In Vogue: The 90s (Hulu & Disney+)

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score
A new two-part series dropping on Disney+ (in the UK and other countries) and Hulu (in America) on September 13:

Reactions: KoV
6-parts sounds like way too much for a documentary like this, but I'll be watching (eventually).

Vanity Fair Digital Edition

Very excited for this! Anna, Edward, Hamish, and Tonne are listed in the “cast” as hosts on IMDB. About 30 other mostly A-list celebrities and designers are also listed as cast members. I wonder if they are talking heads or if they just appear in archive footage.

Here's the official trailer:

Has anyone watched? I’m on episode 3 where fashion meets Hollywood. I’m enjoying it so far.

I have watched 3 episodes & it’s boring. I feel I’m watching a documentary on how we ruined Vogue - you can see it on Hamish Bowles & Grace Coddington’s faces & in their tone of voice. Gwyneth Paltrow’s comment that she started the celebrity covers of Vogue is incredulous. I’m pretty sure Julia Roberts; Demi Moore; Julia Ormond; Michelle Pfeiffer; Kim Basinger; Winona Ryder; Sharon Stone & Geena Davis had covers prior to Gwyneth in the 90s. Also that’s not to mention the actresses like Elizabeth Taylor; Cher; Farrah Fawcett et al from previous decades that had multiple covers.
My own personal opinion is Vogue went downhill somewhere in the late nineties & this documentary is just giving credence to my views & the reasons why.

I have watched 3 episodes & it’s boring. I feel I’m watching a documentary on how we ruined Vogue - you can see it on Hamish Bowles & Grace Coddington’s faces & in their tone of voice. Gwyneth Paltrow’s comment that she started the celebrity covers of Vogue is incredulous. I’m pretty sure Julia Roberts; Demi Moore; Julia Ormond; Michelle Pfeiffer; Kim Basinger; Winona Ryder; Sharon Stone & Geena Davis had covers prior to Gwyneth in the 90s. Also that’s not to mention the actresses like Elizabeth Taylor; Cher; Farrah Fawcett et al from previous decades that had multiple covers.
My own personal opinion is Vogue went downhill somewhere in the late nineties & this documentary is just giving credence to my views & the reasons why.
Nope, none of them had a cover before Gwyneth.

I was thinking maybe, to give Gwyneth credit, she'd had the first September cover as a celeb. But no! Renée Zellweger had one the year prior.

Nope, none of them had a cover before Gwyneth.

Gwyneth’s cover was August 1996.
From the 1960’s there have been actresses / celebrities on the cover of US Vogue. Audrey Hepburn in 1964; Barbara Streisand in 1966; Mia Farrow & Candice Bergen in 1967 & 1969; Goldie Hawn; Jacqueline Bisset in 1969. Cher; Farah Fawcett; Jaclyn Smith; Elizabeth Taylor; Sophia Loren & Cybill Shepherd had multiple covers in the 70s. Only Madonna had a cover in the late 80s - the models reigned supreme. Then the 90’s had multiple celebrities even Princess Diana & Ivana Trump prior to Gwyneth. A quick flip through Vogue archives one can see all the covers from 1890 :cool:
Source: vogue.archives
IMG_0449.jpeg IMG_0450.jpeg IMG_0451.jpeg IMG_0452.jpeg

It's an interesting bit of revisionism, perhaps the approach is - repeat the idea often enough and it'll become truth in the minds of other people.

It relies on people thinking that Sharon Stone, Demi Moore and Julia Roberts had no star power whatsoever in the early 90s, and that supermodels themselves didn't have media fame on the level of minor celebrities...

It's an interesting bit of revisionism, perhaps the approach is - repeat the idea often enough and it'll become truth in the minds of other people.

It relies on people thinking that Sharon Stone, Demi Moore and Julia Roberts had no star power whatsoever in the early 90s, and that supermodels themselves didn't have media fame on the level of minor celebrities...
I totally agree with your comment. I would even contend that Heather Locklear (Melrose Place); Gillian Anderson (x Files) & Jennifer Aniston (Friends) were bigger celebrities then Gwyneth. She just happened to be dating Brad Pitt & that is what catapulted her ahead of the rest. Same with Nicole Kidman - married to Tom Cruise. Even Drew Barrymore & Teri Hatcher (Lois & Clark) were bigger stars then Gwyneth at the time. I remember when Uma Thurman wore a lavender Prada dress at the 1995 Oscars - this is when people started to take note of the red carpet & what actress’ wore.
The supermodels were in their own lane but by 95/96 the era had gone - IMHO.

At least they didn't make up covers, what was that documentary recently where they (the filmmakers/not Vogue, I don't think it was a documentary affiliated with Vogue) made fake Vogue/magazine covers to prove their point? Does anyone remember the documentary I'm thinking of? I can't remember it. :lol:

It's too bad we'd never get a documentary series about Vogue in other decades, pre-Anna, when it was more interesting. Anna, Anna, Anna!!

Last edited:
At least they didn't make up covers, what was that documentary recently where they (the filmmakers/not Vogue, I don't think it was a documentary affiliated with Vogue) made fake Vogue/magazine covers to prove their point? Does anyone remember the documentary I'm thinking of? I can't remember it. :lol:

It's too bad we'd never get a documentary series about Vogue in other decades, pre-Anna, when it was more interesting. Anna, Anna, Anna!!
Supreme Models - it’s on Vogue’s YouTube channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patda02
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->