Industrie Magazine Premiere Issue : Anna Wintour

^ I don't, particularly. Obviously as a member of the fashion spot I am interested in reading what the members here write and have to say. But I absolutely agree that at the end of the day, I would take the opinion of someone who had worked as a critic for years and years more seriously than I would the opinions of the members here. Anyone can join TFS and trash on American Vogue or their least favorite model; not everyone can work their way up the ladder and become the main fashion critic at the NYT. Respecting that position and the experience it stands for makes sense in my mind, even if you disagree with what Horyn says. Even if you don't respect Horyn more, you might admit that hers is a different kind of opinion--anyone, young or old, ignorant or educated, can join TFS (or apply to join it, at least), and the ease of gaining membership here means that the value of the opinions offered here decreases comparatively.

Yes, but frequently you will find that people get to a certain position based on other merits than those you would like.

In general, it's preferable to listen to what someone says rather than who says it. That, however, is not what makes you climb up the ladder. Obviously, it's more important to kick down and suck up in order to make a place for yourself in a competetive hierarchy. Personally I find the notion that you should ignore those who don't participate in the rat race because it doesn't benefit your career rather silly. It's something I would expect from the less talented Vogue staff.

Again, it makes sense if you want to reach the most prestigious positions, but if you are interested in fashion and art itself....I don't really see why you should look only to WHO says something....

^ I don't completely disagree with your suggestion that we focus on what someone says rather than who is doing the talking, but I do find it troubling because you say 'rather', as if we had to pick between one or the other, and then later say 'only', again as if these were two mutually exclusive endeavors. You can definitely grasp the substance of what someone says without noticing what position they occupy in life--but those analyses that take the latter facts into account are, in my opinion, more interesting.

Your dismissal of the inherent value of critics' opinions because they are in a competitive hierarchy is in fact such an argument. If I'm reading you correctly, your point centers on who critics are (people who have to write for a living, and compete with others who also want to do this) and how it might influence what they say. It's an interesting point, but in the process of making it you seem to have done exactly the opposite of what you suggest is preferable. No matter -- again, I find such arguments more interesting than those that would place all commenters on equal footing (after all, all the commenters aren't on equal footing.).

It's easy to find counterexamples (thank you berlinrocks) where members offer incredibly insightful comments (I think the most interesting ones i've read tend to be from those who actually know about clothing construction in the Designers and Collections forum), but suggesting that it's only a matter of sorting out the riffraff from the valuable insights is not really a good counterargument. In suggesting we sort through it, you're acknowledging what Katie Grand argues--which is that there is riffraff and wading through it to find the best posts might not be worth the trouble for everyone (though you and I might take the time to do so).

^No, of course, some people have an easier time reading and sorting information than others. And, yes, more time on their hands.

No, you are wrong. I am not saying the same thing as Katie Grand. She is saying Cathy Horyn's opinion matters because Ms. Horyn writes for the number one liberal publication. It is Horyn's position and her many years in the business that warrants this claim. I am saying that some posts are better than others and the task is to weed out the good from the bad. I would even go so far as saying that having your favourite tFS members whose posts you read would be different as well....because then you are not basing your opinion on prestige, but on the collected wealth of what they have written.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Allure of Louboutin is Nadine Strittmatter

The Allure of Louboutin
Model: Nadine Strittmatter
Ph: Camilla Akrans
Styling: Sissy Vian

Is the editorial with Nadine in that same 1st issue of Industrie? This is great news!

How many issues are going to be released per year?

So the next issue comes out in November (if current issue came out in May)?

Can't wait for the next issue! Unfortunately, antivirus software on my laptop blocks me from accessing their website. Anyone else having problems accessing it?

^Yes, I'm getting the same problem accessing their website too.

The Next Issue is due out the 6th October.

I finally got ahold of my copy of the first issue (several months after I expected...but thats okay) and I cannot wait to read it front to back! I was wondering if anyone has a clue as to who will be on the next cover?

is there any place we can download the PDF for this magazine?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonHansen100
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->