Designers You Miss

Originally posted by Spike413@Oct 31 2004, 06:49 PM
Although he's not toally gone, I wish he would maintain his presence....Alaia.
[snapback]412946[/snapback]​

oh, he's been totally turned around not that he's owned (by Prada?). his stuff is in stores, gorgeous as wever.

Yeah, I know he always has pieces that show up in stores, but I wish he'd have a runway show every season.

Spike,I totally agree with you on that one :wink:

I would also add,strictly because of his unabashed vision,Theirry Mugler. His hand on the power suit is the ultimate fashion image for me.

Originally posted by Hanne@Oct 31 2004, 04:54 AM
I miss Thierry Muglers runway shows..his collections through the 90ies were so full of fantasy and makebelieve.
[snapback]412235[/snapback]​

I see Hanne and I share the same opinion on him :wink:

i don't think alaia ever did a traditional runway show...just a small showing in his studio... it might be nice...but i understand his desire to work on his own schedule...and not adhere to the fashion calendar...

i am particularly biased against mugler...he was incredibly horrible to a good friend of mine...he is terribly arrogant... and he lost it years ago...imo...

i loved some of his stuff back in the day...

Originally posted by faust@Oct 31 2004, 06:46 PM
:lol: See what you've started, Scott?
[snapback]412942[/snapback]​

:lol:

Oh well. I just hope it doesn't get turned into a Tom Ford board...please!!!

i miss claude montana and romeo gigli and cathy hardwick who used to do these beautiful jersey dresses...

i forgot about matsuda, faust...

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 31 2004, 11:02 PM
i am particularly biased against mugler...he was incredibly horrible to a good friend of mine...he is terribly arrogant... and he lost it years ago...imo...

i loved some of his stuff back in the day...
[snapback]413208[/snapback]​

I agree. His work till maybe the mid-90's was pure magic....then it went completely down after that. I'm not surprised to hear he is arrogant.

a few years back the mugler atelier got a call from a stylist in new york...she was working on a new television series and wanted to borrow some clothes...he thought it wasn't important and sent only a few ugly old pieces that were laying around..

the stylist was pat fields and the show was sex and the city...

then, an actress personally requested that mugler design her wedding gown as she had been a huge fan since the 80's...he declined...he wasn't interested...

the actress was catherine zeta jones who was marrying michael douglas...

this guy is his own worst enemy...he deserves to be out of business...as far as i'm concerned... :ninja:

Originally posted by softgrey@Oct 31 2004, 11:15 PM
a few years back the mugler atelier got a call from a stylist in new york...she was working on a new television series and wanted to borrow some clothes...he thought it wasn't important and sent only a few ugly old pieces that were laying around..

the stylist was pat fields and the show was sex and the city...

then, an actress personally requested that mugler design her wedding gown as she had been a huge fan since the 80's...he declined...he wasn't interested...

the actress was catherine zeta jones who was marrying michael douglas...

this guy is his own worst enemy...he deserves to be out of business...as far as i'm concerned... :ninja:
[snapback]413221[/snapback]​
Making mistakes like that is it any wonder he's not around anymore?

Originally posted by datura001@Nov 1 2004, 12:59 AM
Yves Saint Laurent, happy and healthy.
[snapback]413274[/snapback]​

good one... :flower:

the building that used to be Matsuda flagship store turned D & G.
sad

I don't know Soft,I think Theirry was at a point in which he was totally quiet(almost reclusive)about what he was doing. Perhaps the creating "hype" of all that is what didn't interest him anymore??

Originally posted by runner@Nov 1 2004, 04:58 AM
the building that used to be Matsuda flagship store turned D & G.
sad
[snapback]413418[/snapback]​

Indeed. People in Japan buy that trash?

Oh yeah they do.

Runner,I've been wanting to ask you,I have a few friends who have been telling me that in Japan the way people shop is completely the opposite of the way people in the Western world shop. Meaning,generally people follow the trends of their magazines but only its with Avant-Garde and indie designers. Would that be a fair assesment?

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 1 2004, 10:49 AM
I don't know Soft,I think Theirry was at a point in which he was totally quiet(almost reclusive)about what he was doing. Perhaps the creating "hype" of all that is what didn't interest him anymore??
[snapback]413610[/snapback]​

reclusive?!... :blink: you just didn't see him because the clothes were hideous so no one covered them and he was always off partying with a gaggle of young boys somewhere in spain...apparently he was pissed off that he wasn't getting so much attention anymore...

one of my best friends worked there...she was hired to try to save the company from going out of business...but he refused to work with her(ego)...so the following year clarins(the parent company) closed down the business...

that's the facts, jack... :wink: :P

Originally posted by Scott@Nov 1 2004, 02:01 PM
Oh yeah they do.

Runner,I've been wanting to ask you,I have a few friends who have been telling me that in Japan the way people shop is completely the opposite of the way people in the Western world shop. Meaning,generally people follow the trends of their magazines but only its with Avant-Garde and indie designers. Would that be a fair assesment?
[snapback]413838[/snapback]​
you know not a few people here love LV, Hermes, and even D&G. and as mishahoi said in another thread, most people are not ones such as would wear avant-garde nor indie designer pieces.
but, on the other hand, this is where you see the sweeping sales of those kinds of indie, avant-garde designers' in comparison with another world. I heard 95 percent or over of Vivienne W sold here at one time. also Gaultier said most of his skirts for men did.
and it is true that some people follow magazines' trends with avant-garde or indie ones, but first of all, those magazines do follow the trends of people who are ahead. strictly speaking, I can't tell what would precede all though, because now things here exist in a chaotic state. at least magazines take some time to appear.

Originally posted by runner@Nov 2 2004, 10:27 AM
you know not a few people here love LV, Hermes, and even D&G. and as mishahoi said in another thread, most people are not ones such as would wear avant-garde nor indie designer pieces.
but, on the other hand, this is where you see the sweeping sales of those kinds of indie, avant-garde designers' in comparison with another world. I heard 95 percent or over of Vivienne W sold here at one time. also Gaultier said most of his skirts for men did.
and it is true that some people follow magazines' trends with avant-garde or indie ones, but first of all, those magazines do follow the trends of people who are ahead. strictly speaking, I can't tell what would precede all though, because now things here exist in a chaotic state. at least magazines take some time to appear.
[snapback]414924[/snapback]​

runner, from my observations and conversations with my parents who regularly go to Japan, it seems that Japanese people in general prefer wearing European brands and are less inclined to local designers like Comme, Yohji, Undercover, etc...have you noticed this? What do you think about this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellbendcat69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->