Everything Platinum Blonde Hair

As long as you're using a conditioning shampoo, it doesn't matter all that much which one you use. The main thing is to be careful you don't wash your hair too often because even just the water contact can cause your color to fade.

Yes and some waters can actually turn hair from platinum to a dingy blonde, other factors can change the colour too such as chlorine. Once your hair is platinum, get a good platinum specific shampoo and conditioner. Not just John Frieda blonde or whatever...if you have a salon shop, such as Sally's nearby (they also do online) you can find multitudes of products designed especially for washing and conditioning platinum hair.

I have been obsessed with platinum hair for awhile too - I tell people I want to dye my hair white and they think I am crazy! My hair icons are Elyse Taylor and Carolyn Bessette Kennedy - however, my hairdresser has told me it would be very damaging and would require frequent touchups, even though I am a natural blonde, so I have since settled with super light highlights and a pretty light base... but I say go for it, you can best pull it off (and perhaps only pull it off) while you're young, in my opinion

Okayyy....I just bleached my hair to platinum (love it!)

It only took two days, four showers, two bleaches, two toners ansd two trips to Sally's. It was so worth it. While I don't reccomend at-home bleaching to everyone, it's a good option if you're like me and you don't A) know any really good hair colorists around and B) can't afford to pay someone a couple hundred dollars to do it.

Not including the pre-lightening, it cost me around $50 (my hair is naturally a light brown/dark blonde and I've been lightening it w/ non-bleach hair color for a couple years now). The haircolor I had before bleaching was a strawberry blonde with 1/4 inch dark root growth.

Altogether (in my two trips) I bought at Sally's Beauty Supply: 6 packets of L'Oreal Quick Blue Professional Powder Bleach, 2 8oz bottles of L'Oreal 30 Volume Oreor Creme Developer, 1 bottle of Clairol Creme Toner in Champagne Ice, 1 small 4oz bottle of 20 volume developer, 1 bottle of a semi-permanent toner (Clairol Born Blonde in Silent Snow) and the small packet that goes with the toner (forget what it's called). I bought the L'Oreal bleach/developers because I've been using the L'Oreal haircolor line a lot and I've had good results with their products. Plus, they haven't damaged my hair.

The first time around I bleached my hair with three of the bleach packets and one of the 30 developers. It came out to be this horrendous orange/GOLD color that was god-awful and it glowed! I barely got all my hair covered with those three packets (my hair is a few inches past my shoulder) and my hair was still too gold to use the toner so I ran back to Sally's. The girl working there said I shouldn't bleach my hair again because it would ruin my hair and she reccomended the Silent Snow toner to get the gold out (she said if the toner didn't work THEN I should bleach my hair again). So I bought that (and more bleach) and ran back to my house. Well, I did a strand test before using the toner and it looked awesome on the strand but when I used it on my hair it didn't do much except slightly decrease the gold (as I suspected it would) so I waited until the next day (when the hair is dirtier) and bleached my hair again. This time the orange/gold was gone but it still had the god-awful yellow glow. I was still pissed but I didn't feel like crawling back to Sally's so I decided to use the Champagne Ice toner (I've had bad experiences with toners in the past so I was hesitant to use it). And, what do ya know, the toner worked! Ta-da, platinum blonde! :heart: It looks fabulous and even my mother likes it and says it looks natural (my mother is very picky about hair colors).

I'd totally reccomend the products that I used, just make sure you buy a LOT of the bleach and developers if your hair is longer than, like, chin length. It's better to have too much than too little (and end up with cheetah spots on your head).

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Ooooh, I'd love to see the results! Can you post a picture of the back of your head (if you're worried about people seeing your face...)?

Annapolis said:
^^ Ooooh, I'd love to see the results! Can you post a picture of the back of your head (if you're worried about people seeing your face...)?

Yes, Post a picture if you can!

i dont know what it is about plat blonde but i always feel like it makes people look very washed out

joie said:
To me, toners are not shampoos or conditioners but an additional, stronger product- sometimes labelled a semi-permanent colour. Eg Goldwell colorance- my preferred shade in this is 10P- a lovely pearly blonde shade. Link: http://www.goldwellusa.com/products/haircolor/colorance.asp (scroll down)

Also check out Schwarzkopf Igora colour mousses- Iceflower is nice but it's a level 91/2 so not quite platinum. http://www.alphabeauty.com/shopping/pricelist.asp?prid=11123&Schwarzkopf---9.5-1--Iceflower-

oh thanks so much for your advice, i've been searching for the right toner for ages and haven't found it yet, so i welcome every new option. i might try the scharzkopf one, however i'm not sure i can actually buy it here in europe....have to check....:flower: does anyone know? thanks.

^ that's ok! I hope you can find a toner to suit you. I'd imagine both brands would be available if you're in the UK...

My hair is platinum again after a regrettable excursion into brown last week- it looked hideous so I bleached it to high heaven and now it's white! The last time my hair was like this was a year ago. It's very bright. I'm not sure I like it but oh well, I'm stuck with it for the time being.

I have white/platinum hair
I would say its definately worth the sh*t that comes with it
The amount of compliments I have had, because although its reasonably common its still quite interesting.
I would definately recommend considering the fact that it costs about £40 to have your roots done professionally, and £100 to have a full head of virgin hair bleached.
I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself, it can cause breakage if you accidently bleach over bleach. If you do though, Jerome Russell is the best one to go for, and I try not to be afraid of putting it on too long either, otherwise it can go orange/yellow.
xxxxxx
And in regards to caring for it I've tried really expensive brands - Joico for example is expensive in the UK, and I find really in the UK - tresemme is the best for a reconstructive mask!!

I am going ash blonde soon. I have red hair and I have to bleach it till it is light yellow and then put the ash toner on. I am very tempted to let the bleach sit till it is platnium cause I love how platnium looks when it is done right. Lovely! I am lucky too, as brown hair goes to red to orange to yellow and then to blonde. I am half way there already by nature!

My biggest problem is keeping the toner from fading....unfortunately, my hair has a lot of underlying reddish gold in it (in the picture it looks more reddish than it really is) that tries to peek out from behind the paler blonde hair. This pic is taken after a while, I need to get a pic of my hair immediately after it has been touched up when the hair is more platinum.

editedhairpic2.jpg

So far I get about less than two weeks before I have to touch up the toner and the roots (my hair grows really fast :angry: ). I bought a shampoo that has toner in it specifically for pale blonde hair so I'm going to see how long it keeps my hair from going gold. I wish I could find a toner that lasts longer!

I'm quite blonde- platinum but more white and I just LOVE it. Being blonde is so fun and while you're young and carefree, you might as well. The upkeep is ridiculously expensive but SO worth it. After years and years of maintainence, my best advice is stick to professionals. Brocato Blonde is fantastic, as is Aveda. I also have very very long hair so I've bought professional scissors and trim my hair once a week. Every 6months, I get a professional haircut. Take hair pills. Wash only every other day and once a month, do not wash for one week- it's painful but worth it.

Do you think that platinum blonde hair and white hair are the same thing?

For me it is not. Platinum blonde is imo very close to white but it isn't white really. For me white hair it what a lot of people have when they get old. Unless you colour it snow white then.
Some people say that Gwen Stefani has white but imo she is a platinum blonde.

My platinum blonde dreams have been dashed :(

After 2 cycles of bleach and countless toners, my hair just won't budge past the "yellow" phase. Platinum blonde is just out of my reach. I have wanted platinum blonde hair since 2001 when I wore a platinum blonde wig for Halloween; but alas, my natural hair is just too red. It is a sad day, indeed.

Thank you so much for all your answers and the picture!
Hipkitten: I can feel your pain and I feel so sorry for you. I have wanted to have platinum blonde hair since about 2001 too. Right after my high school graduation seven years ago I tried to get. I got it golden blonde but never platinum blonde. I think I have to much red highlights to get it too. I think the closest I'll ever get to it is to have a platinum blonde wig.
But I won't give up and I really want to try to achieve and maintain it.

Thank you so much for all your answers and the picture!
Hipkitten: I can feel your pain and I feel so sorry for you. I have wanted to have platinum blonde hair since about 2001 too. Right after my high school graduation seven years ago I tried to get. I got it golden blonde but never platinum blonde. I think I have to much red highlights to get it too. I think the closest I'll ever get to it is to have a platinum blonde wig.
But I won't give up and I really want to try to achieve and maintain it.

I am so bummed! This is the third time I've tried (and failed). Not sure why I thought this time would be different. I'm bummed because not only am I stuck with this yellow mess until Monday morning (my stylist insisted we give my scalp/hair a break) but my hair is damaged. Luckily it's short so the damage will grow out quickly but right now it sucks! Why is it that we always want what we cannot have? :doh:

after being very non impressed with the purple conditioners i have tried i have made my own i dont know why i didnt think of it sooner!

i use the la riche directions toners i was using white until i decided i looked a tad funny with that so have switched to silver which is better. i mix a little of the toner with the conditioner i already use which is aussie 3 minute mircle colour apply it leave it for 5 mins and ta da keeping it looking silver ^_^

and on the upside those little pots last me forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->