainly didn't seem like dislike but obviously she feels insulted by how she puts herself out there.

god bless grace :heart: still so one-of-a-kind....the imitators have nothing on her.

16. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

I'm not really familiar with Grace Jones as a person, how she is, etc, but this interview could not have been a bigger turn off.

She sounds bitter, jealous and very condescending. I like Gaga, I don't stan for her, but to accuse her of not being original is like WHAT? Who else in the mainstream music business is more original than Gaga? It was inevitable that a backlash against Gaga would start soon, but all these 'alternative' divas sound more jealous than anything that they haven't been able to break through into the mainstream with their styles and Gaga was.

17. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

I agree with Grace.

Grace had been rocking those styles for ages before Lady Gaga was born.

Grace was one of the few that could do androgyny as a model and still look good.

While I appreciate Lady Gaga's style, she should at least try to do some original things herself. Even if you are going to copy some one, you have to make it your own and put your own spin on it.

If you are going to borrow something, at least admit you are doing something based on that and not trying to pass it as your own.

18. CaitlinC

CaitlinC New Member

You don't know who Grace Jones is? She is one of the most innovative models ever. She was doing androgyny way before models started picking up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Jones

A picture: [​IMG]
    tumblr

19. MyNameIs

MyNameIs Well-Known Member

LOL, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I know who she is, seen her modeling pictures, etc. I just don't know that much about her as a person, what she's up to these days, etc.

20. Over the Sea

Over the Sea place your body here

I love Grace Jones :heart: all Lady Gaga does is copy people. there is a difference between being influenced by people and just regurgitating things that have already been done.