Industrie Magazine Premiere Issue : Anna Wintour

^May I just add that some members are actually people working in the industry, people studying to work in this industry, and some are even journalists !
so at the end of the day, it's KT's issue if her brain is not enough efficient to make the difference btw someone serious and a teen who's posting a comment, because his/her fav model appears in the mag ...

and may I just add that those teens are probably the ones spending the most $$ on magazines ! When you know some have bought for instance all the covers of the naked LOVE !
just saying .....

how many people don't buy a magazine because they can see all the editorial content online?
this forum made me buy more magazines than you could thought of !

Last edited by a moderator:
I think to a certain extent it doesn't matter what people on TFS say because most of the times they tend to not explain their opinion. They'll just say 'I don't like it' or 'I loooove it' or 'this looks terrible' instead of explaining WHY they don't like it. Obviously the latter would be very valuable information for any editor-in-chief.

I don't really see how Katie says Cathy's opinion means more to her than the opinion of the average possible future Love reader. It's not like Cathy will buy 10,000 issues of Love on her own. She probably has a very different view on magazines than the average high fashion magazine reader. Who care what she writes? Possibly people who can't formulate their own opinion on things.

All in all, I found it a rather silly comment, it makes Katie come across as pretentious and elitist.

I second that :flower:
Many of mags is not even available here, and after seeing content or previews, I have buyed it.

(somebody is trying to find this mag in ebay, right now)

Maybe I misread it, because Katie Grand seemed to zig-zag with her comments. She seems to start off not putting too much store in opinions that are not Cathy Horyn but then she ends it with an "editor should be excited at the prospect of getting her hands on those opinions." Eh, I'll give her props for acknowledging the online community and particularly tFS.

I think it comes down simply to the fact that the people on here will buy the magazine. Critics wont. A critic's review is all good and well, but where are you without the people to buy it?

wow I was kinda surprised by Demarchelier's interview, but still I really enjoy his photographs

Oh yeah, me too! :lol: I wouldn't have one ickle idea who Katie Grand is, or what Love, Pop, or Dazed and Confused are if it wasn't for this forum. So I'm sure Katie has tfs (and other sites like it) to thank for a good amount of her popularity.

If it wasn't for tfs would Katie Grand even be well known enough to have an article in Industrie?

Actually could a magazine like Industrie even exist without sites like tfs? They wouldn't know they had a market would they? They can't actually sell to the industry, everyone working in fashion already knows most of this information.

Oh yeah, me too! :lol: I wouldn't have one ickle idea who Katie Grand is, or what Love, Pop, or Dazed and Confused are if it wasn't for this forum. So I'm sure Katie has tfs (and other sites like it) to thank for a good amount of her popularity.

agreed.. 100%

Those pictures of Daria and Lara are beautiful. No matter how many times we seen them naked, its always good.

Unfortunately I haven't seen this magazine anywhere. Nowhere to be seen in WHSmith of anywhere else.
Regardless I'm all for buying magazines, but for £7 this is not worth it. Half of it feels like copy and paste.

It was very interesting to read all your opinions about the magazine, Dear TFS members:wink: Some of you are people that i respect very much the opinion of...I do not always agree with it, but I could not resist to write what i think,too.
I have been buying magazines like crazy all my life...a forum like that would never make me start or stop buying magazines...I came here in order to find more people who appreciate fashion photography and I did find more information about magazines that i was looking for...it is a good place to find out hidden materials...because magazines often are sold sealed and by the cover you can never know if it is worth buying it. And seeing Anna Wintour on a cover will rather putt me off than make me buy it...but after knowing that Daria and Lara and some other great models on editorial pages are hiding inside, I would buy it at once!!!
As for the stylists job...i never really cared for it! The main credit always goes to the PHOTOGRAPHER and the MODEL...of course the rest of the team always contributes to the final result, but me as a former model and as a photographer...I always prefered to work with the model only or when modeling, only with the photographer...Stylists are over-exposed and over-paid these days...I was really annoyed when I was modeling for an editorial for a local magazine and realized that I was not getting paid anything, but the stylist actually got money for it.And he got a lot...the other person who got money was the photographer...and I think I took also a great part of the process, because without me their job would not be possible! And what a stylist does is picking up some clothes and putting them on a model! Anybody can do that! I know I will get slapped for saying that from 99%, maybe 100% of you...but this is how i see it.
The Alessandra Ambrozio editorial is quite interesting...and it looks like that not because some Katie put those clothes on Allesandra...it looks like that because the photographer made it look so great!!! It is also the makeup artist and the hairstylist who in my opinion are much more important than the stylist!!! I guess they should start now creating magazines for them,too!!! I think they are going too far...this industry is filled with people with such HIGH EGOS that seeing all those new magazines every month is insaine! Sure most of those people are talented and creative, but now all of them want to be stars!!! It is ridiculous...or maybe the journalist are making too much fuzz about it...i do not know.
But I think a model and a photographer are enough for a good magazine!
After all i buy magazines because of the photography, nothing else!
So dear magazine makers...try to show less text and more photography! This is what most of us here buy magazines for!!!
Leave the information for the millions of blogs and websites

Rado I adore you and think that you are a great photographer and I am pretty sure you are a fine model based on the candids that I have seen, but I disagree with you so much! I have liked editorials and campaigns for different reasons, sometimes I can pinpoint what makes it special to the concept, the photographer, model, fashion stylist, hair and makeup artists or some combination. Plus I don't think that the photographer always comes up with the concept, especially if the wardrobe person is billed as the fashion editor. At the end of the day these are fashion magazines they are there to present and promote the clothes above everything else.

I do think that you have a very legitimate beef about models not being paid and in some publications not even credited, but that does not diminish the value that the other people involved in the shoot brought to the table.

For the people, who couldn't find the magazine on newsstands and wants to buy it online, you can order it here & here.

Katie Grand needs to realise that those very people on fashionspot are some of the people who actually buy her magazines, without them she wouldn't have a magazine, l find her comment insulting!! :angry:

what i find disturbing is how this whole discussion turned into 'critics versus masses' contradiction stating that consumer is the one (and only?) who has the power to influence things and to judge things. i don't really think this is true.
personally i don't find anything insulting about ms Grand's comment. even more so i don't think she said anything bad about TFS per se. let's admit it: there are amazing creative and knowledgeable people who are experienced as much as opinionated about things and do have enough knowledge and background in fashion to articulate their point of view. but then you have just as much (or i reckon, even more) members who are just the flowers of web democracy and add quite little to the general conversation that is taking place here. i mean, how many times have you met the comments like 'omg!', 'omfg!' and my very favorite 'i don't hate this' without any reasonable explanation or even any attempt to form one. what we're discussing here is not about elitism or being snobbish or taking away consumers' right to voice their opinion (at the end of the day they make their decision by spending cash on the titles, or not spending it). i think the general idea of ms Grand is this very important problem of our web 2.0 generation when everyone is being a critic and is given right to make judgments. there's nothing wrong about it and you can't simply take this away from people, but what stands behind these opinions most of the time?
don't think i can explain this accurately, but from my point of view, there would be no difference between a random TFS'er and ms Coryn or ms Menkes if they three had approximately the same level of knowledge and insider experience and, maybe, the same amount of responsibility to back up their comments. not that only Horyn's and Menkes'es of the world must be heard, but it's kind of pathetic to diminish their voice.
cause frankly, how long does it take to type 'it su*ks' in the Magazines spread? and how much of a responsibility is there behind such an 'opinion'?

I understand and agree with every point of view here, but to me the photographer and the model are the most important parts of an editorial! And if this Industrie magazine was only about stylists and some interviews with the inside people that we never see, nobody would ever take a look at this publication! Why did they put 3 top models inside? To sell the magazine of course! because I will buy the magazine and will tear it up the moment i get home...the only pages that will stay will be the 3 editorials and nothing else!
Sure those people are creative and talented and it is about clothes, but those people are putting too much importance in it all! Take the work of Peter Lindbergh or Steven meisel...they can work without stylists...to me stylists are the people who do the "dirty" job with going around, finding the right clothes, doing the fittings...things that the real artists will not do...they just say yes or no! And they take their photos....Sure they try to show the clothes, but tell me how many times we see nothing from the clothes on the photo...or the shoes...not that i ever cared...but for the photographers the clothes are not important at all!!! They try to create a beautiful image with a beautiful model...the rest is just the neccessary part of the game and without it the whole circus would not be possible!
And the darling Katie should aknowledge all those people expressing opinions, cause we are those who buy their dream and the clothes and the magazines! Cause without us, this industry will be dead!!!
Sure we all have different reasons for buying a magazine, but that's why this a forum and we can freely(well not always) express our opinions and points of view:wink:
And by the way the Lara/Daria editorial needed no styling:wink:)lol...as you can see people are loving it and it does not show even one piece of clothing!!! Just pure natural beauty and excellent photography! This is what we need! No critics, products or other sort of sh...it. Just beauty delivered by the best!!!

Speaking generally, I think it's easy to get negative about tfs, and what we can gain from it.

Because it's a community of people, a large part of the communication seen on this site will be for social purposes. We won't be seeing huge numbers of posts that are academic displays of thought, designed to educate the 'readership'. That sort of behaviour isn't conducive to being part of a group - and this site acts as a hub of friendship and civil interaction, with many ways of showing our appreciation for each other. So I'm not surprised that we see so many posts that don't seem to 'say much' in terms of hard-argued opinion. It's not stupidity that causes it, it happens because it's a natural way for people to interact with each other on this site.

And while you might not learn something deeply intellectual from that style of interaction, that does not mean you learn nothing at all about people, and their behaviour and tastes. You get to see moods and manias and how people echo each other. I find that fascinating.

Another aspect of 'three word replies' is that not everyone has the skill to express themselves fluently in the written word - and in English. Should it mean they should stop expressing themselves at all? I'd have problems writing more than three words in reply to a post on a Chinese-language forum, but it wouldn't be for lack of thought about the topic. And that's what I bear in mind when I'm reading threads and see such replies.

Considering that many people don't bother to write to magazines with their thoughts, forums are a useful halfway house for finding out some general sentiments - especially from those who didn't purchase the magazine. A response of a few words on a website is better than no feedback at all, because at least it's some sort of reaction.

Unless someone is deliberately setting out to make some super-niche publication, an editorial team will want to produce something that achieves healthy sales and shows a good increase over time. Some anonymous person who is negative about an issue on a website today, is nothing less than a potential purchaser of your next issue tomorrow. The exciting challenge is finding ways to convert them. Any signal, any sign, is information and power.

When you find a way to take into account what happens at tfs and why, I think it becomes clear that there's no point being disappointed or dismissive about the site, when it's so rich in so many ways.

Is it a problem that everyone gets to be a critic and has the right to make judgements? What's the realistic alternative - that everyone should become self-aware and realise that because they can't explain themselves to suit somebody else's standards, they should therefore shut up until they've studied enough to make their posts acceptable? If that were the case, we would all be disqualified from speaking.

And surely the most persuasive point in favour of the 'short reply' is that you'd be getting a lot more posts like this instead.

tigerrouge it's always a pleasure ... a very great pleasure to read u're comments:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AntonHansen100
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->