"How to wear clothes"

Couture_Tribe

Reaction score
I constantly hear people on this forum saying wear your clothes with confidence, attitude, edgy etc. etc. But I just can't figure out what exactly it means.... Does it mean you just walk down the street looking disdainful, head-up, stick out your chest? :huh: :huh: :huh:
How do you tell when someone pulled off their outfits? :doh: :doh:

How does effortless look like?

What exactly it means?

What are some examples?

Oh and please please feel free to merge this if it already exists, I apologize.

For me, it's means that you have to wear clothes you're comfortable in, that reflect your style and personality... For example, if you're wearing a hat that you saw on somebody else and it looked good on that person, but you're not sure it fits your style or you are worried that people will laugh about it/you, you are self-conscious and don't wear it 'with attitude'... If you want people to think "wow, she's got a great style, attitude and fashion sense", you'll have to find the clothes you feel comfortable in and wear them as if you are the most gorgeous girl in the world (which I'm sure you are anyway :wink:) Plus, only wear things you are sure they fit, because if you're starting to pick at your clothes and constantly check if they are still on the right place, people will notice and it seems as if your uneasy about your looks/clothes...
:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
This reminds me of 'Men in Black', when Will Smith first puts on 'the last suit he'll ever wear', and turning to Tommy Lee Jones, says, "You know the difference between the two of us? I make this look good."
I know that's an odd reference, but in a way, that's the attitude you need to have when wearing an outfit: You make it look good. It can't be the mirror telling you that, either; self consciousness can too easily come into play. It simply has to be an immutable fact.
I think that's actually the difference between someone who wears clothes very well, and someone like Paris Hilton. Paris likes to scream at everyone that she makes the outfit look good, and by doing so, means to convince the public she's right, whereas someone with a bit more style and class simply knows, and assumes everyone else simply agrees.

I think that someone who pulls off an outfit is someone who knows that they make the outfit look good. I was someone who was really scared to take style risks when I was younger, but I gradually started to take more risks. By the time it was senior year it was known that I would take style risks and I would add things like funky jackets, stockings, or hats.

The people with effortless style are the ones who know what works for their body and what doesn't, people who are not slaves to trends. They are the ones who will wear unusual pieces because they think it is fun, but they won't do anything grossly inappropriate. They are people who are not worried what others will think.

effortless means- to not try too hard. to wear clothes with as little effort and look good, is something only the very few possess. and i dont think this is a natural talent thing. i think this can be cultivated.

voodoo_mary said:
i think this can be cultivated.
Yes, i agree. U can try by reading more magazines, know the do-s and dont-s, how to mix and match. and be true to yrself, this way, u r sure to find yr own style!

I think its about wearing something and then forgetting about it. If something doesn't fit or looks bad you'll constantly be thinking about it whilst you wear it.

^ yes agree completely- u gotta know when to "LET IT GO" (there's a chinese saying that forcing will only make you unhappy) and dressing up is 70% wearing something that makes U FEEL confident about yourself (or pleased with yourself) this varies from person to person. i love the whole legging trend, but i'll never be able to make this work for myself. well, at least i TRIED it once, but it's jus not me. i know i can pull it off, but i don't feel as CONFIDENT or pleased with myself as compared to the feeling i get when i'm in an ultra feminine dress.

in short- i DONT feel that wearing clothes with confidence = looking good
i feel that looking good (wearin something u like, doesnt hav to be super trendy or popular ) = confidence.

oh, i hope i'm not going off a tangent.

Great topic! :flower: If someone knows that we have this in another thread, let me know and I will merge.

misstarshine said:
I think its about wearing something and then forgetting about it...

I think that's a huge part of it.

why_fashion said:
How do you tell when someone pulled off their outfits?

This is a great question and I think in a lot of cases, it's a matter of opinion. The same person might look effortlessly, brilliantly chic to one person and like a pretentious fool to another. I think you have to form your own opinion, or recognize it if it is already formed.

Understanding what you like, what works for you, where the two intersect, and feeling confident in your clothes are all essential.

*Princesse* said:
This reminds me of 'Men in Black', when Will Smith first puts on 'the last suit he'll ever wear', and turning to Tommy Lee Jones, says, "You know the difference between the two of us? I make this look good."
I know that's an odd reference, but in a way, that's the attitude you need to have when wearing an outfit: You make it look good. It can't be the mirror telling you that, either; self consciousness can too easily come into play. It simply has to be an immutable fact.
I think that's actually the difference between someone who wears clothes very well, and someone like Paris Hilton. Paris likes to scream at everyone that she makes the outfit look good, and by doing so, means to convince the public she's right, whereas someone with a bit more style and class simply knows, and assumes everyone else simply agrees.

that's well said about how Paris flaunts it, but in a way, that is included as her style of being a show off :P

:heart: will smith and his confidence =:(D

this is such a hard Q to answer . . . it's all very subjective
most definitely, for me, it's something that you notice when you see it . .
involving some je ne sais quoi! ;]
like voodoo said it's not all about projecting 'confidence'
a certain amount is linked in with knowing yourself & what suits you best
if you can pin that down, only then will you be truly effortless
then again if you feel secure in what you're wearing then you will project confidence anyway
the difference lies between those who really are secure in themselves
& those who are just putting on an air of confidence
it's quite a noticeable difference if you're tuned into it. ;]

Then if I just have to alter my pants a bite every time I sit down or stand up, is this considered too much? Not effortless? If you wear skirt/dress, you have to watch the way you sit and where you sit, so that can't be effortless?

^ for me, thats too much awareness of what i'm wearing ! i dont think i could be in my own skin comfortably, if i am always watching if my skirt is riding up or not, or if my pants are soo tight, everyone knows what underwear i have on. and i think i'm going to make my husband feel so v uncomfortable that he will be watching OVER me all the time. in short, neither one of us will be having a good time.
i'm never sure if i project a "stylish" image. i've always ONLY picked to wear what i like and am comfortable in. does that make me effortless? not really- i take alot of time coordinating stuff! esp accesssories cos i have too many to choose from. i think putting together a look is not going to be effortless for all of us.if it us, most of us would be in a uniform of jeans and t-shirt all the time

The way I think of it is just kind of like the attitude when someone wears clothing. For example, I always see people trying to be fashionable by wearing a Lacoste polo, but for some reason it looks off. They look like they're trying to hard and they look kind of uncomfortable, like they're trying to draw attention to it but not so obviously. Other people can wear a Lacoste polo and it just looks like they just threw the first thing they had one which in reality they didn't.

I don't really know how to explain it I guess. It's kind of complicated.

i think everyone should be confident in what they wear, if it's THEM.
if it isn't them, they would probaby feel unconfident.
but if someone wears something with confidence, but i knoe it's not them, as in style....then soemthings wrong and it's not worn RIGHT

voodoo_mary said:
...i think putting together a look is not going to be effortless for all of us.if it us, most of us would be in a uniform of jeans and t-shirt all the time

:innocent:

Wear it like you're rule. Wear it with confidence and a smile. People always fall in love with your smile. Wear it like you own it and you can't care less about what they think. Wear it effortlessly.

voodoo_mary said:
tang- :smile: i didnt mean it that way... :(...

I am not at all offended, I am laughing at myself! I am lazy... :flower:

No worries! :heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
murmuration
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->