Grace Kelly

look2.jpg

lookinside.jpg

ebay

Eee more wonderful photos, thanks so much scriptgirl :flower: #652 is my new favorite.

I have always though she was sorry and somewhat unhappy with her Princess role...:cry:
Same, I've always felt that she mainly did it to please her family. She was so confined after she got married - Monaco wouldn't let her make any more movies, for starters! You'd think they'd treat their own princess better, especially since she brought so much attention and respectability to the country... :doh:

Not sure that I buy the argument that Grace was a great or even really good actress. I have seen all of her flicks but "Green Fire" and "The Swan" and to me, she didn't show a lot of range. Someone once said that Grace was not an actress, but a type and I agree with that. In "Bridges of Toko-Ri", she had a thankless part as a put upon wife, Katy Jurado blew her off the screen in "High Noon", she did do well in "Mogambo", much better than Mary Astor, who played her part in "Red Dust"-"Mogambo was the remake of that film. I found it unbelievable that Grace was this dowdy wife in "Country Girl", but I liked the authority she had in "High Society", even if I disliked the film. Grace's best pics were the Hitchcock ones, even if I didn't completely buy her in "Rear Window." I worship Kim Novak in "Vertigo" but I would have loved to have seen what Grace did with that part and I would have loved to see her in Janet Leigh's part in "Psycho".
Amana

My English prof told my class that "Vertigo" was metaphorically the film reenactment of Hitchcock's breakdown after losing Grace Kelly as a muse. He elevated her into a status higher than other women. I mean in the last film they did, "To Catch a Thief" her role was sort of making fun of her 'type.' "We're just regular people with bank accounts." Vertigo takes that reexamination to a fuller extent, when spoilers, the story reveals that femininity, like the one that Grace had (not saying she's a phony), is not natural but performed. Even if it is unconscious it's still a socialized performance.

Sorry for the random tangents.

^^ very interesting, i too took a course entitled Alfred Hitchcock, probably my favorite. Thanks for that view. I agree with it!

kochie-- do you think it was made for her by wardrobe.. but maybe not i am geting a tiffanys vibe from it.. what do you think?

ya I am not really getting a tiffanys vibe from it. its a possibility that it was made just for her and the movie. i can do some digging around to find out :D

and thanks for the karma :flower:

I was looking through some Pictures and The resemblance Between Grace and Her Granddaughter Camille is amazing they look so much alike blond hair ,blue eyes, shape of the face .

Same, I've always felt that she mainly did it to please her family. She was so confined after she got married - Monaco wouldn't let her make any more movies, for starters! You'd think they'd treat their own princess better, especially since she brought so much attention and respectability to the country... :doh:

There was big pressure on both of them to marry- although I'm sure the powers in Hollywood were horrified by her quitting the movie business!!
And I was surprised to hear that the people in Monaco weren't really crazy about her at first- she was an outsider, an American :rolleyes: and barely even spoke French- even the Palace staff was against her...That was shocking to me- I always thought they adored her. :(

I was looking through some Pictures and The resemblance Between Grace and Her Granddaughter Camille is amazing they look so much alike blond hair ,blue eyes, shape of the face .
Camille looks a lot like Grace. She's adorable now and is going to be so beautiful when she grows up.

Grace Kelly had the beauty and allure of the quintessential princess of fairy tales, and of the French novels of the 17th, 18th century, 19th century with Alexandre Dumas, even 20th with Proust, and there seems to be something almost predetermined in her fate, as exemplified by the blending of fantasy and reality to be, in her last role (I think) The Swan, a real swan's song, too, if not in quality, in destiny. But it's almost as if the fairies, while bestowing their gifts had given her a curse too, for by becoming the real incarnation of the perfect princess, she lost her ability (by decree, as it were) to act, similar to the fate of the Little Mermaid, too.

Without plunging into psychoanalytical hogwash, was she subconsciously pressured by her perfect, to this day unequaled beauty, to incarnate, act out our collective dreams of finally being able to pin a real person on our fantasies of the perfect princess ? For more so than Diana, as in the pre-feminist analyses of fairy tales which tended to laud the young girls' fate or choices as the "mature" ones, she endorsed her role, and lived with dignity and honor ever after (while losing certainly part of her soul, in the sense of what one was born to be, and give).

^^ All very true- and don't forget the serious father complex...Typical of an emotionally abusive childhood I suppose... :(

My English prof told my class that "Vertigo" was metaphorically the film reenactment of Hitchcock's breakdown after losing Grace Kelly as a muse. He elevated her into a status higher than other women. I mean in the last film they did, "To Catch a Thief" her role was sort of making fun of her 'type.' "We're just regular people with bank accounts." Vertigo takes that reexamination to a fuller extent, when spoilers, the story reveals that femininity, like the one that Grace had (not saying she's a phony), is not natural but performed. Even if it is unconscious it's still a socialized performance.

That's a real interesting observation on your English prof's part. I wish I knew whether he thought it up himself or read it somewhere, and where.

On a totally different note, don't you dislike the turbans she took to wearing regularly on semi-official or official occasions ? I think she didn't like the way her thinning hair looked, but it emphasized how round and puffy her face had become : not a good choice.

I also read that she thought it important to always look taller than the other ladies present, hence the tall chignons and flashy hats. What a shame. She didn't need to do that to be the most handsome, even with Jackie Kennedy.

On a totally different note, don't you dislike the turbans she took to wearing regularly on semi-official or official occasions ? I think she didn't like the way her thinning hair looked, but it emphasized how round and puffy her face had become : not a good choice.

I also read that she thought it important to always look taller than the other ladies present, hence the tall chignons and flashy hats. What a shame. She didn't need to do that to be the most handsome, even with Jackie Kennedy.

I had never heard about how she liked to look taller. Thats very interesting. I knew she liked to wear hats but didnt know that that was the reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->