Grace Jones dislikes Lady Gaga

we have a thread on grace jones in the music section...
and i saw her in concert over the summer in NYC...
the place was packed...she is still a FORCE!!!...

sorry if you are missing the boat..
but you know...
some people like to buy copies...and some people like to have the real deal...
it is only possible for GAGA to exist because people like grace paved the way...

it's true---
you can claim to be original if your fan base is uninformed and doesn't know who you are stealing your ideas from...

but, still...gaga is entertaining...i have to give her that...
though she is better when she copies, imo...
when she tries to be original..it sort of looks like a really bad train wreck...
:ninja:...
plus- she does have a stylist, right??!!??...
people like madonna, cyndi lauper, and grace jones, not to mention debbie harry and chrissie hynde, were all just being themselves...
we could go on...janis joplin, stevie nicks...etc, etc...
all originals...and there really isn't anything like an original..
there just isn't...even if it's a really good copy...the original is inherently better...

i'm scared to know what her own fashion line would look like...
:shock:...
red lace unitard anyone???...
:yuk:...

Last edited by a moderator:
here's the link to the grace jones thread here...though it doesn't really do her justice...
http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f62/grace-jones-27091-4.html

and as for how grace is as a person...
we can only know what her public personae is...
but she is strong, defiant, brash, bold, unconventional, brave, and has a fantastic sense of humour...
and she is not afraid to say what is on her mind or to ruffle a few feathers...
she thinks it's funny to f*ck with people...to challenge convention and break the rules...
in order to create something new and exciting...

she is really an artist/performer, not just a pop singer...

This is so very interesting. Grace had met Gaga at a party that Mark Ronson hosted back in 09. As I recall Gaga said that Grace cut her foot and she offered to clean it and somewhere within that space of time Grace gave her the advice to 'never get rid of her creative people'. Now it seems as if Jones has changed her tune about Gaga.

In any event I find her comments to be rude. Gaga has praised Grace from the beginning and cited that she is a huge influence to her. Really what is an artist if they cannot inspire? Grace should be flattered that Gaga is helping to introduce her to those who may only remember her for her role in Boomerang. The ensembles however are where the comparisons end though and let us not pretend that others in the past were just as much if not more outlandish than Grace.

With or without the shoulder pads, masks et cetera Gaga is a true talent in every sense of the word. She has made pop music interesting again and has single handedly brought back the importance of the music video. Yes. She has taken bits from the past but she has made them all her own. Even more so she gives credit where it is due.

Grace should be flattered that Gaga is helping to introduce her to those who may only remember her for her role in Boomerang. The ensembles however are where the comparisons end though and let us not pretend that others in the past were just as much if not more outlandish than Grace.

With or without the shoulder pads, masks et cetera Gaga is a true talent in every sense of the word. She has made pop music interesting again and has single handedly brought back the importance of the music video. Yes. She has taken bits from the past but she has made them all her own. Even more so she gives credit where it is due.

It's nice that Gaga gives credit where it's due but I wouldn't say she's all that talented. I think she's OK singer, a very poor lyricist and her piano/keyboard playing is nothing wow.

She doesn't need to win Lady Gaga's fans, though... so Gaga's 'introducing' is really unnecessary. Anyone who enjoys Grace Jones as an artist should already realize that Gaga's music is just soulless pop.

It's nice that Gaga gives credit where it's due but I wouldn't say she's all that talented. I think she's OK singer, a very poor lyricist and her piano/keyboard playing is nothing wow.

She doesn't need to win Lady Gaga's fans, though... so Gaga's 'introducing' is really unnecessary. Anyone who enjoys Grace Jones as an artist should already realize that Gaga's music is just soulless pop.

Mmm Hmm...You think, I beg to differ.

Anyways, it's not about 'winning' Gaga's fans lets not be silly. Gaga has made mention to Grace from the start so whether it's necessary or not she is introducing Grace to a new wave of people.

I enjoy some of Grace's music and I also appreciate what Gaga does.

she has talent? to me,strip all of the clever attention tricks away,the unoriginal electro-clash/disco sound and she's just your average singer who would most likely be an afterthought. and just because she can play a piano....so do a million other musicians and again many are merely average and they still lack poetry. she is no tori amos or diamanda galas by any means.

as for grace jones and her style,i disagree that because there were crazier things going on in other artists that it takes away the notion she was truly original. on the contrary,with grace it was never merely a gimmick or stage production....everything she did then and does now extends to how she expresses herself as a whole. and as softie said,she created her style all on her own....never at the hands of an outside party. no offense to nicola formichetti but you can't be deemed original when your style is influenced by a professional. sorry.

lady gaga is only popular because her fan base is to young and un-educated to know about real innovators from decades past....it's only original if your fans dont know what your ripping from...

This generalisation is quite unnecessary and what you call un-educated :rolleyes:-_- :doh:

:lol: @ She has talent?

With that I am just beyond done. Yet my parting is from the woman who was dubbed 'The White Grace Jones'

GA GA GA GA GA

February 19th 2010

I have to say that I am completely entranced by Lady Ga Ga... She is completely off the scale on just about every level, and I’m just loving it!
She has the most ENORMOUS stamina and chutzpah, to carry off her massive persona...and I can tell you, that it takes f........g HOURS and a TEAM to make up and dress up on a daily incarnation like that!!!

She’s amazing...innovative..out of the box...and ground breaking at every level!

She has smashed the “cookie cutter” tedium, and brought it all into an entirely different level!

I saw her giving an interview with Cyndy Lauper on the subject of Women and Aids..performing live at the piano with Elton, and she’s all over You Tube in all kinds of colors, shapes and forms.

Wow!! She’s the real deal..love it love it!

Link: http://www.annielennox.com/

Annie >>>

Elton John and Annie Lennox seem to be in love with Lady Gaga. And Personally, I'll take a side of Elton and Annie over Grace any day.

But I love Grace Jones, and some outfits she has worn have been copied by Lady Gaga.

Grace Jones just came off as condescending and irritable, which is sad because I've seen her in interviews and have spoken in a more proper manner.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Love Annie Lennox!!!

Its nice to see someone appreciating new talent. Lady Gaga is different and SHE HAS ACKNOWLEDGED her influences. So I don't really get that critique that she is just copying people left and right.

It just seems like people who she has cited as influences are getting jealous that Lady Gaga is becoming such a pop icon and is making loads of $$$.

Please Grace Jones do not be mad at Gaga and her team for knowing the art of marketing.. do you think she should just stick to doing underground NY club scene?? We all want to make money and to do that you need great marketing. period. She knows how to sell herself, I don't get how that is a bad thing.

She isn't the most CREATIVE person on the planet and she isn't the most TALENTED person on the planet, but compared to what is on the charts today, she is at least entertaining and she knows how to put on a show.

Its refreshing to see a celeb not into we are all best friend BS. Gaga is the new pop sensation of the month, frontier for pseudo-electro (which is actually very Ibiza dance music circa mid to late 90's).

But the whole era will come to an end soon, music is every disposable these days : Used to be about the divas ( beyonce and Jlo) then the soul singers, (winehouse/adele/duffy); now pseudo electro (perry/gaga , kesha).

Gaga has a ridiculous amount of marketing oush and like MIA said, she probably employs 80 people .
She is part of a team that wants to make money, not a talented artist that JUST happens to be very succesfull

I don't hate her but I don't like her music and find her as original and talented as Britney.

I love lady gaga but when I first heard Alejandro I was like WTF Ace of Base!

What are you doing girl?????

Love her as a live performer, love the effort she goes through for her fans, love that she feeds/sponsors an artistic collective that just wants to brainstorm and make hot **** (haus of gaga). Some songs are str8 pop some songs tug at emotional heartstrings.

Only time will tell ultimately... but for now I'm reluctantly a little monster :smile:

Grace Jones can say whatever the Eff she wants.
How come noone made a thread saying MIA was hating on gaga too? She said some funny stuff a lot of which i nodded my head to.

Well MIA has no business talking about Gaga anyways since half the things she said about Gaga were completely hypocritical to what she does herself.

And MIA herself just copies underground London artists.

Plus, where have she been these days? When MIA gave her interview it just seemed desperate.

Well MIA has no business talking about Gaga anyways since half the things she said about Gaga were completely hypocritical to what she does herself.

And MIA herself just copies underground London artists.

Plus, where have she been these days? When MIA gave her interview it just seemed desperate.

I think M.I.A.'s busier since she had a child.

I don't listen to Gaga. But the fact that all these female artists have come out and trashed her is making me defend her a bit. I am going to start listening to her. No. But these female artists are looking real jealous, mean, bully, insecure haters.

Keep doing what your doing. Keep on.

i hardly think grace is jealous or insecure.

Keep doing what your doing. Keep on.
I have to agree with that.

What perplexes me is how every time some flavor of the year comes out, such important icons feel like getting involved in rumors and he said she said kind of entertainment, of course Grace isn't the only person to do that, I can think of Faye Dunaway recently and other similar cases.. it's just weird to think that after such cult-like resumé accumulated, they still think it's necessary to drag themselves down and elaborate on people that will eventually be forgotten, and of course I know it's inevitable to be protective of your own legacy and clear up the air when others are blatantly owning up to what YOU brought years ago with more effort and defiance.. but I wish they knew the icons and true creators of our time are not in the charts believe it or not, they're not even in the Disney channel despite what Rolling Stone might be saying, so really, why not remain indifferent to them and their success? :unsure:.. even I wouldn't bother to comment on Gaga, I see her for what she is, a singer with some decent marketing strategies, nice songs to dance to and millions of underage fans and.. bring me the next one when I'm bored, it's not like I haven't seen plenty of them already and I'm not even 25.. so yeah, making a big deal out of someone that's clearly skyrocketed thanks to hormonal rushes of fans is pretty much a waste of breath. Just relax and.. uhh.. keep on rocking.. :magic:

I have to agree with that.

What perplexes me is how every time some flavor of the year comes out, such important icons feel like getting involved in rumors and he said she said kind of entertainment, of course Grace isn't the only person to do that, I can think of Faye Dunaway recently and other similar cases.. it's just weird to think that after such cult-like resumé accumulated, they still think it's necessary to drag themselves down and elaborate on people that will eventually be forgotten, and of course I know it's inevitable to be protective of your own legacy and clear up the air when others are blatantly owning up to what YOU brought years ago with more effort and defiance.. but I wish they knew the icons and true creators of our time are not in the charts believe it or not, they're not even in the Disney channel despite what Rolling Stone might be saying, so really, why not remain indifferent to them and their success? :unsure:.. even I wouldn't bother to comment on Gaga, I see her for what she is, a singer with some decent marketing strategies, nice songs to dance to and millions of underage fans and.. bring me the next one when I'm bored, it's not like I haven't seen plenty of them already and I'm not even 25.. so yeah, making a big deal out of someone that's clearly skyrocketed thanks to hormonal rushes of fans is pretty much a waste of breath. Just relax and.. uhh.. keep on rocking.. :magic:

Yeah, and let's not forget that Grace Jones also had her fair share of criticism when she was working. Not everyone was amused by her "uniqueness". And frankly, people thought she was downright ugly and talentless in the singing department. But because she's old now and has garnered seniority people have warmed up to her and are now aiming their criticism towards the next hot thing and don't mind praising Grace Jones for whatever reason in order to prove their dislike for Lady Gaga.

Same for every other artist who people try to compare Lady Gaga to who are no where to be seen on the charts lately.

And to be honest, Grace Jones isn't that great of a singer. Her singing opera with Pavarotti (RIP) makes me cringe and made me wish they had an actual soprano sing with him. So I don't even know what "talent" she possesses except for being "different" and being able to produce breath taking photos.

^ I don't think people criticise Lady Gaga just because she's in the charts or they are not, and I don't think people respect Grace Jones just because she's "old", that's kind of off-base I gotta say.
Pavarotti was a tenor. extreme training. you cannot compare any modern singer with the way trenors are.. trained. That's like thinking Bob Dylan is devoid of any talent because he will never be able to hold a note the way Pavarotti did. Completely different outlets of music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->