How to look sexy without crossing the line

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by softgrey, May 21, 2009.

1. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

It can be a fine line between sexy and hoochie...:ninja:

how to keep from crossing that line?...
    suggestions, ideas, pics...

***first thing i would say is that nothing should be skin tight
    except lingerie...and hosiery...
    or maybe a t shirt worn as a bottom layering piece...

other than that-
    you should have some breathing room in your clothes...

:p

2. Rightguard

Rightguard New Member

[cough]get rid of the blog girl look[/cough]:innocent::ninja:

3. CandiDandiStylin

CandiDandiStylin New Member

a rule i hear a lot is u either pick to be revealing below or on top .. not both. but sometimes i don't think it looks trampy with both it really depends how you do it i think.. and the occasion. something that may look nice in a club will definitly NOT have the same effect at a more formal function. use your logic and you should be fine!

4. The_Ida

The_Ida In Bloom

You shouldn't show a lot of skin and wear tight clothes at the same time. I think black is sexy :brows:

5. dumbfairy

dumbfairy New Member

I think that to be sexy, most girls,in general,think that you need to show some boob or leg. Or for some girls I know, both at the same time :innocent: But for me I feel sexier when I'm showing something like my shoulders or my back. Something more 'discreet' but showing just the right amount of skin so that I don't look like I'm turning tricks ^_^

#5 dumbfairy, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by moderator laudavinci: May 21, 2009
  6. fashionista-ta

fashionista-ta Well-Known Member

I personally try for some balance ... if I'm wearing a low-cut top I may wear pants or a long skirt ... but it's not because I think I'm going to look like a tramp. In my case anyway, I feel it would be difficult because I feel I project who I am clearly.

I remember my sister was once told by a (grocery) store employee that she looked 'high dollar' (she was wearing a leather skirt at the time) :ninja: I tend to wear suede only ... I'm sure it's quite possible to wear leather without leaving that impression ... for whatever reason, wearing leather doesn't feel like me.

7. designerleather

designerleather New Member

Interesting discussion.

Nothing tight?

Maybe... But that gets extremely limited. Do colored tights, leggings or jeans count? What about a lose but micro-mini skirt?

This is a real hard subject to generalize. After all, what is Sexy? It can be in the eye of the beholder, but a lot has to do with the personality and person. I will see if I can find examples, but even from the "caught wearing the same outfit" threads, some looks are much better on on person than another.

I find tight sexy as long as it is tastefully done.

Also find that make-up goes a long way as to how the overall look comes together or doesn't.

I probably fall more into CandiDandi's view, one is fine, but not both tight, then again, there are always exceptions to the rule as well.

Also like make-up... The right footwear goes a long way to to which side of the line a look falls

8. fashionista-ta

^ Also how curvy you are ... you can get away with much more in some cases if you have fewer curves.

A lot has to do with the persona, I think. Wearing bondage-inspired and fetish-inspired clothes and accessories can be tricky ... but some people really have what it takes to pull it off. I don't find either of these looks appealing, because to me it's more than just clothes or shoes ... I take the history into account, and I don't find what I think of as the 'Amsterdam' look empowering or inspiring.

9. designerleather

Big time. Curves and body type have a ton to do with look. I think the hardest thing is you can love and outfit, but it just does not work with your body.

Fetish is tough. Very tough. Some people have the charisma, dynamic and look where they can pull it off. Lot of people do not. You can do some things to "reduce" the look as well. An example, I can think of two particular bustiers, one from Chanel, one from Gucci, which are close to being leather corsets. For most people, I would recommend wearing these as a top under a silk, crepe or other softer non-leather material, suit.

LOL @ 'Amsterdam' look.

On the leather, is it sexy or trampy... a TON of this comes to the leather itself. I think some of it is just the visual quality of the better leather, or the other nuances such a cut, lines, and styling, but I can really see how this can play a big part.

A tighter black leather pencil skirt will give you one look versus say a similar length wrap skirt by Ann Demuelemeester. Both leather. Both similar length and even if I went with a looser A-line or straight skirt instead of pencil in the first selection, the feel of the two are very different.

10. Florecita86

Florecita86 New Member

Well said, I agree ^_^

You really don't have to show alot of skin to be sexy. I say say away from anything Hervé Léger-esque:p

11. brokenenglish

brokenenglish Deep Red Bells

The Herve-Leger dresses are a great example of how thin the line is and how easy it is to cross it. Some people wear those dresses and look drop dead sexy and others come across looking like hookers.

I think the difference btw sexy and hoochie usually lies in the person.

#11 brokenenglish, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : May 21, 2009
  12. Feline

Feline rock-chic

Make-up and accessories make a difference. Cheap-looking tacky shoes & bags and overdone make-up can make an outfit rather 'prozziesque' (mine & friends word) where elegant, stylish accessories and make-up can make the same outfit sexy.

13. Hanne

Hanne Storm & Sommer

I agree on your points about curves and persona..

Daphne Guinness is someone who walks on the edge..
    View attachment 451599
    flickr - La'J

if you cropped the picture in half.. and just looked at the bottom part (and left out the expensive bag..
    I think most would be inclined to think that that was just some glamour girl.. in hooker mary janes and stockings..)
    ..but combined.. with her conservative upper body garments, her body and persona she sents such a mixed signal..
    glamour girl and buttoned up conservative that it sort of cancels each other out.. and become this 'other thing'.

..not sure if I think it's sexy.. but 'tramp' isn't the first word that would come to my mind either..

Attached Files:

#13 Hanne, May 21, 2009
    Last edited by moderator ksnodgress: May 21, 2009
  14. designerleather

I think if she ditched the platform for more of a refined pump, she would get a lot closer to the sexy side of the line... or at least not so high of a platform.

Then again, at least they are not the clear plastic platform shoes... Now those scream and not in a good way.

15. MissMagAddict

MissMagAddict The future is stupid

Exactly!

16. ChloeFrancoise

ChloeFrancoise New Member

It lies in the person, but some outfits will scream hoochie no matter who wears it.

17. pinksatin

pinksatin New Member

This is true, but on the other side of the token, some people will look sexy no matter what outfit they are wearing. I do think it has a lot to do with the persona. Some people just have a sexy energy. And I think there are different kinds of it. Like overtly traffic-stopping sexy or subtle, who-is that-girl sexy. Sorry, it's hard to explain since it's so subjective what people think is sexy, but that is what I think.:flower:

18. Legyviel

Legyviel in the mood for love

hmm... for me its all about the balance.. if i'm showing my legs, I prefer wearing a long sleeved top, if i'm wearing a mini skirt i usually choose flats (or wear heels with black tights). Some people feel that fine line, some don't. Some are always sexy (but not hookers) some can't pull it off and either go for cute or do make a mistake and look cheap. ;)

A couple of months ago I was in the cinema in glasgow and i noticed a couple of girls in the HIGHEST of heels (black patent), one was wearing a skin-tight black mini-dress, the other had black shorts on, both had done their hair and makeup.. and they looked silly there. I dont think they looked very hookerish but they looked soo out of place! I guess there are occasions for super sexy looks too, but cinema wasnt one of those. :D

19. Les_Sucettes

Les_Sucettes Well-Known Member

I do not know, I think it depends on the persons style and personality in the first place and much less about the clothes who will turn out to look cheap. You can dress Megan Fox in a pair of jeans and a loose shirt and she'll always look like a hooker, while someone like Charlotte Gainsbourg will look understated chic. A Balmain dress in some persons make them look like streewalkers in others simply "good" sexy...

20. fashionista-ta

^ Megan is on the cover of the new Elle, right? I didn't think she looked like a hooker at all ... though she certainly does have sexy oozing from her pores ;)