How to look stylish on a bicycle?

i ride my bike almost every day, and i have never ever worn a helmet.. nobody wears one here in the netherlands. sometimes i see tourists with helmets on and i cant help but think they look a bit ridiculous :innocent:
but i understand there are places where riding a bike is more dangerous..

i ride my bike almost every day, and i have never ever worn a helmet.. nobody wears one here in the netherlands. sometimes i see tourists with helmets on and i cant help but think they look a bit ridiculous :innocent:
but i understand there are places where riding a bike is more dangerous..

I know! However I find the most dangerous thing while biking is people on bikes who aren't used to riding one. They should wear helmets (and the people around them too :rolleyes:) because they uisually are a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

I do pretty much everything by bike, but I don't have things I do or do not wear when biking. Guess it's much easier for men, cycling in a skirt just doesn't seem practical (never tried it though :lol:) especially with wind and all.

U1193870INP.jpg

Katharine Hepburn.

I bike to school and work and to eat every day because I don't have a car, and I can bike in pretty much anything except super super super mini skirts. The 5 inch stilettos are kind of a pain, but you get used to it ... :D

No one in the Netherlands wears a helmet over the age of 5 :P

I honestly don't even factor in my commute on a bike when I pick clothes to wear in the morning. Like on most Dutch bikes, my bikechain is covered by a chainguard, so I don't really have to worry about a pant leg getting caught. I've also worn minis and flowy skirts without any remorse. Have I flashed a few people while trying to get on-and-off of my bike? Well, yeah, probably. But c'est la vie! :P

In the US, I don't think you can get away with flashing people unfortunately. I just put a pair of bike shorts or leggings underneath if I'm wearing a skirt or dress. Shorts, capris, and jeans must be stretchy or it's super-uncomfortable.

i don't wear skirts much other than a-line ones, and generally i just skip it and wear skinny pants and flat shoes. my bfriend got me wonderful women's biking gloves for the winter in Brooklyn-to-Manhattan, this is the first winter i'm biking in jan and feb.

good exercise, plus i get used to the independence. but def. a more casual wardrobe getting over the east river bridges.

pic: probikekit.com

Attachments

• C0789.jpg
    C0789.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
I have to wear a helmet...I've been nearly hit several times.I don't care a fig if I look silly.But I dress better than the triathletes in training!

I don´t get why people think helmet is child-is and looks stupid.
do you think that when you get hit and/or fall down and hit your head?
I rather wear helmet and keep my head protected.

If I wear skirts or dress just put leggings underneath!

rapha, the super stylish (and expensive) biking line finally has a women's line out. unfortunately it's only the sporty stuff. i'm waiting for a nice non-sporty rain jacket with:
1. back vents 2. longer cut in back 3. a hood. 4. black/greyish color

any idea on a good rain anorak for biking? something lightweight you can throw/fold up in your bag. then my biking look/world domination will be (nearly) complete:evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Helmets just don't look cool sometimes... They're not trendy for bikers around here or anywhere really. I mean you guys who are fashion lovers should understand they look "lame"! Only Police bikers wear them... Sure they are a security must but no one really wants to wear them unless you're 4 and your mom makes you to.

i don't think we should argue about helmets: yay or nay.

each biking location is different in terms of safety. believe me, if i didn't feel it necessary to wear a helmet in manhattan, i wouldn't.

perhaps we should concentrate on all the diverse elements of biking style, and fold stylish helmets into the discussion as we find them :smile:

If you are biking in a shorter skirt you might want to wear bike shorts/spandex underneath it. So when you are biking, you wont flash someone. I noticed when ever I biked in a skirt it tended to ride up, so I started wearing spandex underneath it, it makes me feel more comfortable when biking.

i have a bern helmet (pictured on page 1) and i love it! the green one above is cute, but a bit busy.

and i agree about flashing. i did it today with a too short skirt and felt awkward the whole ride.

even though i have a front basket, i only buy bags messenger style now just in case i need the basket for groceries and then i sling the bag over my shoulder. just got this (im)practical genvieve jones bag:

http://www.pinkmascara.com

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 0
Bought this helmet in white (couldn't get black which I think is nicer). I think it's cute though:
8vriva.jpg

- wiggle.co.uk

I didn't understand this topic when I saw the title, but I understand now!
We don't wear helmets in Holland, so I get to wear whatever I want. And I use my bike everyday for anything; grocery shopping, going to my boyfriend etc..

On my bicycle by thelabelqueen, on Flickr

But in a fashionable way; I see so many ppl being way more creative in actually dying their bikes and having these special details that make it look vintage etc.
Like brown things around the pedals so they can wear heals. I don't own those unfortunately. Don't know where to get them.
I used to actually bike with my CL's on, but slipped a lot, so the soles are completely damaged. Wouldn't ever do that again w/ new ones.

I just think about hair really, when I think about the helmets. Ponytails and straightened hair. Otherwise the blowdrying will be for nothing.
How would you guys 'save' your hair-do?

what to wear? nothing! CYCLE NAKED!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->