Henna for Hair / Blonde Hair

TheSoCalledPrep

Reaction score
There's this kit thing at Sally Beauty Supply, it's marked down really cheap. I want to try it, but I realize that if I screw my hair up with a two dollar thing, I will have to go pay $100 to have it fixed in the salon.

It's henna, and it's supposed to lighten/blondify your hair but not drastically like chemical hair die. Has anyone tried this? Will it make my hair a strange color?

I know As You Like It used/uses henna to acheive a red look, and it looks really good, but I'm just not sure if the blonde will work as well..

is it natural Henna? Natural Henna usually gives the hair a red shine...Ppl with dark hair use it, it has this red shine effect....My mum uses it and she has dark brown hair, her grey streaks go red...and the rest of the hair go dark brownish with a wave of red..
Natural Henna is dark green powder..Its usually mixed with red tea ...also its a good for the hair...it gives it this radical healthy shine

With henna, if you want to change your hair color, you either have to grow it out or chop it off. Henna is permanent and those chemical dyes won't do a darn thing to it once it's on.

exsupahero said:
With henna, if you want to change your hair color, you either have to grow it out or chop it off. Henna is permanent and those chemical dyes won't do a darn thing to it once it's on.

Doesn't sound like I want to use it, then. :rofl:

Hena is not permanent! Mom mum's put hena on her hair on regular basis...if the hair is light the colour shows rapidly..and you can dye over hena but its not advisble to do so, it can harm the hair. You can not put hena on your hair if your hair has been subjected to any chemical treatment such as dyes...and you can not put a dye on hair that has been dyed with henna...Henna's effect lasts for around 2-5 months...but i dont recall it being permanent at all...

That's funny, it seems that only older people use henna on the hair - the only person I know that uses it is my aunt... her hair looks really gorgeous, with deep reddish shades. ^_^ But, like exsupahero said, I think its really strong on the hair - it's a permanent dye.

I thort henna made it darker as I have had henna tatatoos as a kid and they were dark brown.

My friend did a blonde henna treatment, and it looked really good. She swims quite a bit, and her hair still looks really shiny, full of highlights, etc.

Whoa, we don't have any henna threads in Hair Care? Odd. I use henna, I'm def not old by any means. So far I love it, I sure wasn't expecting it to do all that did for my hair: slight relaxing=no more frizz, red tints, gloss. And no chemicals! I'm surprised more people on here aren't using it.

Henna cannot lighten hair nor turn it blonde, and if its coming from Sally's Beauty I would very much doubt that there is any henna in that product. Henna makes your hair red--> brown --> very dark brown or black depending on your starting color. Its not permanent, its semi-permanent and it def fades after a few months.

Lush Henna smells good, but I used the Marron and the coffee grinds drove me insane. Plus it didn't give me a real vibrant color. Now I just get pure henna. Anyone else here use henna?

You can get samples of pure henna from hennaforhair.com. I wouldn't buy henna from anywhere else, other than them or their list of reputable vendors because a lot of times, henna is adulterated with chemicals including PPD which some people are very sensitive to, as well as green dye, sand, dirt and twigs. The henna you see often in stores is often poor or low quality and doesn't dye very well leading to orange colors and are sometimes adulterated with chemicals.

Lush.com henna is pure, but has many other additives in it like cocoa butter and fragrances and coffee grinds (see above post of mine). But as far as I know it is pure. Sometimes people say their hair turned green after using it. It also is a pain to use it, since you have to chop/grind a solid block of it, cook it and then let it sit. Not worth it, since you're paying almost $30 for it and for less than $20 you could get more and higher quality henna from hennaforhair or other vendors.

Lastly you could try Middle Eastern, Pakistani or Indian grocers. Look for "Jamila" brand henna that is the best. With these they are sometimes unmarked or may have chemicals in them or dye as well. Really just to try it, Jamila from the grocery or better yet hennaforhair.com is your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
im upset :cry: I really want to use henna, I want those red tones and extra shine but i've still got some dye left in my hair.

Does anyone know a chemical dye they have used that will give me dark red hair? :heart:

^Are you sure that you can't use henna over it? There are people on the hennaforhair forums that have done so, albeit with some caution. You also might find some recs about dark red dyes :smile:

^^ i think you might be able to use henna, even with a bit of color already in your hair. i would just do a strand test to determine that it works, and to see what color you'll get. :flower:

Thanks for the advice :flower: I will definitely do a test before, Ive had WAY too many hair disasters (and im only 17 :innocent:)

You can get samples of pure henna from hennaforhair.com. I wouldn't buy henna from anywhere else, other than them or their list of reputable vendors because a lot of times, henna is adulterated with chemicals including PPD which some people are very sensitive to, as well as green dye, sand, dirt and twigs. The henna you see often in stores is often poor or low quality and doesn't dye very well leading to orange colors and are sometimes adulterated with chemicals.

Lush.com henna is pure, but has many other additives in it like cocoa butter and fragrances and coffee grinds (see above post of mine). But as far as I know it is pure. Sometimes people say their hair turned green after using it. It also is a pain to use it, since you have to chop/grind a solid block of it, cook it and then let it sit. Not worth it, since you're paying almost $30 for it and for less than $20 you could get more and higher quality henna from hennaforhair or other vendors.

Lastly you could try Middle Eastern, Pakistani or Indian grocers. Look for "Jamila" brand henna that is the best. With these they are sometimes unmarked or may have chemicals in them or dye as well. Really just to try it, Jamila from the grocery or better yet hennaforhair.com is your best bet.

thanks for this!!! :flower:
but, would a redhead have any luck using it? i want a more RED and less copper tone, well, i'm thinking about it.....

Yes, you would most definitely get a redder tone. I know a lot of people complain about getting 'orange clown hair' from henna, but the secret to getting a rich deep red, cherry or burgundy color is 3 things: high quality henna, good dye release, and multiple applications. Poor quality (old or not enough lawsone) henna won't have enough dye (lawsone) in it and gives off 'orange' colors. If you prepare your henna well, (ie w/something acidic like orange juice, tea or lemon juice etc, let sit for 8 hours in a warm spot) the henna will release a lot of dye. Multiple applications (2-4 times) will gradually increase the richness and depth of color; also after hennaing your hair, it oxidizes and gets darker. As long as you do this, you'll get a very rich red.

I have dark hair, but my highlights have gotten progressively more red and cherry-burgundy. I've tried a few types of henna but I liked Jamila the best for a deep cherry red. I would really recommend reading through all the articles on hennaforhair.com first, as it answers a lot of questions and has some pictures of what henna looks like on different hair colors. I should also mention that henna is a semi-permanent-permanent dye and that it won't make hair lighter but darker. Hope this helps :smile:

I used to use henna a lot when I'd dye my hair black. I stopped using it last winter for no other reason than I wanted a change of colour. It's great -- hair always looks healthy, soft and shiny. Black tends make hair look dry so the effects of henna were awesome. I loved it.

From what I experienced over the past several years, it was not permanent. It faded and I re-did it about once every 6 months. When I wanted the change of colour, I stripped it and then dyed my hair a plum shade with regular dye. I did it at a salon though. I would advise people who want to change colour after using henna to go to a Middle Eastern salon as they have a lot of experience working with henna and how to strip hair afterwards.

Also, you can get all different sorts of henna hair dye colours at any Indian hair shop. I actually get mine at a local Indian grocery store.

My mom using black henna to dye her hair as well and she plans to change to Blonde this weekend at a local Middle Eastern salon. Will let you know how it goes!

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->