If you could change designers at Fashion houses, who would you change?

Eccentricity

Reaction score
Within my opinion, many houses are in rapid decline owing soley to estranged or mislead creative direction from designers in question. Of course, such is not the only factor to their lack of profitability, but it is a significant part in wether a collection generates revenue or not each season.

Christian Dior/ John Galliano to Christian Dior/ Karl Lagerfeld
I believe Karl has the sufficent innovative nature to revive this once thriving fashion house which has become a platform for Galliano's egotisim (usually confused with creative flair). Galliano is simply not commercial enough. He is suited to coutoure and should be restricted to that. This house is in need of refinment!

Either Karl or Alexander Mcqueen, who retains a sense of creativity yet creates wearable garments, would help in Dior's future sucsession.

Chloe / Creative team to Chloe/ Roland Mouret
Following such a dank, bleak and henious Winter 2006 collection i believe Chloe is in need of a new anchor. As vogue put it correctly, the collection was void of the imperative "Phillo magic" as restricted with a dominantly grey colour pallete and awful platform heels as if to compensate for the mediocracy of the clothing. Roland Mouret undeniably maintains the talent and vision to thrust Chloe back into the forefront of Paris's most prestigious and "hip" fashion houses.

Other possibilities:
Armani = Narciso Rodriguez (at retirment)
Versace = Tom Ford
Fendi = Dolce & Gabanna
Emolio Pucci = Jean Paul Gaultier or Alessandro Dell'aqua
Bill Blass = Zac Posen (a challenge i feel he will thrive upon and progress beyond his own mundane line)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Karl Lagerfield would be one extremely busy man!

Tom Ford would be an intersesting replacement at Versace:P

i would like christian lacriox do dior
i cant imagine tom at versace...o_o

Versace = Tom Ford<
Fendi = Dolce & Gabanna

:sick: :sick:

I think Karl is doing a wonderful job at Fendi, but even if he wasn't,
i'd never like to see D&G take over, i dont want a big "D&G"
stamped on my spy bag! :innocent:

As far as Versace is concerned, i think Donatella might be making a
comeback, i really liked her fw06/07 collection, i just hope she keeps
going in this direction, if not theyll def need to get rid of her, but
I can't see Tom Ford replacing her, I think Versace needs to be refined a little, not sexed up ^_^

karl or mcqueen for dior would be hott tho, although I do like Galliano from an artistic standpoint, from a practical one he needs to go :smile:

Dior Femme & Couture- Hedi Slimane
Pucci- Eley Kishimoto
Celine- Jack Mcoullogh and Lazaro Hernandez
Givenchy- Roland Mouret
Versace- Alexander Mcqueen

those are the only labels whose current designers I have beef with.

I actually would love to see Mouret at Givenchy, that could produce some amazing results.

Other then that I wouldn't want to see any other house replace their designers because I either like what they're doing, or couldn't imagine them anywhere else.

For instance, I'd love to see something new from Chanel, but I can't imagine who would be a good fit for the house.

Actually, and this may seem crazy, but I'd be interested to see Ozwald Boateng do Chanel rtw. His mens tailoring is great, so I'd be curious to see him tackle the Chanel suit.

As for this thread, I just feel like it's gonna be the same old complaints about designers that are generally despised on the spot for whatever reason, it seems a bit pointless to me like, same old conversion that doesn't go anywhere.

Tom Ford at Versace??? U MUST be joking, Versace is making a comeback but slowly, and the last thing it needs is a dangerous turn with Ford, hes hardly that inventive and most of his stuff is so weird (in a bad way). Donatella is good on her own, her 05 Winter and 06 Spring RTW were soooo pretty.

Hedi Slimane for Dior femme and couture? :yuk:

I'd like to see Viktor & Rolf for Dior Homme ^_^

You and me both...! And a lot of other people would as well.

^ditto!

I don't know anybody else,really. What's the problem with Tisci at Givenchy....I think he's doing a fine job despite being such a premature move before he really had the oppurtunity to fully developed his own collection and aesthetics. Personally,I would rather much not see McQueen design another house at all. I don't think he was ever that thrilled with designing under another label with a bunch of suits controlling him.

I'd sack galliano...

I'd exorcise Karl Lagerfeld. Bathing in the blood of virgins, to gain eternal life, just isn't right...

Can we have Slimane to the Y to the S to the L (Homme) please? It might wean him off his druggy-boys.

Mutterlein said:
Dior Femme & Couture- Hedi Slimane
Pucci- Eley Kishimoto
Celine- Jack Mcoullogh and Lazaro Hernandez
Givenchy- Roland Mouret
Versace- Alexander Mcqueen

those are the only labels whose current designers I have beef with.

I like that idea. :smile:

helena said:
I'd sack galliano.....

Based on that last collection, I would too. :rolleyes:

Galliano? Nooooo don't touch my Galliano!!!

Oops sorry my possessive side took over. *whacks possessive demon away into oblivion*

Anyway, being relatively new to fashion, I doubt my suggestions make much sense but I'd probably make the following changes:

1) Louis Vuitton / Marc Jacobs => Louis Vuitton / Tom Ford
2) Emilio Pucci / Matthew Williamson => Emilio Pucci / Christian Lacroix

To explain, I'd get rid of Marc Jacobs because frankly, his latest collections are somewhat lacklustre - minimalism in fashion is simple yet artistic and wearable, but Marc Jacobs' minimalism for Louis Vuitton is plain - too plain. Tom Ford established Gucci as sleek and sexy and I'm sure he can do something for Louis Vuitton as well - it doesn't have to be p*rno-sexy, but he should be able to inject some sleekness into the simplicity that Marc Jacobs has set up at Louis Vuitton.

As for the change of Emilio Pucci's head of design to Christian Lacroix, it's mainly based on the fact that somehow Matthew Williamson doesn't seem to have much individual flair and style as Christian Lacroix. I guess I sound very pompous (indeed, I am not very familiar with Williamson's works and have only seen a handful) but I believe Lacroix can make Pucci elegant and classy (and classic, as well).

Hedi Slimane for YSL rive gauche both femme & homme

helena said:
I'd sack galliano.....

His collections are going on decline ... Im not sure who'd be good for Dior .. I mean .. before Galliano .. who was there? Gianfranco Ferre? ... I think Oscar de la Renta would be OK for the -older- Dior clientelle (read Couture) ... but not sure who can carry the legacy ... Theyskens? Hum ....dunno.

McQueen hated doing Givenchy ... and Tisci IS great ... I think McQueen wouldnt want to do someone else's house ... I think he got skinny after all the sweat he shed when Tom Ford left Gucci and the Group was thinking about a lateral move for him ...

I do think that Lacroix was better then Williamson for Pucci ... and didnt someone mentioned McDonald for Versace in the past? I mean ... if the tiara fits .... :innocent:

helena said:
I'd sack galliano.....

joining in.. :wink:

i'd also retire Karl Lagerfeld, D&G and Donatella for good

i'd like to see
*Martin Grant at Dior or Balenciaga (femme)
*Tisci and Elbaz should go solo with their own line
*Erotokritos for Moschino
*Nicolas G. for Chloe
*V&R at ysl (not that i dont like Pilati)

For me, it's the following:

*Nicolas Andreas Taralis at Dior Homme
*Sophia Kokosalaki at Madeleine Vionnet
*Hedi Slimane at YSL (preferably doing his own thing, though)
*Jens Laugesen at Helmut Lang (in case that the man himself is not coming back)
*Narciso Rodriguez at Jil Sander
*Christopher Kane taking over Versace entirely

Lena said:
joining in.. :wink:

i'd also retire Karl Lagerfeld, D&G and Donatella for good

i'd like to see
*Martin Grant at Dior or Balenciaga (femme)
*Tisci and Elbaz should go solo with their own line
*Erotokritos for Moschino
*Nicolas G. for Chloe
*V&R at ysl (not that i dont like Pilati)

Good points,Lena!

I do wish Tisci and Elbaz would do their own. Of course,in my world,I would have all these young designers back doing their own stuff,though :lol: Tisci being too soon for a house and not having time to develop his own. And it's about time,for Elbaz,really....he's been designing under other people's names for much too long.

Antoni + Alison at Moschino is another good suggestion? They've been floating heavily under the radar lately and they could inject some of that unabsahed cheekiness and humour back into Moschino again.

While I'm on the subject,I'm thinking about Elsa Schiaparelli. I wish they get somebody in to revive her spirit. I think Bernhard could if he were to revisit some of that initial BW wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sfan
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->