Hedi Slimane - Designer

On closer examination (just for fun) there are even some clues as to what an Hedi for Chanel jacket could look like in his recent Saint Laurent stuff.

Take away the styling tricks and both of those could work on a multitude of ages and looks in a number of different settings. The copper beaded one especially basically IS a Chanel jacket for all intents and purposes.
_ON_0965.1366x2048.JPG

BY8P0100.1366x2048.JPG
style.com

YSL himself did a Chanel collection, so he could be referencing that.

Hedi at Chanel is a nonsense. No star designer working atm will be designing for Chanel I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ It would certainly surprise me if that were true. Karl's quite old, and I strongly suspect that like all the rest of us, he's not immortal. I don't know when the reins with change hands, but I would think within the next 10 years would be quite likely. They're not going to hire someone out of Central St Martins.

We can have that fantasy about Hedi doing Chanel as we had when he was announced for the YSL job. We had the same fantasy about Galliano doing Margiela because of the glorious things he did in the past. The same for Tom Ford...I expected from him to comeback to fashion with a black & white collection similar to what he did for his first show for YSL. But it wasn't the case.

But truth to be told, it will never be as great as it was. Hedi from 2006 was great, fresh totally different of today. We can't expect any greatness from him anymore. His womenswear is kinda limited (even if i own one dress from his Saint Laurent).

That fall 2006 collection was beyond great. It was before L.A....

Yes Creative, YSL did Chanel collections and funny enough, Kitty D'Alessio (who was instrumentalin hiring Karl) said that she hired Karl because he was the only one who didn't copy Chanel at the time. YSL was jealous because he saw himself as his heir.

If Karl choose his successor, i think he will do an unexpected choice. Maybe a french designer or a woman. Someone who knows the Art and the hierarchy in Couture and above all, someone who is ready to support 6 runway shows/year.

^^^ Your passion for design is infectious Lola, so I always look forward to your posts, but I'm going to disagree with you about Hedi. I think he could potentially do wonders for this house with the support of the magnificent team.

On closer examination (just for fun) there are even some clues as to what an Hedi for Chanel jacket could look like in his recent Saint Laurent stuff.

Take away the styling tricks and both of those could work on a multitude of ages and looks in a number of different settings. The copper beaded one especially basically IS a Chanel jacket for all intents and purposes.

I couldn’t see the pieces you were referring to Spike, until I logged in— but I knew it was the copper pailette embellished piece you had in mind… Hedi’s eye is razor-sharp and think it’s high-time Chanel is afforded that direction. And it’s about time there’s a Chanel Men. I know there is, sort of… But, have y’all seen how horrible it is? They’re the equivalent of a Payless Shoe size 13 stiletto for drag queens— just a granny Chanel jacket cut for men. Hedi can effortlessly bring that Midas Touch to Chanel Men. I do agree it’ll be much harder for him to conquer Chanel for women. Chanel and Karl are so a part of one another and an intrinsic part of the fashionscape, it won’t be an easy reign to take over.

I also would be curious and interested in Hedi for Chanel.

I can imagine it having some sort of feeling that Chanel had around 2006. That skinny, mod-y, Irina Lazareanu era...which has always been my favorite era for Karl. In retrospect, that time period for the house was very Slimanesque...which is maybe not coincidence, since that was the height of Hedi's Dior Homme, which we all know how much of a fan Karl was....

I also would be curious and interested in Hedi for Chanel.

I can imagine it having some sort of feeling that Chanel had around 2006. That skinny, mod-y, Irina Lazareanu era...which has always been my favorite era for Karl. In retrospect, that time period for the house was very Slimanesque...which is maybe not coincidence, since that was the height of Hedi's Dior Homme, which we all know how much of a fan Karl was....

I totally get this comparison. The moody, 60's inspired Lolita, and that graphic sharpness Phuel said (just for fun too:(

vogue.com

^ FW 2014 is still my favorite Hedi for Saint Laurent collection.

Chanel is one of the most tightly controlled brands in fashion today; the are one of the few brands who retain control of ALL aspects of operation, from packaging, pricing,cosmetics & fragrances, sales associates, concessions.... This has Hedi all over it. He's notorious for his "all or nothing" attitude when it comes to creative direction. Really, I could see many other designers being great producing collections Chanel, but only Hedi could fill the spot in terms of the scope of how demanding the role of creative director (or whatever Karl's title is) at Chanel. And if you watch any of the current documentaries regarding production on the Chanel Couture collections, Karl has very little involved in the production aside from a few sketches and edits to samples. The Chanel team is so automated they could operate without a creative director and still knock out collections for a decade.

Few designers aside from Hedi would be concerned over packaging on cosmetics, the showmanship, set design, the flooring in the fitting rooms.. and that's aside from designing the actual collections.

I hope this happens but in a few years time. I'd love to see a true Chanel for Men, especially from Hedi Slimane.

Karl is still a great and smart designer. I think Hedi really lacks in that area. I'm not sure he has the skill for Chanel. I don't see it.

I don't see Hedi as a good women's wear designer , maybe he was a good designer at some point but now he's stuck in the same idea and often blatantly copies old looks of old icons, I just don't see him at a place like chanel

Even those looks posted don't look too chanel to me, they look nice but very basic.

I don't see Hedi as a good women's wear designer , maybe he was a good designer at some point but now he's stuck in the same idea and often blatantly copies old looks of old icons, I just don't see him at a place like chanel

Even those looks posted don't look too chanel to me, they look nice but very basic.

I don't think it's something you can lose :wink: He does have his strengths, but he doesn't seem to be able to build on them. Could it be because he's convinced he's perfect as he is?

I don't think it's something you can lose :wink: He does have his strengths, but he doesn't seem to be able to build on them. Could it be because he's convinced he's perfect as he is?

He's stuck in a rut where he's so obsessed with youth culture and skid row that he's making terrible stuff. Maybe he's having a mid life crisis who knows. Personally I think he's too minimal for Chanel, and I can't forgive him for the several times he copied certain vintage looks exactly. I think he had good menswear but I never thought he was that good or groundbreaking at women's wear. The women swear he's churned out so far looks mostly like zara

I suppose for Chanel men he'd be good, he could bring out masculinity in tweed jackets and do well with the achromatic palate, he'd certainly do better than karl at chanel men

If Chanel wants to build a menswear category (and even a jeans/denim category), then Hedi is indeed an interesting hypothetical choice for the brand. But other than that...I don't think Hedi would want anything to do with it.

I don't see them allowing someone complete, 360-degree control of the brand. Sure, Karl gets to design the collections and "photograph" the campaigns, but the fragrance and makeup? It's a completely different part of the business that he is not privy to. And Hedi would know doubt roll his eyes at all of the various cheesy perfume and makeup ads that he would have to be tangentially related to, but have little to no input in.

Hedi's setup at Saint Laurent is something he'll probably never be ever to get at another major fashion house, and he knows that. Plus, the output that's demanded of Chanel really is something else. In addition to all the collections, there will probably always be major public/press commitments for the creative director of that brand. Hedi would not get to be his elusive, L.A.-dwelling self.

^^^ The standards of the industry, even one as rarified as high fashion, doesn’t apply to Chanel, Karl and even Hedi quite the same way as it may apply to most everyone else, I think. They are the exception to the rules: Chanel will always remain as this constant symbol of the rich and fabulous lifestyle afforded to the few, until the end of the world. I mean, I can see Chanel going about business as usual in a future dystopian world when all high fashion becomes obsolete.

Karl is immune to criticism and the constraints of other designers; the in-house team are so fine-tuned to the label’s vision that they effortlessly turn Karl’s chicken-scratches into these achingly luxurious, impeccably-constructed jewels like clockwork. And Hedi’s place in fashiondom is equivalent to the Goose that lays the Golden Egg: His takeover, and likely makeover of the fabled label will once again, likely send profits soaring— even despite the much anticipated criticism of him contributing nothing new. Chanel has never been profound or deep, and Hedi may just give it that dark/ indie edge that Karl’s never been able to give to the house, and that the clientele— mother and daughter, and grandmother, may very likely be attracted to. Hedi will have something for all three generations of clientele.

A designer like Karl hardly does much of the heavy lifting when it comes to the 6 collections the house churns out annually. His contributions are mostly to the main collections, but even there, I’m certain the in-house team does all the heavylifiting. They’ll certainly afford Hedi the same treatment.

The cosmetic side of Chanel sells itself and Hedi could just act as a consultant. That would hardly take up much of his time away from his LA indie music festival-hopping commitments with the kids.

Don't you think YSL has a competent atelier? He seems to be overriding them. Whether he is willing to accept the help of competent people is an open question in my mind anyway.

You're talking about Hedi at Chanel as though he's already been hired ... let's see if they don't have more common sense first.

^^^ I have no idea about the YSL team, fashionista...

It’s really just wishful thinking on my part that Hedi is at Chanel. From a doc about HC, I definitely got the impression that the Chanel inhouse team is one of the strongest in the industry: Karl would sketch some horrid design in 2 seconds, then hand it over to the team and they actually spin pure gold from his straw.

I can't imagine Hedi making Chanel.
I started to like his SL but his collections are repetitive.
Sincerely, Hedi and 3 generations - daughter, mother and grandmom-wearing his Chanel is utopia.

Same Vaccarello, too expensive and nothing really good. I can't imagine Vaccarello in the role of creative director of Versace.

Source : WWD.com

January 13, 2016

Hedi Exiting YSL? Vaccarello Said in Wings

By Miles Socha

LONDON —* Speculation is mounting that Hedi Slimane may be poised to make his second exit from Yves Saint Laurent.

According to sources, the designer has so far failed to reach an agreement on the renewal of his initial contract with the Kering-owned fashion house and is preparing to part ways with a brand he revved up with his rock ‘n’ roll-inspired fashions and a top-to-bottom reform of the storied house.

What’s more, Saint Laurent is said to have identified a frontrunner to succeed Slimane and has held extensive talks with Anthony Vaccarello, a Belgian designer partial to the racy, fast-paced side of fashion, having been recruited by Donatella Versace for her reboot of the Versus brand. He was named its creative director last September.

Reached for comment, a Saint Laurent spokeswoman said the house “does not comment on rumors.”

Vaccarello could not immediately be reached for comment.

SLIDESHOW: A Look at Anthony Vaccarello’s Past Collections >>

The possibility of a Slimane exit and designer change adds an extra dash of intrigue to the fall 2016 fashion show season.

Late on Tuesday via Twitter, YSL announced that Slimane would show his men’s collection, and the first part of his women’s range, on Feb. 10 in Los Angeles as part of a “Saint Laurent at the Palladium” event. The men’s show had been scheduled for Jan. 24 at the tail end of men’s fashion week in Paris, and is typically a megaproduction akin to a rock concert, complete with a front row packed with musicians and Slimane groupies.

Saint Laurent recently cancelled its usual venue, the Carreau du Temple, which Slimane had secured for a multiseason exclusive after the Marais location underwent an extensive renovation.

In a release, Saint Laurent described the event as a tribute to the music scene in L.A., Slimane’s home since 2008. It also coincides with 10 years of the designer’s photo blog, “Hedi Slimane’s Diary,” which has frequently documented the California scene.

“Part 2” of the Saint Laurent women’s collection is to be presented in Paris on March 7.

Should it come to pass, a Slimane exit would deliver another shock to the French fashion scene, wracked late last year by the exit of Raf Simons from Dior and the ousting of Alber Elbaz from Lanvin. Successors for those two houses have yet to be named.

Those dramatic changes seem to signal a seismic shift in the fashion industry, as star designers buckle under the pressures *and/or restrictions of an accelerating and high-stakes industry.

Slimane, who ushered in more than a decade of skinny tailoring with his overhaul of Dior Homme, exited that brand in 2007 and pursued a photography and art career before returning to the fashion fold in 2012 at the creative helm of YSL, which he rechristened Saint Laurent to return to the initial impulses in the Sixties that drove the late, legendary couturier to introduce ready-to-wear.

From his home base in Los Angeles, Slimane overhauled the house with a new collection architecture and graphic identity; a widely copied store concept involving acres of veiny marble and gleaming shelves; and influential, mostly black-and-white campaigns lensed by the designer himself featuring a cast of music personalities and edgy models.

While he received some barbs from critics for repetitive collections inspired by grunge and other music subcultures, Saint Laurent under Slimane charted rapid growth, outpacing most other designer brands as the luxury sector entered a period of more moderate expansion.

In the third quarter, revenues at Saint Laurent vaulted by 26.6 percent on a comparable basis to 243.4 million euros, or $270.8 million. Retail sales were up 32 percent in the quarter, with even Mainland China recording a sharp increase, a testament to ongoing customer demand for the brand’s $5,000 biker jackets and $2,000 leather satchels.

By contrast, organic sales at Gucci, which accounts for more than a third of total revenues at Kering, fell 0.4 percent during the three-month period while revenues at Bottega Veneta were up 4.3 percent on a comparable basis.

Reflecting the increasing role of Saint Laurent and Bottega Veneta in the group’s growth, Kering appointed Saint Laurent ceo Francesca Bellettini and Bottega Veneta ceo Carlo Alberto Beretta as new members of its executive committee. Kering is scheduled to report fourth-quarter and full-year results on Feb. 19.

Saint Laurent revealed in March 2012 that Slimane would rejoin the house as its creative director, a dozen years after he exited YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme to heat up Dior Homme. At that time, Elbaz helmed YSL Rive Gauche for women in the wake of the founder’s retirement from rtw.

Slimane was granted total creative responsibility for the brand image and all its collections, succeeding Stefano Pilati after a fruitful, if turbulent, eight-year tenure for the Italian designer, who would go on to join Ermenegildo Zegna.

SLIDESHOW: A Look at Hedi Slimane’s Saint Laurent Collections >>

“As one of the most important French fashion houses, Yves Saint Laurent today possesses formidable potential, which I am confident will be successfully harnessed and revealed through the vision of Hedi Slimane,” François-Henri Pinault, chairman and chief executive officer of YSL parent Kering, stated at the time of the appointment.

Slimane’s return to the fashion spotlight — and foray into women’s wear — generated much excitement in the French capital, especially as Raf Simons, another men’s wear power player and proponent of minimalism, was shortly after named the couturier at Dior, succeeding John Galliano.

An art history graduate from the Ecole du Louvre, Slimane emerged from fashion’s shadows during his first stint at YSL. Hired as an assistant in fashion marketing at YSL in 1997 and then quickly promoted to designer, Slimane successfully revved up the label’s Rive Gauche Homme collection with sleek, androgynous tailoring: leather trenchcoats, pinch-waist suits and plunging shirts. He was a pioneer in inviting contemporary artists like Ugo Rondinone to put works in YSL stores, positing his clothes in a broader cultural context.

Slimane resigned from YSL in 2000 to pursue exclusive negotiations with its parent, then known as Gucci Group, for the launch of his own label. He ended up signing on with luxury rival Dior, embarking on an ambitious project that electrified men’s wear with his glitzy fashion shows and minimalist boutiques.

Slimane has been floated as a possible successor to Simons at Dior, although sources close to the house describe such an appointment as unlikely, given his penchant for demanding a wide creative birth. At present, Dior has Kris Van Assche designing men’s wear, Victoire de Castellane in charge of high jewelry, Peter Marino masterminding the store architecture — and a host of famous ambassadors, including Jennifer Lawrence and Marion Cotillard.

Slimane is said to covet control over YSL’s beauty business, but he does not hold any sway with the operation, controlled by L’Oréal, which acquired the business in 2008. As a result, he has distanced himself from its products and marketing messages.

Born in Brussels, Vaccarello studied sculpture at La Cambre, and came onto the international fashion radar in 2006 when he won first place at the Hyères International Festival of Fashion and Photography for his collection inspired by Italian p*rn star La Cicciolina.

He subsequently went on to work at Fendi and in 2009 launched his namesake collection in Paris, where he continues to show. Two years later, he scooped the ANDAM fashion award.

Impressed by his provocatively sexy and audacious styles, Donatella Versace in 2013 tapped him as a guest designer for her revamped Versus brand. Last September, she named him the creative director of Versus, putting him in charge of the men’s and women’s collections under her supervision. His first full collection was for fall 2015 retailing. Like Slimane, he has a penchant for severe, razor-sharp designs that look best on a thin figure.

^^^ I have no idea about the YSL team, fashionista...

It’s really just wishful thinking on my part that Hedi is at Chanel. From a doc about HC, I definitely got the impression that the Chanel inhouse team is one of the strongest in the industry: Karl would sketch some horrid design in 2 seconds, then hand it over to the team and they actually spin pure gold from his straw.

Can Slimane do same Karl does? I'm not sure Slimane can sketch - have so much ideas as Karl has. Years long.

^ That's a good point, Karl does have a multitude of ideas. Hedi seems to have one main idea.

I haven't watched the Chanel documentaries, but I do know Karl likes to be perceived as offhand and nonchalant. I'm wondering if this preference has had anything to do with the perception that he's not doing much. No doubt the ateliers and all the specialist businesses Chanel owns are the best in the business--but if they tried 'Weekend with Bernie' with Karl, I suspect the difference would be immediately apparent.

I also think we have some tFSers who could make a better dress than Hedi. I suspect he's suppressing the skills of his current atelier in order to produce what he does ... but perhaps I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noorap
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->