Hedi Slimane - Designer

Hedi at Chanel? LOL

so i also get Lanvin and Dior are expected to announce their new creative directors soon?

I can't imagine Hedi at Chanel.
Sincerely i like what he does and i like 90% of his SL collections , not all pieces but there are a lot of pieces which are really wearable and good looking.
But Chanel is not his at all.
Dior , why not , it could be interesting.
In one week the Fashion weeks , want to see which Kind of r-t-w will send Dior on the runway, same Lanvin and of course, the most interesting could -can be Balenciaga by Demna Gvasalia. Till no i didn't see and didn't read any posting from him about his first ,f/w 16-17, Balenciaga collection. There are no Pictures on his instagram and same on Facebook. Nothing about his debut....:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but Hedi has become a one trick pony who often blatantly copies vintage clothing, he does not belong at either Dior nor Chanel. Maybe his menswear is good but that's about it

Hedi at Chanel feels more like a fantasy than something that could happen. Those stories about Karl's retirement are always ridiculous as he said many times that he has a lifetime contract. And it's always funny that people expect from him to leave Chanel before Fendi...

I really don't believe that he will leave Saint Laurent as they did their best to do whatever he wanted.
And Hedi at Chanel? From L.A.? Non-sense!

Hedi going Chanel or not, fact remains Karl is old and will have to retire, and it may be good that he co-works with his successor whilst at Chanel.
And Chanel can't just take anybody or a 'talented new comer' or 'relatively unknown fresh face' like what Hermes can do with Christophe Lemaire, and it certainly cannot go into the musical chair mode like Dior, so what's the next best plan?
Looking at all the established designers out there, Hedi does seem to be the most qualified, at least he could do good for sales. Him adjusting to the likings of Chanel customers or not I am not so sure though since he seems to have a very defined way of doing things on his own.
And then there is the love triangle between him and Pierre Berge and Lagerfeld.
I don't know if the recent departure of the American CEO at Chanel says anything about the family's directions that controls the company...
All said, I rather like the idea of him moving to Chanel than say Dior, for lateral movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG, I can just see it now ... Hedi taking Chanel down to a single C--Helvetica of course :rofl:

Hedi going Chanel or not, fact remains Karl is old and will have to retire, and it may be good that he co-works with his successor whilst at Chanel.
And Chanel can't just take anybody or a 'talented new comer' or 'relatively unknown fresh face' like what Hermes can do with Christophe Lemaire, and it certainly cannot go into the musical chair mode like Dior, so what's the next best plan?
Looking at all the established designers out there, Hedi does seem to be the most qualified, at least he could do good for sales. Him adjusting to the likings of Chanel customers or not I am not so sure though since he seems to have a very defined way of doing things on his own.
I don't know if the recent departure of the American CEO at Chanel says anything about the family's directions that controls the company...
All said, I rather like the idea of him moving to Chanel than say Dior, for lateral movement.

Sure,Karl is old but i can't imagine him retire from Chanel. His collections are still at the top and how many collection he does every season inclusive Fendi
About Fendi, if i don't mistake, Fendi didn't shown any haute couture collection in January, did they?

Hedi at Chanel, i hope it's never happen, i don't see Slimane also in the role oof co-designer at Chanel.

Maybe SL wants simply start again with Haute Couture? And Hedi has no intention to leave SL?

Can imagine him working for Dior, why not? Dior's Couture collection was terrible. I want see which kind of r-t-w collection they did :blink:

Karl will retire like Gabrielle Chanel. Why co-work with his successor when he is still able to do it by himself. Chanel is the most successful fashion house ever and no matter the comments, 34 years after he is still doing the job.

I hope that the Weirthemer will hire Nicolas Ghesquiere.
Hedi is a good stylist but a weak womenswear designer. He still have to prove himself as a womenswear designer.

About Fendi, if i don't mistake, Fendi didn't shown any haute couture collection in January, did they?

It was just a special "celebration" collection for Karl's 50th at the house.

Truth be told I could envision Hedi at Chanel, as an inevitability rather than an immediate thing. At the end of the day his strengths as a designer -- line, proportion, cut...tailoring in a nutshell -- as well as his strengths as an image maker -- directness, conviction, an ability to create a fully realized "universe" -- are the fundamentals of the house of Chanel as laid down by Coco herself. Her most lasting designs were her simplest, and her daring/inventive moments had more to do with her sensibility and ability to buck the rules than they did from some otherworldly realm of artistic creativity. Same with Hedi.

Then there's the fact that he shares with Karl a certain gutsy irreverence. Neither of them have ever been overly reverential with the archives of the houses they've each worked in. There's an awareness and I suspect a certain admiration (even if its not apparent on the surface) for them shown by each, but they're not particularly respectful about the way they interpret them. I mean Karl has sent biker jackets, hip hop-inspired jewelry, micro minis and bikini tops made of pasties down his Chanel runways, which had less to do with the house's heritage than they did the times he was designing for, and in some cases actively bucked the very things Coco herself stood for (unimpeachable elegance, wearer-friendliness, simplicity). That's only a hop skip and a jump from the sort of stuff Slimane has been doing at Saint Laurent -- beautifully made takes on basic pieces with a sense of flashy youthfulness built in for flavor/shock value.

I for one would be terribly curious to see what he could and would do with the Chanel jacket if nothing else.

Those horrible pink leggings with holes a few seasons back were indeed quite close to Hedi territory. I still think though that he doesn't have the basic skills to take on any major womenswear position.

Chanel I'm sure has a number of older customers, and I'm wondering if Hedi could appeal to them. Because while Karl has indeed subverted the legacy, he hasn't done so to the point of leaving the traditional customer without anything to buy ... he does both.

I for one would be terribly curious to see what he could and would do with the Chanel jacket if nothing else.

Do you remember that cadet jacket from Dior Homme that was like a Holy Grail to many at the time…? It was very Chanel.

I do hope he takes over Chanel... someday.

Truth be told I could envision Hedi at Chanel, as an inevitability rather than an immediate thing. At the end of the day his strengths as a designer -- line, proportion, cut...tailoring in a nutshell -- as well as his strengths as an image maker -- directness, conviction, an ability to create a fully realized "universe" -- are the fundamentals of the house of Chanel as laid down by Coco herself. Her most lasting designs were her simplest, and her daring/inventive moments had more to do with her sensibility and ability to buck the rules than they did from some otherworldly realm of artistic creativity. Same with Hedi.

Then there's the fact that he shares with Karl a certain gutsy irreverence. Neither of them have ever been overly reverential with the archives of the houses they've each worked in. There's an awareness and I suspect a certain admiration (even if its not apparent on the surface) for them shown by each, but they're not particularly respectful about the way they interpret them. I mean Karl has sent biker jackets, hip hop-inspired jewelry, micro minis and bikini tops made of pasties down his Chanel runways, which had less to do with the house's heritage than they did the times he was designing for, and in some cases actively bucked the very things Coco herself stood for (unimpeachable elegance, wearer-friendliness, simplicity). That's only a hop skip and a jump from the sort of stuff Slimane has been doing at Saint Laurent -- beautifully made takes on basic pieces with a sense of flashy youthfulness built in for flavor/shock value.

Nailed it. I can't give you Karma but You sum up perfectly my thoughts

Those horrible pink leggings with holes a few seasons back were indeed quite close to Hedi territory. I still think though that he doesn't have the basic skills to take on any major womenswear position.

Chanel I'm sure has a number of older customers, and I'm wondering if Hedi could appeal to them. Because while Karl has indeed subverted the legacy, he hasn't done so to the point of leaving the traditional customer without anything to buy ... he does both.

THIS! Seriously, Hedi Slimane doing womenswear was a fantasy when he was at Dior Homme. His fall 2006 collection was so chic and his Dior Homme was very close in terms of aesthetic with Chanel at the time: Rock, indie, Raw, Black & White.

But his take on Saint Laurent was a disaster. I don't want the biggest fashion house in the world to end up like this.

One thing about Lagerfeld at Chanel, when he took Chanel, he did had a very classic approach to it. It was modern, different from Mademoiselle (she never did a wedding dress) but kinda ladylike. I remember a french documentary where they talked about his various gimmicks (the bag chain skirt, the hip hop collection, the biker rock collection, the Chanel wonderbras...etc) and clients were saying that they liked that he was doing because he played with the codes with humor.

I think Hedi's fashion lacks humor. Karl can sell any tacky thing because he has humor and because it is back up with great quality.
Karl's fashion has never felt out of touch with reality.

It's funny that we are talking about Hedi doing Chanel when we don't know anything about the rumours. Why would he leave Saint Laurent in the first place?
The interview he did with Joe Zee showed a total commitment from him. Why would he leave a position that allows him to do whatever he wants?

PS: for Chanel, i'll always be team Nicolas Ghesquiere...for ever!

I still think though that he doesn't have the basic skills to take on any major womenswear position.
So true! I can't take his womenswear seriously because it isn't designed by him but just reproduced vintage clothes.

Hedi is a master at Marketing but has no scope as a designer- he takes what he knows is perceived as 'cool'- RocknRoll, black -and -white imagery, wasted-looking models and uses it in a luxury context, and has done so wherever he has worked . It's an amazing feat but also a dead end street because he doesn't have intuition as a designer he will only ever be able to repeat what he does now. It'll be interesting to see what happens when the wind turns - it will eventually, it always does

So true! I can't take his womenswear seriously because it isn't designed by him but just reproduced vintage clothes.
But what you're describing doesn't actually have anything to do with the "basic skills of designing womenswear". You're talking about design as creativity or vision rather than design as the fundamentals of dressmaking and tailoring.

I’ve never liked Karl’s designs— not even when I was seven and looking at fashion; I was instinctively attracted to Viv, Gaultier, Montana, Comme, Yohji… Never Karl.

But, I can understand how untouchable Chanel is. How incomparable the craftsmanship and quality are. And it’s Chanel. And I think Hedi is ripe for this label. His sharp tailoring and design aesthetic back in his YSL Men and Dior Homme days were immaculately-executed and his branding was untouchable then. The man was visionary with these two labels. If he chooses to bring that brand of graphic sharpness back and not the indie-kids on a musical journey through the decades he’s doing at SL, I want to see him at Chanel.

Do you remember that cadet jacket from Dior Homme that was like a Holy Grail to many at the time…? It was very Chanel.

I do hope he takes over Chanel... someday.
You know, I can kind of picture the jacket you're talking about actually. Circa about 03/04?

All the speculating aside, I rather hope these rumors turn out to be just that. I've come to accept what he's doing at Saint Laurent, my expectations of him have changed, and as a result I've come around on liking it as a whole as opposed to just liking certain pieces in a given collection.

Plus, and it's a big plus, there needs to be SOME semblance of stability and consistency somewhere in this god awful fashion apocalypse we're currently witnessing.

This beauty from that darkly rich and sly A/W 2006-2007 collection, Spike:

00130m.0.jpg

blogger.com

^ It definitely references Chanel, but it's far more tailored. It's padded a la traditional suiting in a Chanel shape. To my mind, anyway, sharp tailoring is antithetical to Chanel, where everything is soft and unstructured. Whereas YSL always had a tailored component thanks to Le Smoking--as well as so much more.

This beauty from that darkly rich and sly A/W 2006-2007 collection, Spike:

blogger.com
Ugh, such a good collection, and a great example of what could be done in his hands if Uncle Karl decided to pass things on to his favorite nephew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->