How Do You Walk In High Heeled Shoes?

I don't have too much trouble with high heels, but I got the ballet lessons, too. Hmm.

I too have trouble walking in heels! I hate walking to places I find it a waste of time therefore I rush about like a mad woman. Not very elegant! It is true that you have to walk tall, proud and slowly if you want to master the art of walking in high heels.

i dont :lol:
i always have a second pair of comfy shoes and only when i get off the car i change into my STILETTOS. :innocent:

i :heart: pointy heels, i've walked in 3 1/2 inch heels through 2 airports once -- you have to get used to heels & try to wear them whenever you can.

Thank God for women like you!
Last night, I dropped $700 on a beautiful pair of Sergio Rossi ostrich (3 inch) sling backs, only to find this morning that I couldn't walk in them. This morning, I went straight from the parking lot to my computer (ouch...my knees and balls of feet were killing) and immediately logged on to find out how I can make the most of my newest investment. I'm already walking/wobbling a bit more gracefully. Will the balls of my feet ever adapt to this?

ooh! $700 sergio rossi's :woot: :woot: :woot:

yes, they will adapt.
high heels are more like a foreign language, you're fine as long as you practice, but if you leave 'em for a while you'll come back to them a newbie & have to get yourself used to them all over again.

try not to put too much pressure on your feet though, you don't want to end up with blisters or injury.

Hi Girls.

If you want to walk in high heels there is only one way to do it. Get your self several pairs of 4 inch heels and wear them in rotation every day. It is going to hurt but it is the only way to get your feet used to them. You are putting all of your body weight onto the balls of your feet and this part of your foot just has to get used to supporting all of your weight. Likewise your calf muscles are tensed all of the time and you are likely to get blisters. When you get blisters or when your feet hurt, switch to a different pair of heels but don't switch to flat shoes. After about 1 month you will start to find it gets much easier.

I know this sounds tough - but it will work. And it's worth it. Just think of those long elegant legs and remember that walking in heels gives your leg muscles a superb workout.

Good luck,
Charlotte

PS How about forming a heels training support group for those who are really trying to walk in heels - we could help each other to get over the pain barriier!

I've got a lot against me. My feet are thin ,the balls get calluses quickly and basically have no calf muscles. I notice that my back hurts afterwards but I think it was stated that it was my posture. Anyway, what surface is better to practice heel walking... should I start on the wood floors or light carpeted floors like the one they use in the office ?

Hi Nikka,

It's best to start on a carpeted floor - it feels a bit less tough on your feet. You need to build up your calf muscles, so do calf raises going up and down on your toes. Do 100 of these every time you have a spare moment. And think about your posture - keep upright, don't slouch forward. To toughen up the balls of your feet the best way is just to walk in heels - the feet will get used to it - you just have to work through the initial pain barrier.

Good luck - it's worth it in the end!
Charlotte

I had a dream last night ... I dreamt I was running and prancing in 4 inch heels with such ease ! Too bad it was just a dream....

Charlotte , today is my leg day and I'm going to include those calf raises ... I always avoid them but on my quest for those high heels i guess i need to work those calf muscles... :flower:

practice by wearing heels when you go about doing housechores or something. i wear my heels when i do the dishes and vacuum the floor, or lounging around the house.

this is great when you absolutely have to break in a new pair and have no time to do it.

silly ain't i? :P

Originally posted by contessacolette@Nov 12th, 2003 - 12:39 pm
practice by wearing heels when you go about doing housechores or something. i wear my heels when i do the dishes and vacuum the floor, or lounging around the house.

this is great when you absolutely have to break in a new pair and have no time to do it.

silly ain't i? :P
:lol: I do the same !

this also helps- gel cushions for dancers, I use them

gpc.jpg

bh016.jpg

i had the idea for the gel base stiletto ages ago

im furious that its been done before i had the chance to capitalise on it :angry:

but i still have another trick up my sleve which will make the gel pads work even better :wink: top secret girlies.......but coming to a store near u..........in about 5 years

I too have always been able to walk in 4 in heels with no trouble, but I never took ballet. :P So I couldn't tell ya how I learned.

I do have a few tricks I use to make them more comfortable though. I invested in a shoe stretchers designed for heels and also use those gel pads. You can also use arch supports inside them. This also helps out with the typical problem with your foot sliding down into the toes! It helps for me anyway.

I do agree, the practice makes it all. When I was in college and did not have to walk a lot, I was so used to high heels, could wear 3" all day and dance at the night club all night. Then for the summer I switched to low heels and it's a disaster now.
I put on 3" and they are making me weep :cry:

Yes...practise is all!! Wearing heels for vacuuming the floor etc. is a good idea. It just gets you used to being up on your toes.

Nikka...to strengthen the muscles you need to wear heels try doing calf raises while wearing heels - you only move through a tiny range of motion but it will really burn the calves.

Another thing is to wear heels to go out shopping etc. - when you'll have to walk a bit and when you can't wimp out and change out of them. As I say...if you feet hurt just think "long elegant legs" and keep going!

Good luck,
Charlotte

I agree, practice!

I have no problem with walking in heels, many a time have I stumbled home after a drunken night out, a 25 minute walk on cobbled streets in 4 inch stillettos... :wacko: (now I try to remember bringing a pair of comfy converse sneakers tucked in my purse..).
When I started wearing heels I just practiced at home (I started with boots because they give more support, then moved on to strappy sandals), wore the shoes for hours around the house...practice makes perfect!

I might have gotten the talent from my mom though, I swear she was born with high heels on her feet! :shock: She is Kylie-sized and have worn only high heels since she was 15. Now she is not able to wear flats, she says it makes her feel like she is falling backwards! Even her house-slippers have high heels! :lol:

Practice really does do the job.

I wear heels to work everday and actually have to walk in them! If someone wants a tour - it's me and my heels walking for a good 20 minutes straight (45 minutes w/ stops along the way)! Heel heights are anywhere from 2-3 inches and closed toe, so that make a difference. When it's strappy it can be a bit more difficult to walk in them, but always make sure that you're not hurting yourself and warping your feet. Remember, you wanna look cute when you have nothing on, too!

Hi Sojess,

Actually it's good for you that you have to walk in your heels at work - it means you keep up your practise in them!

Charlotte

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->