Hedi Slimane leaves Dior Homme

I thought Galliano owned his own brand? LVMH acquired it? I know MJ is under LVMH, but didn't know John Galliano was as well...it seems like a win-win situation, but sometimes it can be messy if one doesn't dance by their music

hedi tends to design to the younger generation, most of us can't afford to buy all the clothes now, but in a few years it will be a different story. i think that's where lvmh will regret it.

ps:
wonder what'll happen to all this:
00122f.jpg

LANE said:
hedi tends to design to the younger generation, most of us can't afford to buy all the clothes now, but in a few years it will be a different story.

Then wouldn't you be too old to buy it? :wink:

Does anyone know where I can view the YSL by Hedi Slimane collections for free? Thanks in advance.

JJohnson said:
I thought Galliano owned his own brand? LVMH acquired it? I know MJ is under LVMH, but didn't know John Galliano was as well...it seems like a win-win situation, but sometimes it can be messy if one doesn't dance by their music

well if someone like Margiela and Ann D. Can sell thier companies who wouldnt.
It gives you (some kind of) security in terms of being sure your company is/will be around, butat the price of losing some (or all in some cases) of the decision making process.
Sometimes you cant really be upset with the investors, because if you are spending millions of Dollars you have to secure your investment............

Its "Ride or Die" (fashion) World and Nobody rides for free anymore...............

Oh snap!
i'm kinda looking forward to seeing what hedi will do with womenswear.. hopefully he won't pull a Karl and just modify the menswear to suit women.
And I also hope Assche doesn't mess with the shoes and jeans. The B12 and 19cm are hotness.

In today's WWD they mentioned a larger push for leathergoods and footwear.

I must've missed that...Dior Homme severely needs a bag overhaul, I cant stand all the logo-a-gogo in boring shapes.

Diorling said:
I must've missed that...Dior Homme severely needs a bag overhaul, I cant stand all the logo-a-gogo in boring shapes.

I know and they need comfortable shoes too...I heard many people complaining about their DH shoes. (sizes larger than US 12 would be nice too :innocent:)

I find they're shoes to be pretty damn comfortable...For designer shoes. YSL easily has the most uncomfortable shoes on the face of the earth, they're fabulous torture devices.

Diorling said:
I find they're shoes to be pretty damn comfortable...For designer shoes. YSL easily has the most uncomfortable shoes on the face of the earth, they're fabulous torture devices.

haha, have you tried on the DH 6.5cm heels?

I own. I also have the YSL Johnny, and compared to the Johnny the 6.5 are like sneakers.

I wear a size US 15, so no designer shoes for me..except I squeeze into these Marc Jacobs sneakers I have...bleh YSL makes a wicked shoe, but I'll never be able to wear them...I wonder what Andre Leon Talley does with his shoes..lol

Looking at the older Dior Homme collections, comparing these to what is currently produced, and taking into account Hedi's own aesthetic should indicate to anyone vaguely interested in the label that his influence was waning.

Hedi has been pushed into the background, justifiably in the eyes of the shareholder, to be predominantly a face for the label. This makes complete sense from this aspect; for those appreciate the actual artistic element of his work, this has been to our detriment. It was inevitable that a company as large as LVMH should exploit the initial investment that they made with Hedi; the initial collections were costly to produce, they were coupled with expensive catwalk shows, large investments in new boutiques, a relatively small output, and general overall obscurity of the Dior Homme label. A company as large and successful in the luxury goods industry as LVMH was fully aware of what it was doing in such circumstances; this is why we now see filthy, tacky, cheap t-shirts, hoodies, and sweatshirts; and furthermore why we see people like Justin Timberlake wearing these.

Dior Homme in Spring 2007 was perfectly positioned for profit; a head designer more and more being exposed to the press, high end expensive garments for those who followed the label and fashion generally, a rock star and celebrity following, and most importantly, cheap garments and accessories for the common man (which were even more cheaply made, by even more common folk).

Hedi Slimane clearly saw his own position both within the label and in the industry compromised; his departure should really come as no surprise.

I think we're seeing Dior Homme do exactly what LVMH built it for: to sell mass luxury goods to a whole new men's market and niche. This has expanded to jeans, shoes, skin care, sweaters, etc, each carrying the vibe of Hedi's world but clearly lacking in the orignality and flare of his runway designs, not to mention craft and quality. This is the compromise made when you grow your own house within the nurturing resources but everpresent fiscal pressures of a large company.

My question is whether Hedi even cares. And it doesn't help that his last couple of shows were received with a yawn from both committed fans and the critics. I'd like to think Hedi is buying his time for something big. His Dior Homme collections make outstanding womenswear, you could even change the runway looks verbartim to a female model. I think that's going to be a catalyst in how Slimane's career develops over the next few years. I would love for him do to his own line. He's much like YSL in that he needs his own house. And I'm sure in some parallel dimension there's a version of YSL the brand where Alber Elbaz and Slimane had both stayed on. I guess this whole thing is about a lot of if's.

from yesterday's International Herald Tribune:

" PARIS:Belgian designer Kris Van Assche will be replacing the wildly successful Frenchman Hedi Slimane as artistic director at Christian Dior SA's Dior Homme label.
Van Assche, a former assistant to Slimane, will join the upcoming ready-to-wear collection in September, the luxury label said in a statement.
Van Assche has garnered rave reviews since he launched his own label two years ago. He will continue to design for that label, Dior
Homme said. "

could this mean we are to expect one final farewell DH collection from Hedi ( SS/0:cool: ??

I also thought this was funny:

[...] In-fighting between Dior and Slimane first became public nine months ago during the July 2006 men's season in Paris, when Slimane refused to pose beside Arnault and CEO Toledano at a backstage photo-op. [...] (yahoo news)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kris Van Assche is just fantastic designer:-)
I cant wait to see his collection.. he becomes famous too fast!

Mutterlein, that's a good illustration, Hedi Slimane is much like YSL when he was at Dior. YSL got canned from Dior too, and now look at him. I have high hopes for Hedi, I wonder if he can move past his current look? He's a Pheobo Philo...

^ I agree that Hedi is like YSL when he was at Dior. Eventually an artist just gets too big for the shackles of a label that isn't their own. When this happens the only logical thing is to move onwards towards new territory. This is the case with Hedi in my opinion. Leaving Dior is not the end, its merely a new begining. We stand at a fashion precipice.

I also wonder about how he will evolve his look as pleasing as I find his aesthetic he's been at a bit of a standstill these last few collections.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->