How Do You Walk In High Heeled Shoes?

NIKKA

Reaction score
Ok,now I'm feeling depressed. I've never worn pointy anything except boots with 2 inch spiny heels...so I was real excited when I found this D.Pliner red suede mules with a sexy heel and when I wore it around the shoe store i can walk in it. So I took off in it this morning and found out I can't walk in it for an extended time... around the office is fine since its has some carpeting but outside on the brick sidewalk it is a big challenge and a pain :( ... will you girls please tell me how to walk in >= 2 inch heels. Maybe its the way I distribute my weight? I'm so tired of not being able to wear sexy shoes and wondered how I can ever buy those Carrie Bradshaw kind of heels (Manolos and Christian louboutin) and actually walk or run in them.

Well, the steps that you can take when you have heels on get smaller until you get used to landing on your ball instead of on the heel of your foot. It is sort of like gliding or skating on carpet 'cept you only glide/skate your ball (of your foot).

gliding... does that mean you don't actual lift your foot much...so the weight of your body is on the ball of your feet? It makes sense. Was trying it at my cubicle but my boss came back... :lol: How about the foot scrunching do you just increase your threshold of pain ,meaning you ignore it and it becomes easier ? :flower:

Nikka I know what you mean! I can wear 2 inch heels now, but 3 inch heels are still too advanced for me!
I wore a pair of 3 inchers to a Christmas party last year and damnnnn I was in pain for the second half of the night. It was a dance party. lol Silly me, but the shoes were gorgeous, so there!
I think you have to dig in and get acclimatized to the pain.
What women have to go through... :rolleyes:

You mentioned the shoes are mules. I can walk in huge huge heels (i should go measure my highest!) without any problems but I can not walk in mules even if they are very low... Maybe the problem is the lack of support around the ankle or heel? Not sure how one would remedy this....!?

Juniperbug ,
Yes formal occassions for me are always a problem because of the shoes. Anything less than 2 inches doesn't seem to be effective.sigh...Its always the
ones with the skinny heels that are hard...

Foxinthesnow..
Yep they are mules. You could be right about the ankle support. In fact I bet that's what it is. I was determined to make this shoe work because I just love
the red color so I added padding to the instep and a non-slip thingie to the sole and
it got me through the night in a party at a friend's house...hee.hee..

I'll wear it again next week after my poor feet has recovered to see if the added stuff works.

Here is a picture of it. The red one.

http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product...ry=&Search=True

Actually I just realized they were 3 inches...I can't believe I walked in that...

It may be because of your posture .. you'd better ask someone who knows about this (like the shoesalesperson!)

There's an article in the new Allure (Penelope Cruz on the cover) inside J. Alexander "Diva Extraordinaire" :P is giving tips on how to walk in high heels.

Great ! That's a timely article.. shall look for that issue. :flower:

Mules can be dificult indeed :angry:
Chloe Sevigny once put an elastic band around a black pair (under the arch and over the foot) and I've been tempted to try it a few times!

Originally posted by *Anoush*@Oct 4th, 2003 - 1:44 am
You just need some practice. :wink:
i agree. i remember practicing in my room in the 5th grade. You just need some practice. :wink:

mules are probaly not the best option if you're not used to wearing high heels. try pumps, may be even round toe instead of pointy. not all shoes are "created equal", soem have high heels but mroe comfortable to wear than tohers with low heels. just keep trying different brands of shoes & shapes of heels, and you'll find the best ones for your feet. also, if you have naturally very low arch, it may be challenging to wear stilletos or very high heels.
and don't look at Sex and the City girls, in reality, SJP does NOT have to walk around all day in jimmy choos or manolos, and most rich women don't! they have drivers. these shoes were not meant for "walking"much, you know? :lol:

to be honest.....i dont think ive ever seen a woman who doesnt work in fashion who can walk in their shoes......its hideous when women walk like they are on the beach or something :sick: its the biggest turn off

I do have a low arch :( . But I have come a long way from just wearing sneakers 6 years ago . Actually I started with platforms which I know is not very sexy but now I've graduated to chunky heels specially on boots. I like shoes by stuart weitzman...I mean they are simple but their shoes have that extra cushion at the instep (i hope i got those shoe terms right)

Originally posted by Acid@Oct 5th, 2003 - 12:35 pm
to be honest.....i dont think ive ever seen a woman who doesnt work in fashion who can walk in their shoes......its hideous when women walk like they are on the beach or something :sick: its the biggest turn off
let's see how well you can walk in heels... :lol: :flower:
but you do have a point, many women can't walk in heels at all, they sort of wobble.

Exactly NIKKA, you don't lift your foot much. Only the heel is really lifted hence the use/workout of the calf muscles.

I'm uses to high heels. I never wear flats. I'm a shorty by nature so heels are my thing :lol: I noticed that for some shoes, especially the ones with slimmer higher heel, you need to walk as if you were tip-toeing. Most of the pressure should be going directly from your calf to the front of your foot (not your heel, I don't know what its called). Forget about balancing your weight on your heels, it should be directed to the front. When you walk, your legs need to be straight, hence why all the models, actresses' legs look so beautiful when they wear high heel. So good posture is definetly a must. Having the wrong posture can in the end, create unecessary pressure on your feet and your back. As someone else has already said, you need to "glide". You need to be more graceful in your steps when you wear heels compared to flat shoes or chunkier heels.

Oh and I forgot to add...... practice, practice, practice! :lol:

I design shoes but haven't a clue how to tell you to walk in them. I always take a pair of tracks with me wherever I go, also practice but as someone said most shoes aren't made for walking. Wait let me stop while I'm ahead :lol: :wacko:

ok, I did practice walking in the parking lot where no one was looking. Tried the catwalk style too but I think I looked funny...I feel like I'm bouncing.... :blush: will try practicing at home...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->