How can I "flare" the bottoms of my jeans?

tyNW

Reaction score
I bought a pair of true religion jeans online and they sent me the ones that are straight leg as oppose to boot cut, I *hate* straight leg jeans, is there anyway to flare out the bottoms? I was thinking of cutting a slit in the sides at the bottom then distressing it with sand paper (haha all the cool kids make holes in their jeans this way I guess..) so it would look natural instead of me just cutting them. Here's a pic of the jeans, thx for all advise!!

solissf_1875_96356760

Image taken from The Solis Company website

Ahh!!! The F-Word. These jeans are True Religion, not Limited Too, bootcut. I dont know, I think you might make it look worse, you should try to exchange them and if not have a professional (who has a clue) do it for you. Im getting back into bootcut, I have the height that I can pull it off.

did they send you the wrong ones? Or did you order the straight cut without knowing? I would get an exchange or jsut refund them. It sounds like a hard task trying to bootcut them yourself.

^agreed.
Proceed with caution - best to get a tailor to do a proper job for you! :wink:

Agree on the exchange too :flower:

If you can't make an exchange for some reason, let us know and we'll proceed with suggestions :P

well I talked to a tailor at Nordstrom and David Lawrence and neither will do it for me, anyone else have suggestions? I really wanna wear these with my sandals and diesel shoes! Thanks all, everythign is appreciated the place just sent me these I assumed they were bootcut since I've never really seen straight leg true religions.. They don't take exchanges/returns it was a botique from LA

Did the tailors tell you why they wouldn't do it? Maybe it's a sign :magic:

Considering they already look shot, I don't think you're going to hurt much by slicing a slit in the side seam and letting it fray. You won't have to muck around with sandpaper or anything, just cut the denim and wash them a couple of times. They'll fray naturally and be just fine. Granted, they won't be "boot cut," as such, but will have an open slit at the bottom, but if you simply cannot bring yourself to wear straight-leg jeans, it may be a solution.

Frankly, I think they look just fine as they are. I don't particularly like those jeans one way or another, but I seriously doubt anyone will look at you and think, "oh good grief, what's that guy doing wearing straight leg jeans? He should definitely be working the flares." Nobody will think that. They may think you were out stringing barbed-wire fence and wrestling calves all weekend, but I don't think they will criticise the width of your pants legs.

tyNW said:
well I talked to a tailor at Nordstrom and David Lawrence and neither will do it for me, anyone else have suggestions? I really wanna wear these with my sandals and diesel shoes! Thanks all, everythign is appreciated the place just sent me these I assumed they were bootcut since I've never really seen straight leg true religions.. They don't take exchanges/returns it was a botique from LA

Unless they were on sale which i understandable, Im curious to know why they dont exchange or refund. Consumer rights?

Agreed with As You Like It :flower:

alot of botique-type stores won't do exchange/refund after certain ammount of time or at all. Where should I cut the jeans? can someone circle it in red or something? and how high up should I go?

Go along the outside seam. I'd advocate picking the stitches out with a seam-ripper. If you don't have one, you can get one at ANY fabric or craft shop, and even Walmart has them in their craft department. They cost about $5.

I'd say you should open the seam up about 7" (18cm), most likely, though you may want to start with less and open them up further if it doesn't seem like enough at first. Once you have got the seam open as far as you want it, you will need to do a couple of reinforcement stitches in the top of the seam to keep the pants-leg from opening up any further. This you can do with either a sewing machine or just a needle and thread.

You might want to take a pair of scissors and trim the edge of the open seam a bit to remove the darker denim (the inside of the seam will be darker than the rest of the jeans on account of the distressing treatment they did on the main fabric of the jeans). Then throw them in the wash, run them through the dryer and see how they look. After several washings, they should be nicely frayed.

When I was a younger all the kids cut a slit in their jeans (well, the girls, at least :P) Have you considered putting the jeans up on ebay and getting yourself a pair that you'll be more comfortable with? If that's not an option, I'd just cut a slit along the inner seam (or pick out the seams, it sounds like an excellent idea although the kids didn't do that in my day :P) Try the jeans on and you'll be able to tell for yourself how long the slit should be. You don't want it too long. I agree that you probably don't have to use sandpaper on it, though, it'll look worn by itself in no time.

good luck.

Where did you get them from? some online retailer or ebay? Are you sure they're authentic?

You posted stock pictures of True Religion Joeys, and those are pretty flared. TR Joeys are nothing at all like straight leg...

yes they are authentic, i bought them from J. Ransom website, lol. The stock photo I posted is more flared then the ones I have.

My vote is to take them in oh so slightly at the knee and thigh and leave the hem the hell alone. That way, the difference between the thigh, knee and hem will create the illusion of a bootcut. If you slit the hem it will most likely look like a bell bottom.

ppppeeeeeaaaaaaaccccccceeeeeeeeee

Actually my first choice would be to forget about changing them at all.

The above post is just a suggestion.

buy new jeans that are bootcut. in a month you'll probably realize you like the straight ones better anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->