Everything Platinum Blonde Hair

in Plum Sykes' "Bergdorf Blondes", she mentions "13 day blondes", which means getting the hair done every 13 days.

seriously, that's a LOTTA work.

i'd rather just buy a platinum blonde lacefront :rofl:

I'm a platnium blonde, I was going to go back to my hairdresser next week as i'm having a big birthday but she's going on holiday! I don't know anyone around who knows my hair and can make it platnium. It's so scary. a week before my b'day i don't want to end up with a bad bleach job!!!

I'm quite blonde- platinum but more white and I just LOVE it. Being blonde is so fun and while you're young and carefree, you might as well. The upkeep is ridiculously expensive but SO worth it. After years and years of maintainence, my best advice is stick to professionals. Brocato Blonde is fantastic, as is Aveda. I also have very very long hair so I've bought professional scissors and trim my hair once a week. Every 6months, I get a professional haircut. Take hair pills. Wash only every other day and once a month, do not wash for one week- it's painful but worth it.

Fascintnating!

so you trim weekly? that must be amazing for your hair...much better than relying on 6week trims, right? I'm a short bob hair girl presently, so do you think it would be a good idea to do weekly trims myself? i'm unsure because my hair being so short doesn't seem like it would allow me to do an even trim.

what hair pills--brands, dose, do u use?

what makes it painful to not wash for a week?

is your hair thick, and what volume/toner/shampoo set do u use? was your hair long and light before u went platinum, making the transition easier?
mine was dyed red before i did the color correction of going platinum. i wish i started from virgin hair not dyed. my hair is quite short and i sometimes wonder if dying is putting too much stress on the ends, making them break off so that my hair is giving the illusion that it isn't growing. it seems like it takes forever for my hair to grow.

i've had no success with the violet toner shampoos...i don't notice a difference at all
and they never seem to make my platinum locks lighter, instead they go grayer.
what am i doing wrong?

another thing about the platinum shade of blonde: i notice there isn't much of a concensus on what platinum is among stylists. i've very exactly requested platinum in high end salons and still got a grey/brownish tint over my blonde, or even a greenish hue at times.
how does your stylist formulate your shade?

after being very non impressed with the purple conditioners i have tried i have made my own i dont know why i didnt think of it sooner!

i use the la riche directions toners i was using white until i decided i looked a tad funny with that so have switched to silver which is better. i mix a little of the toner with the conditioner i already use which is aussie 3 minute mircle colour apply it leave it for 5 mins and ta da keeping it looking silver ^_^

and on the upside those little pots last me forever.

so you prefer a silver hue versus a white/pearl hue?
hmmm, is that really platinum or is that more gray?
please post pics! i have been on the quest to find the right shade of platinum for me and it's been very confusing.

i heard gwen stefani and j from tyra's show retouch their roots every week with a q-tip...is this true?
thats more work than a 13 day retouch!

For me it is not. Platinum blonde is imo very close to white but it isn't white really. For me white hair it what a lot of people have when they get old. Unless you colour it snow white then.
Some people say that Gwen Stefani has white but imo she is a platinum blonde.

from what i understand of stylists Gwen still has a golden tone, like playboy bunny blonde. white has nothing but white hues...there's no other tones present.

i don't white old white i want pearl-like platinum that's reflective and looks like a blend of moonlight and sunlight. some stylists call this a pastel, or creamy platinum.
i like kim novak, mansfield's, gwen's and monroe's shades a lot.

with bleaching- what's the gentlest on scalp? im amazed at CHI bleach and Joico's is nice too.

so you prefer a silver hue versus a white/pearl hue?
hmmm, is that really platinum or is that more gray?
please post pics! i have been on the quest to find the right shade of platinum for me and it's been very confusing.

i heard gwen stefani and j from tyra's show retouch their roots every week with a q-tip...is this true?
thats more work than a 13 day retouch!

well with those two toners i prefered the silver i never left it on long enough for it to go grey though just long enough so leave a silvery shine to my hair so it had some depth. plus the white was just too white my hair just ended up looking like cotton fluff because it was that white. although white may work better with longer hair but you can see mine was pretty short!

unfortunately im no longer blonde it really did ruin my hair and i got bored with how much work i had to put into it pretty quickly. i dont have many pictures from my blonde days looking back at it though i pretty much had white hair:ninja:

DSC00726-1.jpg

picture is my own

Hi,

This is me last summer with super platinum blonde! I loved it but it ruined my hair (this is why it`s so extremely layered-cut in these pictures).. I am naturally a No 7-8 tone blond in the color chart, but with platinum my roots came out super fast and super BLACK! My hairdresser used the 2 steps technique: bleach first (about 30min with the strongest oxidant, i think 12%), and Joico haircolor after. :shock:

Picture 59.jpg Picture 58.jpg

Picture 53.jpg Picture 54.jpg

As you can see, the condition of my hair was pretty poor, so at that time i decided to leave it natural.

I have resisted 1 year without blonde hair. :D
About 2 weeks ago i went again to the salon (another salon this time), and the hairdresser made a work of art in only 1 step.
Here it is the result (i have posted many pictures, since the shade of blond is depending on the light a lot, so you need to see all shades :wink: ).

IMG00283_1.jpg IMG00290_1.jpg

IMG00312_yahoo.jpg IMG00278_1.jpg

IMG00292_1.jpg IMG00296_yahoo.jpg

She used Wella Koleston haircolor (which i love) + an oxidant of ONLY 1.9% that she put in the haircolor (sounds better than a 12% bleaching stuff, isn`t it??), and managed this color in 20 minutes.
I simply find it the perfect solution and it`s not damaging at all for my thin silky hair (it`s not the crazy whitish platinum, but it`s still very light). :flower:

What do you girls think? :innocent:

darkonya, i thihnk your hair colour is fantastic! it looks so shiny too!
i'm kinda doing a similar thing, naturally im around a 7-8 but colour it a 9.11 indola with only 3%..can i ask what colour koleston you use?

darkonya, i thihnk your hair colour is fantastic! it looks so shiny too!
i'm kinda doing a similar thing, naturally im around a 7-8 but colour it a 9.11 indola with only 3%..can i ask what colour koleston you use?

Thank you Linda! :blush:
My hairdresser mixes a few colors from the Koleston Perfect range of haircolors.
Here is the link to the tonal families of Koleston Perfect catalogue:
http://www.wellausa.com/consumer/products/color/koleston_perfect/shades/index.jsp
She is mixing haircolors:
- from Pure Naturals: Natural Tones - No. 99/0
( http://www.wellausa.com/consumer/pr...s/pure_naturals___shade_overview/nuances.jsp? )
- from Rich Naturals: Cool Tones - No. 9/1 and No. 9/8
( http://www.wellausa.com/consumer/pr...s/rich_naturals___shade_overview/nuances.jsp? )

As i noticed, the best colors come out when you mix a few tones (it turns out to be more natural looking :rolleyes: ).
And the best part is that my HD is taking notes: like some sort of diary for each client, with the color mixing+oxidant quantities and concentrations for each salon visit, so she would know what to do when the client asks for a more light or dark or warm or any kind of change... That is the best thing a professional HD can do (and should do)! :woot:

You mentioned that my hair looks healthy and shiny... That is because i also use some Wella professional (salon exclusive) products (shampoo, mask, heat protection). All these result in the best hair texture and look possible :smile:
If you are interested i can also give you this kind of details.

Hugs! :flower:

I have naturally very very very blonde hair, my older sister is however somewhat more honey blonde ... anyway long story short she home dyed her hair today and it went really brassy yellow. Seeing as i have never dyed my hair before, not blonde anyway, and neither has she, she asked me to look for help, because she does not want to leave her home lol. We live in the uk, and need advice on the idea of a toner, i've heard a good toner can really sort you out ... bless she just wanted hair like me, wierd lol.

voltaire--tell me more abot the cola mansion location you're at!

darko--i don't see the platinum hue, but i do see a pretty diverse mix of blonde shades. why don't u model? u look a lot like certain actresses...who have people told u? how is life in romania? im fascinated by that country and the stories about the orphanges...
can u post pics of your platinum hair?

I'm thinking about pulling an Abbey and going white blonde / platinum blonde :ninja:

I used to have golden blonde hair as a child but it got darker over the years and is now an ash blonde shade naturally. It's currently dyed in a reddish brown shade and I'm so bored of it :yuk: And no matter what color I'm getting, it all fades after a while and looks weird. I'm not sure if the platinum blonde would work on me (I know honey blonde doesn't :lol: ) because I have brown eyes. Does anyone have pictures of people with brown eyes and very very light blonde hair where it looks good?

And also, is it really expensive to get it done in a salon? I don't want to invest a lot of money because I know I'll be too lazy to get my roots touched up and will probably just spill some other hair dye over it anyway (still dreaming of getting lavender or peach hair!).

Any info or advice would be much appreciated :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have platinum blonde hair and I love it! I started dying my hair blonder and blonder about 8 years ago, and this is the end result.

view.php
(my own picture)

That's from about 4 months ago- it is a liiiiittle bit lighter now, and actually in better condition. (That pic is hair that is just washed and go, no product or straightening or anything. Obviously looks much better/lighter straightened.)

But I do my blonde myself! I like Jerome Russell bleach the best, and use a 40 volume toner. I naturally have dark blonde/light brown hair (I think, it's been a while!) and just do my roots now, it takes about 30 minutes to lighten it to platinum and keeps the hair in pretty good condition since I only have to do each part once. I like the manic panic virgin snow as a toner, as it seems to make my hair more manageable and not turn it grey (but does turn it blue for a bit before I wash it again).

I used to get it professionally done, and it would take about 2-3 hours and cost around $250 for a cut and color, and even with dying the base light blonde and then getting blooooonde highlights, it wasn't as light as it is now.

I've used a lot of different treatments and shampoos, and I've actually found that sometimes the cheaper stuff works better! I like Garnier Fructis Moisture Works for everyday (both the shampoo and conditioner) and then Living Proof Straight Making No Frizz Styling Spray for when I blow-dry and straighten. It is pretty straight, not flat, and feels pretty silky.

People sometimes ask me if it is my natural haircolor. It makes me laugh! When they ask how I get it that light, the only answer is determination.

edit: pic wont show up? http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ztcy29&s=7 (my own pic)

What exactly is toner for? Is it to help with the brassiness? I'm a (fake) platinum blonde and brassiness has become a problem for me. I think it's the water, but I need help to get it to stay away!

A toner cancels out brassy tones, so blue toners counteract orange tones and purple toners counteract yellow tones :smile: Unless your hair is very light, you'll become brassy no matter what if you're platinum and it's not the bleaches fault; it's your hair pigment. Every platinum blonde needs to tone her hair after the initial bleaching and then constantly refreshen it with a purple shampoo and/or conditioner :smile: The great thing about the shampoos/conditioners are that they wash out if you use too much and start to notice a violet tinge; so you basically control how cool/warm you want your hair to be. I'm not even blonde yet, but I made sure I knew about this! :D

I have naturally very light blonde, but I use toner on it from time to time to help keep it nice and light. (Wella White Lady) Toner is typically a very subtle demi/semi color that helps to cancel out green/red tones in the hair, it's really great stuff, and helps to avoid overprocessing it, because rather than bleaching over and over to get the orange out, you can usually just bleach it once or twice, and then tone it. A 'double process' is typically a round of bleach, and a round of toner.

Reviving this thread..

Does anyone know how to achieve this look?
I know it sounds strange, but I love the roots :blush:

2jxu39.jpg

deviantart.com

Hmm. It's kind of streaky at the roots, I am thinking it's a few very intense rounds of foils. I love the roots as well!

Hey guys, I would love to go platinum blonde but I don't know. I'd have to do iit at home cos I wouldn't have the money to get it done professionally. I've bleached my hair before before dying it different colours like pink at one point. But anytime I've bleached it it has come out that orangey colour. I'm a natural dark brown and at the moment I have brown colour in it. It's really faded to yknow that kinda gingey brown colour brown fades to and I'm thinking about just letting it all grow out. Should I let it all grow out first before trying to platinum? My hair is short so it wouldn't take that long. Really my question though is how do you go from the orange bleached hair to platinum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Realktz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"