Highlights of S/S 08

MulletProof

Reaction score
As the summer shows came to an end this weekend and season reviews are already starting to flood the internet, what were your favorite shows this past month, your least favorites ones.. and why?.
Feel free to add a top 5, creative categories, and.. post away. :magic:

mcqueenapphoto1fn6.jpg

[AP Photo- via tfser R0b0t]

hmmmm....the five best shows of the season....

1. John Galliano
2. John Galliano
3. John Galliano
4. John Galliano
5. Balenciaga

...I also liked JPG, Hermes and Lacroix, but nothing this season comes close to Galliano! His show was so much fun, so much energy, so much beauty in a season lacking in all three categories!

Biggest disappointment would definitely be Dior, though...but Galliano made up for it 10 fold at his own line!

^Agreed Chanel was my biggest dissapointment as well, my favorites were McQueen, Dolce & Gabbana, Missoni, and Lanvin!

1 Versace (again)
2 Burberry (again)
3 Balenciaga
4 Alexander McQueen
5 John Galliano

My LEAST favourites included:

Chanel (again)
Hermes
Dries Van Noten
ALL of NY except Betsey and Heatherette

I was actually a bit disapointed by Betsey. It was decent, but not her best. Heatherette I can never take seriously.

But as far as NY went I also liked Philip Lim and Marc by Marc.

1 - Lanvin
2 - Balenciaga
3 - Galliano
4 - Nina Ricci
5 - Alexander McQueen

Oh yeah I forgot to mention how much I hated Louis Vuitton. That show was just repulsive.

the ones that got my heart pumping are:

yohji yamamoto
dries van noten
limi feu
txell miras
nina ricci

To elaborate, this season as a whole was one big disappointment after another. I felt as if every designer decided to just experiment with their collections, and as a result nothing seemed definite, but instead confused and jumbled.

As a whole, the S/S 08 shows were relatively dull and uninspiring. I hope next season is better, or at the very least more interesting.

1 dries van noten
2 alberta ferretti
3 marios schwab
4 dolce & gabbana
5 miu miu

as a huge fan, my biggest disappointment was probably marni
and my lest favourites

1 marc jacobs
2 louis vuitton (except the bags)
3 marc by marc jacobs

anyone spot a theme :wink:

Lanvin
Jil Sander
Versace
Anne Klein
John Galliano
Alexander McQueen
Nina Ricci
Dries Van Noten
Dolce & Gabbana
Proenza Schouler

Biggest dissapointment (like many) was Chanel. Ew.

Top 5

Lanvin- Alber took simple clothes and lines and just made them look perfect. The girls looked beautiful, the fabrics looked beautiful, it was just beautiful, nothing else need be said.

Dolce and Gabbana- I really loved seeing their romantic side for a change. It was irreverent, whimsical and really, really pretty.

Nina Ricci- In a season of flowery, sugary, colorful stuff, I loved the dark edge it had. Being so different was enough to win me over.

Prada- Derivitive, ugly, too fashion forward. Whatever people wanna say, I just liked the clothes. There were beautiful colors and prints and a silly sense of magic to it.

Vera Wang/Rodarte- The only two NY shows that made an impression on me. It was great to see Vera soften things up a bit with her shapes and Rodarte presented a really interesting take on the soft romantic stuff that's going on.

Category all his own
John Galliano- I love that he took all of the cliche trends we've been seeing, ruffle, pinks, florals, trasparency, and made them seem as silly as they are. It was, I think, the only show that was full of life and fun and fashion.

Let Downs

Dior- Clearly, all of the vibrancy and passion went into John's own collection, and it seems that this is the new path Dior will be taking. The best thing about the show was the hair and makeup.

Donna Karan- In a season when goddess dressing is so big, it was extremely disappointing to see almost none of her beautiful draping. Plus, after such a powerful fall outing, this collection seemed so mundane.

Versace- I expected way more from Donatella. This was a boring collection considering what she's done in the past 3 seasons.

Hated

Balenciaga- for all the great technique and shape, it was so f-ing repetitive. The florals were way too overpowering and there was no variety at all, and when that's the case technique means squat to me.

Marc Jacobs/Vuitton- I didn't hate the MJ collection until I saw it's further dishevelled state in Paris. Vuitton was sloppy, rediculous and gimmicky, three things I do not expect from Marc Jacobs.

Overall this season was about as interesting as if the designers had sent the raw muslin patterns onto the runway. Still, I am glad to see fashion move away from the cheesy 80's stuff, outer softness seems realyl refreshing right now, as long as there's an inner strength to balance it.

Faves:

Ralph Lauren
Sonya Rykiel
Vera Wang
Lanvin
Catherine Malandrino
Diane Von Fustenberg

Hated:

Chanel
Balenciaga
Alexander McQueen

Paris continues to be overrated IMO especially the big houses.

my favorites:

Alexander McQueen
John Galliano
Lanvin
Nina Ricci (for the unique prints...)
Balenciaga
Louis Vuitton
Marc Jacobs
Ralph Lauren
Dolce&Gabbana

Favorites:

Prada
John Galliano
Marc Jacobs/Marc by Marc
Carolina Herrera
Karl Lagerfeld

Biggest dissapointment

Chanel
Versace
House of Holland
Louis Vuittton
Gucci

Here are some of my faves :
John Galliano:heart:
Sonia Rykel
Lanvin:heart:
Dries van noten
Macqueen
Malandrino
Tsmori Ch.
Proenza Schouler
Gaultier
Hermes
Isabel marant
and some others I cant remeber right now :D

And my least favorite show def. Chanel, big disappointment, Dior (didnt hated but was boring) Miu Miu, Balenciaga, Gucci...were disappointments too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been so tired with school that I've barley checked out any collections, but from what I did see...

MJ
Balenciaga
Mqueen
Lanvin

I'll have to check out galliano with all the rave about it

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trashmagic
Back